Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Karl
    • By MSE Karl 31st Oct 17, 5:13 PM
    • 61Posts
    • 20Thanks
    MSE Karl
    Smart Meters
    • 31st Oct 17, 5:13 PM
    Smart Meters 31st Oct 17 at 5:13 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 09-11-2017 at 2:25 PM.
Page 21
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 23rd Apr 18, 8:19 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    House Martin
    Yes but there is one benefit if Crapita go bust, the TVL will be up in the air!

I heard on radio this morning about them wanting this money, it seems like a big ask to mem share price has already collapsed and now they want them to fund a so called restructure.

Crapita screw up so many projects it is hard to keep track and that was before staff started to be let go and many of remaining decided to abandon ship.

I think Crapita is a "dead man walking" they just do not know it.

SELL SELL SELL - cut your losses!
    Originally posted by RandomQ
    No ! buy, buy buy ! todays price is 1. 80 p , the only way is up for Capita.
    I can t understand why you keep mis- spelling Capita as Crapita .what have you got against the company ?
    That is a typical TV Licence Resistance spelling of this excellent company who last year caught and dragged to court almost 200,000 TV licence thieves. They also run a tagging contract as well so they have their detractors.

So they do a great job as I think most honest people would agree
    If they do come out of the TV licence contact someone else will take over to carry on the good work.
    The BBC are reported as probably ending the current method of collecting the TV licence fee in 2025.
    I hope it go s subscription only. The BBC make the best programs . The 150 a year is worth it for the World Snooker and Wimbledon tennis alone
    • RandomQ
    • By RandomQ 23rd Apr 18, 9:33 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    RandomQ
    I can t understand why you keep mis- spelling Capita as Crapita .what have you got against the company ?
    That is a typical TV Licence Resistance spelling of this excellent company who last year caught and dragged to court almost 200,000 TV licence thieves. They also run a tagging contract as well so they have their detractors.

So they do a great job as I think most honest people would agree
    If they do come out of the TV licence contact someone else will take over to carry on the good work.
    The BBC are reported as probably ending the current method of collecting the TV licence fee in 2025.
    I hope it go s subscription only. The BBC make the best programs . The 150 a year is worth it for the World Snooker and Wimbledon tennis alone
    Originally posted by House Martin
    Well from your posts it suggests that you work for them as one of these goons and a meter reader and who knows what else. I guess it makes sense if you are going door to door that you wear different hats.

Dragging someone in poverty into Court, clogging up the Courts, harrassing people, deceptive letters, deceptive staff, these do not add up to a wonderful job. Part of the problem is that after the BBC get a certain revenue it is all profit for Crapita, so they are commision hungry animals.

I am honest and I do not agree with TVL's methods which I find dishonest, there is 5 hours of goonish behaviour on YouTube, things like talking their way into a home when there is only a child at home, when they had no right of entry in the first place, treating the householders with utter contempt and disrespect.

This is not about one or two bad apples, the training is also online by undercover reporter.

I could go on about TVL but there is an excellent thread that cover this scum company and the scum that work for them right here:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=805699&page=93#topofpage

I do agree with you that it is best for it to go subscription and then those that want it, whereever they be in the world CAN CHOOSE TO PAY FOR IT.

Getting back to Crapita, (correct spelling) my issue with them is that they are about as incompetent as you could get an IT Services company to be.

Almost every other week I hear about a Crapita system that has failed and is impacting important if not critical servicers. Two that spring to mind are simple databases that manage new qualified Doctors and Dentists, both of these are not just CRAP but they are preventing these Clinicians from being able to practive because it is Crapita systems and processes that are causing delays, some examples were over a year. At a time when we need Doctors this is terrible.

Now they want to be bailed out, well you go invest your money, remortgage your house and buy shares in them, go on I dare you. I would not touch them with a barge pole, they ARE a Carillion just waiting to happen.

If the Government has any sense they will issue a directive that Crapita are not to be given any new contracts and all existing contracts should be put up for review for compliance and penalty clauses for non performance exercised.

At the same time they should be putting together a tender to take over or redevelop these critical services.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 23rd Apr 18, 10:16 PM
    • 4,658 Posts
    • 12,042 Thanks
    EachPenny
    So they do a great job as I think most honest people would agree.
    I'm sure you didn't mean to imply that people (like me) who think Crapita don't do a good job are dishonest did you? Your urgent clarification on this point would be much appreciated.

My mum, bless her, thinks Crapita are the most useless bunch of **** going - and she's so honest she even paid for her TV licence after she reached 75.
    Last edited by EachPenny; 23-04-2018 at 10:18 PM.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 24th Apr 18, 8:32 AM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    House Martin
    With stupid words like "goons " and Crapita used ,I dont want to discuss anything with people like you two.
    There is no need to conjure up abusive names for this excellent company doing a great job.
    My advice, let them in to see your TV equipment every time they call, and please do not have an aerial lead anywhere near your TV if you do. There is absolutely no reason to have a TV aerial nevermind the lead. anyone who has this in position is just abusing the system in my view. Sky dishes also need a TV licence to operate in live scheduled TV broadcasts.
    Eachpenny , your Mum can get every penny refunded, and YOU know that so why bring it up ? And the word "most " covers those honest people who do not appreciate the hard working officers of Capita
    With north of 200,000 a year heading for the UK courts yearly you can see why Capita officers have a healthy mistrust of people claiming not to need a TV licence . I m not concerned at all if some people claim they can t afford the licence fee. Funny how they can afford many other luxuries .
    .Capita are working for all those honest people who stump up the 150 as well as the good old BBC
    Last edited by House Martin; 24-04-2018 at 11:55 AM.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 24th Apr 18, 10:27 AM
    • 3,773 Posts
    • 5,183 Thanks
    Nick_C
    My experience of Capita goes back over 30 years, to when they were a small highly respected consultancy that was part of CIPFA.

I watched how they acquired contracts in the 1980s. I know many people who transferred across to them from the public sector. Many of those acquisitions took place under circumstances that were highly irregular.

When Rod Aldridge reigned under a cloud in 2006 under dubious circumstances, I was not in the least surprised.

The abusive term Crapita is entirely appropriate for this company in my opinion, and that's without even touching on TVL.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 24th Apr 18, 10:30 AM
    • 3,773 Posts
    • 5,183 Thanks
    Nick_C
    The current price is around 180p, although I wouldn't rule out 1.8p at some stage.

I wouldn't buy at 1.8p either.
    • Steve_1234
    • By Steve_1234 24th Apr 18, 11:42 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Steve_1234
    Can someone help me understand if my existing Dumb meter will cause me a problem should I want to get a smart meter installed?

IMy electric meter has two rates (R1 and R2), My understnading is that the house was on economy 7 and thats why the meter is the way it is. O`m on a regular tarrif with Avro Energy, but I have to give both R1 and R1 numbers when submitting my meter readings.

Will this kind of meter mean I cant have a smart meter in future?
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 24th Apr 18, 11:51 AM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    House Martin
    Can someone help me understand if my existing Dumb meter will cause me a problem should I want to get a smart meter installed?

IMy electric meter has two rates (R1 and R2), My understnading is that the house was on economy 7 and thats why the meter is the way it is. O`m on a regular tarrif with Avro Energy, but I have to give both R1 and R1 numbers when submitting my meter readings.

Will this kind of meter mean I cant have a smart meter in future?
    Originally posted by Steve_1234
    If you switch to a supplier who uses Secure Liberty smart meters, and they are very popular with small suppliers and Eon, then those meters are fine for Eco 7 .Button 6 for the readings.
    For some odd reason other suppliers don`t seem to be able to offer smart Eco 7.
    I would consult a comp site armed with a yearly kwh use with approximate night/day rate percentages to see if its better to be billed single rate or Eco 7
    • Steve_1234
    • By Steve_1234 24th Apr 18, 12:04 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Steve_1234
    Thanks!

I assume I could switch to a supplier just to get one of those meters (I`d do this prob next year when SMETS2 is actually rolling out) and then switch back shortly afterwards in order to get the best possible rate?
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 24th Apr 18, 1:46 PM
    • 4,658 Posts
    • 12,042 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Eachpenny , your Mum can get every penny refunded, and YOU know that so why bring it up ? And the word "most " covers those honest people who do not appreciate the hard working officers of Capita.
    Yes, I do know that, I also knew at the time she didn't need to pay and told her so. However she (like many others over the years no doubt) had been so brainwashed by TVL scaremongering that she didn't believe that over-75's were entitled to a free licence even if under 75's were also living in the same house. So to be 'safe' decided it was better paying than risking being hauled through the courts as a criminal.

As for Crapita, you may have had dealings with some parts of the organisation, and might be lucky that the people you know are hardworking and dedicated - there are some no doubt. But I've had personal experiece with a variety of arms of the Crapita empire in a personal and professional capacity, and every single experience I've had has assured me that Crapita could not be a more fitting name.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 24th Apr 18, 2:32 PM
    • 1,959 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    We've just moved in to a property that's had a smart meter fitted recently but had a meter reader pop around today, I thought the point of smart meters were to do away with that? He reckons they'll be back every 3 months as well.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 24th Apr 18, 2:51 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    House Martin
    We've just moved in to a property that's had a smart meter fitted recently but had a meter reader pop around today, I thought the point of smart meters were to do away with that? He reckons they'll be back every 3 months as well.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    I reckon he s wrong !
    When BG put a smart meter in we may come a couple of times to check the meter is operating properly , then the next visit may be more than 5 years down the line
    . Last I heard we were leaving smart meters visits for around 7 years if they remain with the same supplier. They do not need inspecting like dumb meters
    BG/Sainsburys are the only suppliers who do 3 monthly readings and only for the ones who need it reading that often. Onliners with dumb credit meters may get a visit every 2 years
    • RandomQ
    • By RandomQ 24th Apr 18, 4:20 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    RandomQ
    With stupid words like "goons " and Crapita used ,I dont want to discuss anything with people like you two.
    There is no need to conjure up abusive names for this excellent company doing a great job.
    My advice, let them in to see your TV equipment every time they call, and please do not have an aerial lead anywhere near your TV if you do. There is absolutely no reason to have a TV aerial nevermind the lead. anyone who has this in position is just abusing the system in my view. Sky dishes also need a TV licence to operate in live scheduled TV broadcasts.
    Eachpenny , your Mum can get every penny refunded, and YOU know that so why bring it up ? And the word "most " covers those honest people who do not appreciate the hard working officers of Capita
    With north of 200,000 a year heading for the UK courts yearly you can see why Capita officers have a healthy mistrust of people claiming not to need a TV licence . I m not concerned at all if some people claim they can t afford the licence fee. Funny how they can afford many other luxuries .
    .Capita are working for all those honest people who stump up the 150 as well as the good old BBC
    Well I am glad you do not wanr to discuss anything with people like me, I take that as a compliment considering the source.

Fact is I did not invent the words Crapita or Goons, for describing TVL, they earned those names years ago from their behaviour.

Trying to suggest they work for the people who pay is insulting as is implying those that choose not to buy the BBC (a choice the last time I looked) is disgusting.

Nice too that you assume the worst of people, there are people with old kit that have an aerial connecting that old VCR but of course you assume the worst.

Hard working? Crapita? you have got to be kidding and they are not Officers, the word Officer is reserved for people of respect who usually put their lives in harms way in the Police, Fire Ambulance and Military. Of course the behaviour of the goons may lead to someone attacking them one day, it might be fun to see on YouTube, but only if they went to far, mostly Karma will give them their just reward.

No it is Goons and that is me being nice, mostly I just think they are scum, to be able to do a job like that requires you are scum really.

If these Goons were actually Polite I might have proudly shown then my setup, it is not even CAPABLE of BBC or iPlayer, because being honest and having a soft spot for Auntie I made a decision and I stick to it. If TVL then did not come back for 3 years then I might tolerate it, but as the MSE TVL thread shows they do not respect that

Let them come in, right so as we saw on YouTube they tried to reconnect old wires that had been lying on floor in an attempt to invent evidence, of course it did not work because the person they were harassing had disconnected aerial from outside.

So many examples of TVL treachery on YouTube that your advice is a joke, from them telling lies to a Court of Law (proven) to them rummaging through someone's PC when they had no right of entry never mind of search. That is why people need to read the MSE TVL thread, so they can see the scum for what they are, commission hungry salesmen who will lie, intimidate and deceive to earn their commission. Oh and do not pretend they are not on commision, it was admitted in the undercover documentary. "get over X a week and the money really starts to kick in".

Imagine if any other company that sold you their products or services employed an army of goons harassing over 10,000 people a day, trying to gain entry with their home via deception, somehow I can't see netflix doing that. Also their multi billion spend on programming makes auntie a bit player. That is why they need to wise up and get to a subscription model but not just for UK and not just with their current programming,

It is NOT your place to tell people where they spend their money, as if it is a crime for them to spend it on a phone or whatever else just because they do not want to WASTE their money on TV Licence they do not need or want.

You are defending the undefencable. As for saying that elderly lady can get a refund how about you don't steal her momey in the first place.
    • RandomQ
    • By RandomQ 24th Apr 18, 4:24 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    RandomQ
    If you switch to a supplier who uses Secure Liberty smart meters, and they are very popular with small suppliers and Eon, then those meters are fine for Eco 7 .Button 6 for the readings.
    For some odd reason other suppliers don`t seem to be able to offer smart Eco 7.
    I would consult a comp site armed with a yearly kwh use with approximate night/day rate percentages to see if its better to be billed single rate or Eco 7
    Thanks that was a useful post

Now can you answer me a question for my niece, she moved into a flat that had a prepayment meter from previous tenant, can she use the move to a smart meter to get a normal meter albeit smart?
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 24th Apr 18, 6:07 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    House Martin
    Thanks that was a useful post

Now can you answer me a question for my niece, she moved into a flat that had a prepayment meter from previous tenant, can she use the move to a smart meter to get a normal meter albeit smart?
    Originally posted by RandomQ
    She can ask the current supplier for a credit meter There is no charge for the meter exchange but the suppliers will do a credit history check and refuse her if it does nt match their criteria, or she may have to lay down a bond.

Some suppliers are easier than others with EDF having the best record for allowing meter switches Does nt matter if its a smart or dumb meter, but she needs to get a credit meter to get the best rates possible in her area.
    Prepayment meters are now on a slightly cheaper tariff than the suppliers normal standard variable tariff but the rates are still poor compared to a fixed yearly tariff with a credit meter
    You could run some figures through a comparison website such as UKpower to see how much she can save. Use UK average consumption just to get an idea of the difference (3000kwhs electric and 13000kwhs gas ) .
    Last edited by House Martin; 24-04-2018 at 6:09 PM.
    • Michaelw
    • By Michaelw 25th Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Michaelw
    A 111 penalty if you refuse a smart meter
    A 111 penalty if you refuse a smart meter: British Gas, EDF and First Utility reserve best deals for customers with the digital gadgets

Suppliers use smart meter-only tariffs to push customers into changing meters
    Government wants smart meters in all UK homes and businesses by end of 2020
    Suppliers face fines of up to 7billion if they fail to install enough of the devices
    Customers can refuse the technology and suppliers are becoming desperate

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-5653137/A-111-penalty-refuse-smart-meter.html#ixzz5DilFFio3
    • RandomQ
    • By RandomQ 26th Apr 18, 8:06 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    RandomQ
    You forgot to add that it is an EU directive in the first place!

Also forgot the health warnings frome EU and Canadian studies.

I am not really surprised, the energy companies have us al by the short and curlies

Marktet is completely dysfunctional

OFGEM is pathetic, useless and does not protect consumer

As others have said, grab your ankles
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

652Posts Today

5,533Users online

Martin's Twitter