Which console?

Comments

• Another consideration is Games With Gold, for around £40 a year you get 4 games a month, 2 xbox one game and 2 360 games (backwards compatible).
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    PS4's PlayStation plus has gone up to £50 a year, but can usually be purchased for less with vouchers etc. You get some free games each month, but most are dross IMO. You have to have the PS+ for online play, but you can play games without online access. Unfortunately, most games seem to be released and then need tons of downloadable content (DLC) or updates straight away, so you can't get that extra DLC without the internet.
    I've been PS2, 3, and now 4, but I honestly don't think it has any stand out features above any Xbox I've seen, although I do prefer a black console with blue lights, over anything green or white. The media side of PS4 is useful if you don't have an alternative, and we have all our photos backed up onto it.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Theres no risk in that situation but most get it for builds and add ons that give you free movies etc.

So please explain the risk to your console - even in that situation
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    AndyPix wrote: »
    So please explain the risk to your console - even in that situation

They are dodgy and theres always potential for issues when using that type of thing. Yeah, you may never have a problem. No matter how small i wouldnt risk it when i can just put any risk onto a cheap firestick. The purpose is to be able to watch on your tv right? The firestick enables this. Theres no need to put it onto a console.
  • AndyPix
    edited 24 April 2018 at 9:25AM
    What issues ? What are you risking ??

Im not nip picking, im genuinly interested what you think the risk to your console is as i cant see one ..

It is simply a program, designed to run on xbox, running on xbox

Conversely to your statement, if you own an xbox, there is no need to put it on a firestick !!
  • Chickabiddybex
    Chickabiddybex Posts: 1,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer Savvy Shopper!
    You could end up with Malware on your Xbox, basically.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • AndyPix
    edited 24 April 2018 at 1:18PM
    You could end up with Malware on your Xbox, basically.

No - No you could not.

Categorically 100% definitely not

Please educate yourself on the xbone OS/hypervisor architecture before coming out with silly comments like that
  • donnajunkie
    What issues ? What are you risking ??

Im not nip picking, im genuinly interested what you think the risk to your console is as i cant see one ..

It is simply a program, designed to run on xbox, running on xbox

Conversely to your statement, if you own an xbox, there is no need to put it on a firestick !!
    No risk with kodi itself but the builds are basically criminal and supplied by criminals. They no doubt invalidate your warranty and if those who make them screw up who knows what they might do. I am not denying the risk is likely to be fairly low but you are failing to argue why its better to put it on your expensive console instead of a cheap firestick.
  • AndyPix
    No risk with kodi itself but the builds are basically criminal and supplied by criminals. They no doubt invalidate your warranty.

Please stop spouting this rubbish - of course they dont invalidate your warranty - good grief !!! where are you getting this stuff from ???

If the addons were malicious, the very very most they could do is corrupt your install of kodi its self - they have no ability whatsoever to affect your xbox - NO ABILITY WHATSOEVER TO AFFECT YOUR XBOX - said twice and in bold in the hope it gets through ..

and if those who make them screw up who knows what they might do..

Nothing, they will do nothing - they have no ability to do anything - atall - i hope i am being clear here

In the miniscule risk that one of them misbehaves, uninstall kodi and its gone - all of it

I am not denying the risk is likely to be fairly low .
    But you are failing to understand that the risk is precisely ZERO - no risk atall - none

but you are failing to argue why its better to put it on your expensive console instead of a cheap firestick.

It isnt better - or worse - it is exactly the same - that is the point
    If you already own an xbox then why buy a firestick to put kodi on :huh:

In fact Kodi will run much much better on an xbox due to the vastly superior processing power

Your comment is like telling me why i am not arguing why it is better to run netflix on an xbox or a firestick - there is no arguement to make- because both have zero risk associated ..

For programs to run on an xbox, they have to be digitally signed by microsoft - that is a cold hard fact.
    It is impossible for malware to run on an xbox - and as i mentioned above, there is the nanovisor and dual operating systems too - You really need to educate yourself on these comments you are stating as fact, because someone might read them and believe you !!

I could go on forever , for example how is an addon for kodi supposed to affect the xbox system ? all it can do is interact with kodi

etc etc etc bored now
  • donnajunkie
    Please stop spouting this rubbish - of course they dont invalidate your warranty - good grief !!! where are you getting this stuff from ???

If the addons were malicious, the very very most they could do is corrupt your install of kodi its self - they have no ability whatsoever to affect your xbox - NO ABILITY WHATSOEVER TO AFFECT YOUR XBOX - said twice and in bold in the hope it gets through ..

Nothing, they will do nothing - they have no ability to do anything - atall - i hope i am being clear here

In the miniscule risk that one of them misbehaves, uninstall kodi and its gone - all of it

But you are failing to understand that the risk is precisely ZERO - no risk atall - none

It isnt better - or worse - it is exactly the same - that is the point
    If you already own an xbox then why buy a firestick to put kodi on :huh:

In fact Kodi will run much much better on an xbox due to the vastly superior processing power

Your comment is like telling me why i am not arguing why it is better to run netflix on an xbox or a firestick - there is no arguement to make- because both have zero risk associated ..

For programs to run on an xbox, they have to be digitally signed by microsoft - that is a cold hard fact.
    It is impossible for malware to run on an xbox - and as i mentioned above, there is the nanovisor and dual operating systems too - You really need to educate yourself on these comments you are stating as fact, because someone might read them and believe you !!

I could go on forever , for example how is an addon for kodi supposed to affect the xbox system ? all it can do is interact with kodi

etc etc etc bored now
    You seem very keen for people to put dodgy stuff onto their consoles. You almost seem to be ordering people do so with your tone. You say its 100% safe and you may well be right, at least for now but what if someone unscrupulous decides to try and work around it and succeeds in the future?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure