Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LittleBFG
    • By LittleBFG 16th Apr 18, 2:27 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    LittleBFG
    How much info can a bank legally ask about my interest only mortgage?
    • 16th Apr 18, 2:27 PM
    How much info can a bank legally ask about my interest only mortgage? 16th Apr 18 at 2:27 PM
    Hi all

I recently got a letter from my bank asking for information from me about how I plan to re-pay my interest only mortgage. It's got some 22 years left to run and I am putting money into an ISA and other savings schemes in order to be able to repay the mortgage.

I'm fine giving the bank general details and even a redacted statement showing the value of each but they are asking for account names, account numbers as well as the value of any savings I have. This feels rather intrusive. Can they legally request so much information?

Thanks

LittleBFG
Page 1
    • TrickyDicky101
    • By TrickyDicky101 16th Apr 18, 2:39 PM
    • 2,984 Posts
    • 1,924 Thanks
    TrickyDicky101
    • 16th Apr 18, 2:39 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 2:39 PM
    They can certainly request it - whether you choose to supply the requested information is up to you. The bank is highly unlikely to be able to call in your loan should you choose not to supply all the details.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 16th Apr 18, 2:40 PM
    • 16,716 Posts
    • 8,688 Thanks
    ACG
    • 16th Apr 18, 2:40 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 2:40 PM
    Legally they can ask for whatever they like more or less.
    I think you are probably over reacting a little.

They are asking how you plan on clearing the Mortgage.
    So your answer would be, I am putting x in to an ISA each month.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 16th Apr 18, 3:16 PM
    • 7,384 Posts
    • 7,449 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:16 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:16 PM
    Not only is there nothing prohibiting them from asking, but I think they're legally required to ask. That doesn't necessarily mean you need to answer all of their questions, it's more to ensure that you can't argue you weren't reminded of the need to have a means of repaying the capital.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 16th Apr 18, 3:23 PM
    • 15,516 Posts
    • 22,150 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:23 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:23 PM
    Not only is there nothing prohibiting them from asking, but I think they're legally required to ask. That doesn't necessarily mean you need to answer all of their questions, it's more to ensure that you can't argue you weren't reminded of the need to have a means of repaying the capital.
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    It's certainly a FCA thing.

Strategies exist to contact customers with interest-only mortgages, understand their repayment plans and provide appropriate solutions where no suitable plan is in place.

https://www.fca.org.uk/publications/thematic-reviews/tr18-1-fair-treatment-existing-interest-only-mortgage-customers

Makes sense. Bank writes to customer to point out that 300k is due and payable at some future date, and to ask what repayment plan is in place.

Customer is at liberty to tell the bank to naff off or not respond at all.
    • LittleBFG
    • By LittleBFG 16th Apr 18, 9:53 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LittleBFG
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:53 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:53 PM
    Hello

Thank you folks for your input and insight. I think I!!!8217;ll do as planned - thank them for contacting me, tell them I have savings and am putting money buy to pay off the mortgage when due and total value to-date is X. And then tell them to naff off/ignore requests for account names, numbers and names of the providers.

I!!!8217;ll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.
    • Typhoon2000
    • By Typhoon2000 16th Apr 18, 10:48 PM
    • 856 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    Typhoon2000
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:48 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:48 PM
    The standard answer if you don!!!8217;t want any enquiries about accounts and amounts and such Is that you are going to sell the property.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

652Posts Today

5,533Users online

Martin's Twitter