Egg PPI

Long story but here goes...

I used a management company to sniff out any PPI I may have had, who offered to do this free, but if they pursued the claim it'd be subject to a 30% charge. So naturally I let them find the PPI then took the claims on myself. I have reasons for this other than saving the 30%.

They said I'd had PPI with Egg. Barclaycard, who bought Egg, claim not to be able to find an account in my name. I called back the claims company, who say that Egg still exists as a legal entity and that they deal with them direct.

I would have thought that the liability for PPI claims would have passed to Barclaycard, but it seems that Egg still deal with PPI complaints?

Has anyone dealt with them directly and know how I could get in touch please? Or any other advice?

thanks

WBD.

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    ...Has anyone dealt with them directly and know how I could get in touch please? Or any other advice? ...

Canada Square Operations
    https://www.citibank.co.uk/personal/complaints-egg.do
  • Thank you for that. That's been a great help, however in filling out their online questionnaire, there are a couple of questions which it won't let me get past because (and these are open questions like "why are you unhappy about the insurance?") whatever I type, it says "Enter valid reason" in red and won't accept the answer?
  • That is quite funny! My advise would be to write to Citi Bank and not use a consumer questionnaire. It generally limits the information ypu provide because it's only intended to be supporting information. By all means print one off and fill it in but sending a full letter of complaint makes your position clear and means the aspects you raise will be properly responded to - not generically printed off from a system. Citi Financial are extremely difficult to work with!
  • socks_uk
    socks_uk Posts: 2,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I've not tried to claim back on my EGG card as I didn't know where to start but thank you for sharing your information, I'll just have to find my paperwork in the 'filing system' I have - cardboard boxes!
    DEBT FREE BY 60
    Starting Debt 21st August 2019 = £11,024
    Debt at May 2022 = £5268
    Debt Free Challenge - To be debt free by August 2024
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,005 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    but if they pursued the claim it'd be subject to a 30% charge. So naturally I let them find the PPI then took the claims on myself
    Just to clarify the above, did you sign anything with this company?, if you did and you get any redress, the banks will let the claims co know and you will be liable for the 30% plus VAT.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    amersall wrote: »
    Just to clarify the above, did you sign anything with this company?, if you did and you get any redress, the banks will let the claims co know and you will be liable for the 30% plus VAT.
    In recent times, desperate Claims Companies have offered to find out if there is PPI for "free". However, they are careful not to reveal full details of any they "find", usually by simply ringing the lenders!:rotfl:

They then expect the customer to sign a full contract allowing them to complain on his behalf.

Obviously the OP is too wily for that ;)

However, he may think he's saved himself some effort here, but he's had to fill in claim company forms granting them permission when contacting his lenders directly would have been far more straightforward and probably a whole lot quicker.

I agree he should definitely check the terms of any "free" permission he's signed.
  • Yes, the Claims Guys offer a free no obligation service to find the PPI, then you authorise them to claim it.

And, in the interests of full disclosure, my other reason was that in the past, I short settled some of my loans and credit cards after a short time with the CCCS. If I had used TCG to get the PPI, the bank(s) could have said, "yes, you're due £1000 in PPI but we will offset that against the short settlement", meaning I got nothing but would still have been liable for £333 to TCG.
  • LuxuryWoman
    LuxuryWoman Posts: 156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I just complained via the Barclays website PPI complaints link.
  • Just an update on this. Recently received a cheque from Canada Square for £600.
  • How long did it take them to process from when you issued the claim forms?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure