Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 13,776Posts
    • 13,092Thanks
    sourcrates
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12
    • 26th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12 26th Mar 17 at 12:20 PM
    Welcome to the DMP mutual support thread Part 12 !!

Here you can find help in starting and running your DMP, self managed, Stepchange, Payplan and any other DMP all welcome here, but we do encourage you to use a free service, not one you pay for.

There is help on getting interest and charges stopped, how to start with an emergency fund, defaults, token payments and lots more.

If you are in a DMP or thinking of one, this is the place to be. We are non judgmental and all questions are welcome.

Again the old thread was getting a tad long, so time for a new one.

The old thread can be found here :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5285089

Once again, i think the original "newbie" post by sazzie23 still rings true.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 26-03-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Page 189
    • jak669
    • By jak669 24th Apr 18, 11:40 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jak669
    Thank you suseka97, itís nice to know someone was in the same boat as I am. How long have you been doing your dmp and how did you find the creditors to deal with. I am just worrying about everything at the moment.

Thank you for the advice. I have only contacted one of my creditors so far - another 7 to go. My main worry is a loan I have with Shawbrook Bank for 28k including interest, all others are around the 5-10k mark so this one is the biggest.

I have only had the loan for about 4 months - tried to consolidate but just ended up getting in more of a mess.

The payment is due out of my account on Thursday - if I call them will they be able to stop the direct debit. Should I offer a smaller payment like £50 instead of the £335 that they would usually take.

Any help and advice is really appreciated.
    • Suseka97
    • By Suseka97 24th Apr 18, 12:26 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    Suseka97
    Thank you suseka97, itís nice to know someone was in the same boat as I am. How long have you been doing your dmp and how did you find the creditors to deal with. I am just worrying about everything at the moment.
    Thank you for the advice. I have only contacted one of my creditors so far - another 7 to go. My main worry is a loan I have with Shawbrook Bank for 28k including interest, all others are around the 5-10k mark so this one is the biggest.
    I have only had the loan for about 4 months - tried to consolidate but just ended up getting in more of a mess.
    The payment is due out of my account on Thursday - if I call them will they be able to stop the direct debit. Should I offer a smaller payment like £50 instead of the £335 that they would usually take. Any help and advice is really appreciated.
    Originally posted by jak669
    You're welcome - its a lot to get your head around at the outset, but once the DMP gets going, everything will settle down and you can just focus on life and not money worries

Mine was a joint DMP with my other half so whilst a high starting balance, our combined salaries allowed for quite a high monthly repayment plan. Problem was though, it was too high and after around 3 years it became unsustainable. I/we limped along for another year until I decided to bite the bullet and go self-managed (we were with SC at the time). I can understand why you'd be concerned about the Shawbrook Bank loan, but my surprise is how they would have offered you such a high loan when surely your financial situation gave some indication that it might not be the best option. Banks and Credit Card companies should check for affordability these days.

I would definitely get in contact with all your creditors now, just bite the bullet and do it - especially the Shawbrook one. I somehow doubt they would cancel the direct debit so close to the payment date, but you could try your end by contacting your bank. Some folks do offer what's called 'token' payments whilst setting up the DMP and that's down to personal choice. Some tokens go as little as £1 a month (that's what I did) but frankly its not worth the bother - for yourself or the creditor (costs them more in administration costs to process the £1 than its worth).

I should point out that when I started out I hadn't come across this forum yet - so I kind of winged it a bit and I was a complete mess (if I'm honest). I was less concerned about a knock on my door - it was more to do with pride. We'd had an excellent credit record for many a year and I held that up as some sort of accolade (which it isn't). We lived beyond our means - plain and simple, confident that we would always be able to service our debts. Then the recession hit my OH's employer and he cut back on all overtime and shift allowances - which reduced his income by around 1/3rd and then everything went 'bang'.

One of the biggest mistakes we made back in the day was to consolidate our then debts, only to end up taking out more credit over the years. So I will say its good you were refused a consolidation and can now work towards debt freedom.

We held debts mainly with Barclays (loans and credit cards), also MBNA (cc), Halifax (loan) and a few smaller credit cards balances with others. I was surprised credit card companies were so willing to keep giving my OH another card and was actually quite cross when I realised the extents of the debts - but that was then and now I handle all financial affairs He's fine with that and prefers it that way.

We had a few issues with creditors along the way (but no banging on doors issues) - but best not to overload you with too much info right now. Just see how things go and come back on here for advice as and when you need it.

Hope that helps and apologies for the lengthy post
    LBM Apr13: 14 Creditors / £85k+ owed
    Self-managed Aug17
    Current Status: 3 UE's and 3 with CCA's pending / £11k o/s
    • bumblebee78
    • By bumblebee78 24th Apr 18, 12:54 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bumblebee78
    Hi all - I have finally decided to pull my head out of the sand and deal with my debt issues. I am not currently in any arrears but my repayments are just too high for me to keep up with. I have read this thread from start to finish over the past few weeks and there is so much very helpful information for which I thank you. A large percentage of this debt has accumulated in just the last two years and I do feel ashamed. I think deep down I have been dealing (or rather not dealing) with some mental health issues but it is time for me now to get sorted.

I am not a homeowner and have decided to go down the NEDCAB DMP route and am putting together my details and working out exact current balances. I have cancelled all direct debits - only one so far this month will have tried to have been collected. I have not made any contact with any of the creditors yet. I have no savings and no emergency fund - I will build this up while making token payments to begin with.....
    Originally posted by bumblebee78
    Hi everyone. As kindly suggested, I CCA'd Barc Card for my two cards on 6th April. They have sent a reconstituted agreement for one: letter enclosing 1 page with a block relating to cancellation period and two sheets of conditions (one is double-sided) - my name and address are on one page and there is no signature. There is a date and time stamp printed in two places but it is not the same each time . I will double check this later but has that any bearing? (not at home at the moment).

I have not received anything at all about the second card that used to be with Egg - the letters were both sent in the same envelope so they can't say they got one and not the other!

I still have lots of questions and hope you don't mind me asking. I am sorting out a statement of affairs/income & expenditure to send out. Can I be cheeky and ask for suggestions as to how you all "bump" yours up?? I am trying to hold onto as much as possible for F&Fs in the future but don't want anyone querying the amounts I claim to spend on certain things that seem OTT to them.

I don't smoke but I will be taking a tip from here (January's, I think!) of putting a figure down for tobacco - no idea how much it actually costs though!!! I also don't drive and so would have no idea what would be an acceptable figure for this if I was trying to make out that I did!

I did a rough version of the NEDCAB one and at the end of it, some of the payments it was suggesting to creditors were over or very close to the current minimums. In the case of BC, it was showing as more than the 1% I want to pay to try to get no interest and charges applied.

I see there is a SC budget sheet example which has income and expenditure details, but does not show the breakdown of what you are able to pay creditors. Since I am using the NEDCAB self-managed route, is it acceptable to use the SC version instead of the NEDCAB one to send to creditors? Do you HAVE to show each creditor what you are paying (and what you owe) to your other creditors? I want to be able to tweak who gets what!!
    • jak669
    • By jak669 24th Apr 18, 1:52 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jak669
    Thanks again suseka97 - all the info you have given is helping me. I have now called marks and spencer!!!8217;s about one of my loans and they were surprisely quite nice. Put my account on a 2 month break and said they will wait for Stepchange to implement the new payment. 2 creditors called - only 6 to go.

It is very draining though - I feel mentally exhausted at the moment.

Tomorrow is pay day so I will be sorting my finances and the will try to pluck up the courage to contact the rest of my creditors.
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 24th Apr 18, 5:14 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 4,629 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Hi Ploppy.

I guess you have to get into a different sort of mindset for now. Setting aside the PR* and L*NK ones for now and focus just on the others. Are you in a position to offer any F&Fs to those? If not, just carry on with tokens until either they do accept reasonable offers, or perhaps they'll escalate collection strategies and you'll revert to what you were paying them before. I hope this is not coming across as flippant - but it's just a number and if they've all defaulted, will be falling off your credit file before the 'end date' of your SM DMP I imagine (which is a positive). With that said, if this is really starting to bother you - then make arrangements with the non-UE ones. It's your choice really.

I'm similar to you (although I appreciate my balances are less) in that PR have 3 accounts all UE (so far) and LNK have 3 which they've failed to provide on and so I haven't been paying either of them anything since last July. I have money set aside for F&Fs and for now am playing the long game.

I read on a difference thread recently about scandalous tactics of PR who apparently buy up statute barred debts from others and then try to go after the debtor/s basically chancing their arm. I'm sure some poor folks who are less informed about the statute of limitations act get anxious about their letters and end up paying some, if not all, of the debt -which makes me so darn cross and so I don't feel guilty at all not paying UEs.
    Originally posted by Suseka97

We should be in a position to make some F&F's in a few months. But I am thinking that at this stage they may not accept a very low offer, although if they only stopped to work it out, it is going to take years for them to get there money back so they might as well accept low offers...LOL
    You have done well to have cleared that amount of debt in only a few years. Ours will take years, even if we go back to what we were paying before going SM, so hoping for some F&F's in the not too distant future.
    I think I know we are doing the right thing, playing the long game. But it makes me feel slightly guilty that we are not paying it back quicker.
    DMP March '15 £57,549. Now £44,430. almost 23% paid. Went SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    Emergency fund #231... Building up slowly.
    Christmas '18 challenge... £22 /£300
    "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the end of every day"
    • Suseka97
    • By Suseka97 24th Apr 18, 10:14 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    Suseka97
    .....you have done well to have cleared that amount of debt in only a few years. Ours will take years, even if we go back to what we were paying before going SM, so hoping for some F&F's in the not too distant future.
    I think I know we are doing the right thing, playing the long game. But it makes me feel slightly guilty that we are not paying it back quicker.
    Originally posted by ploppy57
    That's kind of you to say, but in truth our repayments were crippling. For 3 1/2 to 4 years of living hand to mouth because we had the (wrong) mindset that it was best to knuckle down and get the debts paid off as quickly as possible, regardless of the hardship it caused us. At one point it put me into a spiral of depression and I retreated into a bit of a shell and for a good time stayed away from this forum because I really just couldn't handle it. I can't recall what brought me back - but on my return I started to read more and more about people taking control and going self-managed and that's when I had my 2nd lightbulb moment.

That's why I say over and over again to new DMPers to not rush into things, to take stock and build up EFs. Also to not be bullied or pressurised by creditors and/or DCAs. It's also why I advocate that people should research this thread and other platforms -because knowing your rights and gaining knowledge is power.

I understand where your 'guilt' stems from and how the years ahead may seem daunting -but you are in a better place today than you were when you started -and as each month/year rolls past, your situation improves (even if just by a small margin). There are folks out there who duck and dive to avoid their financial commitments - that's not what you are doing, rather you are handling things at your own pace and you are taking control of your financial future
    LBM Apr13: 14 Creditors / £85k+ owed
    Self-managed Aug17
    Current Status: 3 UE's and 3 with CCA's pending / £11k o/s
    • chereb
    • By chereb 25th Apr 18, 9:34 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    chereb
    Hi, stepchange have now contacted all my creditors with payment offers. Default notices if i dont pay are starting to trickle in mow. What do o do about these? Do i ignore or contact the credit card companies? Thanks
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 25th Apr 18, 9:54 AM
    • 13,776 Posts
    • 13,092 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi, stepchange have now contacted all my creditors with payment offers. Default notices if i dont pay are starting to trickle in mow. What do o do about these? Do i ignore or contact the credit card companies? Thanks
    Originally posted by chereb
    They are standard legal notices they must send by law.

Ignore them.
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• LexieLou
    • By LexieLou 25th Apr 18, 12:20 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    LexieLou
    so I've started to call the people owe money too. most have recommended contacting SC and asking them to do all the work for me. Is this something that anyone can recommend?

Also, I have 2 cards with 0% interest and I am loathed to contact them about my situation as i'm paying my debt to them @ 0% so contacting them would change that. God, I don't know what to do.
    I'm in the middle of filling in the SC debt remedy tool....

How did you all build up your emergency fund?
    £38,557 its so bad.....
    £7.50 in sealed pot 25.04.18
    • LexieLou
    • By LexieLou 25th Apr 18, 1:27 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    LexieLou
    OK I've just called Stepchange and i can pay back the money I owe in 5 yrs and 5 months....I cried when I said thank you to the lady on the phone. She was so utterly lovely... For now I think I will do Stepchange as I cannot cope with contacting all CC's individually.
    £38,557 its so bad.....
    • jak669
    • By jak669 25th Apr 18, 2:30 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jak669
    This site is excellent. I am so thankful to everyone on here for putting up there stories and offering advice. Yesterday I was having a meltdown worrying about contacting my creditors but thanks to good advice on here I have now contacted 5 of the 9 and they have been really supportive.

Marks and spencer have put a hold on my account for 30 days
    Mbna stopped all interest and charges for 30!!!8217;days
    Post office put a hold on interest and charges for 2 months
    Lloyds wouldn!!!8217;t stop interest but put a hold on overdraft fees for 30 days

This gives me a chance to set up my payments and sort paperwork with Stepchange.

I can!!!8217;t believe I have actually started contacting them. Still have santander., shawbrook and Barclays to go but it doesn!!!8217;t seem as daunting now.

Obviously this is very early stages for me but this thread has made it so much easier and really reassured me. Thank you everyone.
    • LexieLou
    • By LexieLou 25th Apr 18, 3:12 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    LexieLou

This gives me a chance to set up my payments and sort paperwork with Stepchange.

I can!!!8217;t believe I have actually started contacting them. Still have santander., shawbrook and Barclays to go but it doesn!!!8217;t seem as daunting now.

Obviously this is very early stages for me but this thread has made it so much easier and really reassured me. Thank you everyone.
    Originally posted by jak669
    I've just contacted Barclays, they were amazing. Good luck my friend...i'm with you every step of the way.
    £38,557 its so bad.....
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 25th Apr 18, 4:03 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 4,629 Thanks
    ploppy57
    That's kind of you to say, but in truth our repayments were crippling. For 3 1/2 to 4 years of living hand to mouth because we had the (wrong) mindset that it was best to knuckle down and get the debts paid off as quickly as possible, regardless of the hardship it caused us. At one point it put me into a spiral of depression and I retreated into a bit of a shell and for a good time stayed away from this forum because I really just couldn't handle it. I can't recall what brought me back - but on my return I started to read more and more about people taking control and going self-managed and that's when I had my 2nd lightbulb moment.

That's why I say over and over again to new DMPers to not rush into things, to take stock and build up EFs. Also to not be bullied or pressurised by creditors and/or DCAs. It's also why I advocate that people should research this thread and other platforms -because knowing your rights and gaining knowledge is power.

I understand where your 'guilt' stems from and how the years ahead may seem daunting -but you are in a better place today than you were when you started -and as each month/year rolls past, your situation improves (even if just by a small margin). There are folks out there who duck and dive to avoid their financial commitments - that's not what you are doing, rather you are handling things at your own pace and you are taking control of your financial future
    Originally posted by Suseka97
    We started off paying a lot more per month with SC for the first 6 months and then I got made redundant and rushed into a job that was way out of my comfort zone and way too many hours for me, just because I wanted to get debts paid. Like you, it made me ill and I ended up on the sick with anxiety for a while. So now I have a job I love but not so many hours.
    Think I will feel better about it in a few months when we are in a position to offer some F&F's maybe. One debt is down to under £200 so I intend to get that one paid in a couple of months and will feel better to have one completely gone.
    DMP March '15 £57,549. Now £44,430. almost 23% paid. Went SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    Emergency fund #231... Building up slowly.
    Christmas '18 challenge... £22 /£300
    "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the end of every day"
    • NewbieNat
    • By NewbieNat 25th Apr 18, 6:31 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    NewbieNat
    As my name suggests, I am new to DMP land, My first payment to SC is next week. I just wanted to reassure others just starting out. Please don't be sick with worry about contacting creditors, to tell them of your financial difficulties. I was in such a state I took a day off sick from work (my first sickie in 2 years) to call all 10 of my creditors. It really wasn't a traumatic experience at all, they were all matter of fact about it, well they would be as it's their job! I think SC or whoever your DMP is with can do this for you if you are starting your DMP right away. I needed to start that EF before I signed up, so called creditors & asked for the 30-day breathing space, which most extended for a further 30 days. It really isn't awful at all, they are just people doing their job. Take a deep breath, pick up the phone and get it over and done with. In the grand scheme of all things, its just phone conversations. You can then relax in knowing you have taken the first step to eventual financial freedom. :-)
    • Mcqueenm
    • By Mcqueenm 25th Apr 18, 8:06 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mcqueenm
    panic stricken
    Hi All,
    I've been on a DMP for about 10 years. the last company were really good but no longer exist. i was transferred to Gregory Pennington and have found them to be very aggressive in their approach. I feel likeIi did at day 1 again. inadequate and useless.

I cancelled my DD in protest and rang someone else a free 'pay plan'company (yes in haste).

I am looking at doing the DMP myself but am not experienced in this area. I have a few questions if anyone could help me. I am scared of doing this but i know once I've done the first one i will feel happier about what i am doing.

are these companies approachable
    what do they need from me
    is it best to call them or send them a letter. ( i have been advised to ring them for a grace month whilst i sort this out as i cancelled the direct debit)

thank you
    • EmergencyNurse
    • By EmergencyNurse 25th Apr 18, 8:25 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    EmergencyNurse
    As my name suggests, I am new to DMP land, My first payment to SC is next week. I just wanted to reassure others just starting out. Please don't be sick with worry about contacting creditors, to tell them of your financial difficulties. I was in such a state I took a day off sick from work (my first sickie in 2 years) to call all 10 of my creditors. It really wasn't a traumatic experience at all, they were all matter of fact about it, well they would be as it's their job! I think SC or whoever your DMP is with can do this for you if you are starting your DMP right away. I needed to start that EF before I signed up, so called creditors & asked for the 30-day breathing space, which most extended for a further 30 days. It really isn't awful at all, they are just people doing their job. Take a deep breath, pick up the phone and get it over and done with. In the grand scheme of all things, its just phone conversations. You can then relax in knowing you have taken the first step to eventual financial freedom. :-)
    Originally posted by NewbieNat
    Hi NewbieNat, its great to see how much more confident and positive you are now after all your previous worrying. Well done, keep it up!
    Debt March 2018 £27,596 DMP Start June 2018 Debt Free Date 2022
    • NewbieNat
    • By NewbieNat 25th Apr 18, 8:39 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    NewbieNat
    Hi NewbieNat, its great to see how much more confident and positive you are now after all your previous worrying. Well done, keep it up!
    Originally posted by EmergencyNurse
    Thanks EmergencyNurse, I really am much more positive now Oh boy, I was so worried, I was worried about worrying, and when I had a worry free day that worried me
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 25th Apr 18, 8:43 PM
    • 13,776 Posts
    • 13,092 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi All,
    I've been on a DMP for about 10 years. the last company were really good but no longer exist. i was transferred to Gregory Pennington and have found them to be very aggressive in their approach. I feel likeIi did at day 1 again. inadequate and useless.

I cancelled my DD in protest and rang someone else a free 'pay plan'company (yes in haste).

I am looking at doing the DMP myself but am not experienced in this area. I have a few questions if anyone could help me. I am scared of doing this but i know once I've done the first one i will feel happier about what i am doing.

are these companies approachable
    what do they need from me
    is it best to call them or send them a letter. ( i have been advised to ring them for a grace month whilst i sort this out as i cancelled the direct debit)

thank you
    Originally posted by Mcqueenm
    Well done for ditching GP, never pay anyone for a DMP.

You do not need experience, if you can write a letter and sort out a basic budget, then you qualify.

You do everything in writing, a simple letter or email, but a letter is preferable, to each creditor, explaining your position, and enclosing a copy of your budget, along with how much you will pay them, and when, you need there payment/bank details from them, so ask, if you need time to save an emergency fund, then tell them so.

You ask them to freeze interest and charges, tell them this may be a long term arrangement so emphercise the need to stop interest as soon as possible.

Thatís it, you pay what youíre budget allows, every month, job done.

If creditors donít agree to your plan, you still pay, but they will most likely sell on the debt, you just keep paying whoever writes to you.

Simple.

• Mcqueenm
    • By Mcqueenm 25th Apr 18, 9:29 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mcqueenm
    thank you
    Thank you Sourcrates...writing is better for me as I work full time...the DMP we were on the creditors have been happy with but I'm in the process of potentially setting up a DMP with payplan. They sent me my budget so far as they think from the information I've given them that we have 1400 disposable every month which they said the creditors would want....I wish.

I was thinking of doing the budget in the format they sent me but don't know what 'other' things to include. i wish we did have that every month...we need a new roof which I have included in the budget, a new kitchen youngest son needs a bed (he's sleeping on a put me up bed at the moment and carpet. its alright budgeting for these things but i need them doing as soon as.

So I thought a self managed DMP would be more flexible?

And thank you for the support...
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 25th Apr 18, 10:13 PM
    • 13,776 Posts
    • 13,092 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Thank you Sourcrates...writing is better for me as I work full time...the DMP we were on the creditors have been happy with but I'm in the process of potentially setting up a DMP with payplan. They sent me my budget so far as they think from the information I've given them that we have 1400 disposable every month which they said the creditors would want....I wish.

I was thinking of doing the budget in the format they sent me but don't know what 'other' things to include. i wish we did have that every month...we need a new roof which I have included in the budget, a new kitchen youngest son needs a bed (he's sleeping on a put me up bed at the moment and carpet. its alright budgeting for these things but i need them doing as soon as.

So I thought a self managed DMP would be more flexible?

And thank you for the support...
    Originally posted by Mcqueenm
    Well then wait a few months, save some money up for what you need, nothing will happen.

Tell your creditors you need to buy stuff for your kids, they will not complain, there is a massive emphersis on affordability at the moment, use it to your advantage.

Remember you are in charge here, no one else.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

652Posts Today

5,533Users online

Martin's Twitter