Car Insurance: Do I Have To Declare All My Points

I got 3 points in Nov 2003 (zapped by a mobile camera).

Then 3 points in 2005 (same road, same camera!)

Someone told me today that points only last three years, and they aren't automatically removed, you have to ask for them to be removed. I've been googling this, and the sources say the points are valid for three years, but you must keep them on your license for 4 years.

So, should I declare the 3 points from 2003 because they are on my license, or not declare them because they are no longer valid?

Comments

• DaisyFlower
    DaisyFlower Posts: 2,677 Forumite
    Some insurance companies ask if you have had any in 3 years, some say 5 years - if it doesnt indicate the period I would declare them.
  • A lot of companies ask for details of convictions within the last 5 years - irrespective of what is currently listed on your license.
  • A lot of companies ask for details of convictions within the last 5 years - irrespective of what is currently listed on your license.

ps. slow down on that road where that camera
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A lot of companies ask for details of convictions within the last 5 years - irrespective of what is currently listed on your license.

ps. slow down on that road where that camera

Some Insurers are even more vague and simply ask for details of any convictions, points and penalties without any timeframe. That is open ended enough to need you to declare everything since you started driving.
    The man without a signature.
  • If in doubt declare them. Otherwise if you need to make a claim, they may say your insurance is invalid if they find out about undeclared points.
  • raskazz
    raskazz Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 you are required to disclose all convictions for which a fine was imposed for five years after the conviction, regardless of whether the points have been removed from your license for totting-up purposes.

So you must disclose them both.
  • Hey_Dude
    Hey_Dude Posts: 1,786
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If in doubt declare them. Otherwise if you need to make a claim, they may say your insurance is invalid if they find out about undeclared points.

Doubtful.

Most would sort the claim and recalculate what your premium should have been at the start if they knew about the offence and then ask you to stump up the difference.

Dude
  • raskazz
    raskazz Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Hey_Dude wrote: »
    Doubtful.

Most would sort the claim and recalculate what your premium should have been at the start if they knew about the offence and then ask you to stump up the difference.

Dude

Most will re-write the cover and charge the difference where possible. Problem arises when the policy you are placed on has tight underwriting criteria and would not have accepted the risk had they known about the conviction. Not a sensible gamble to take.
  • guppy
    guppy Posts: 1,084
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hey_Dude wrote: »
    Doubtful.

Maybe, but they would do this for their own reasons only. You'd be relying on their good will. You have a duty to disclose all relevant information when you take out insurance. If its a big claim, they are more likely to try and wriggle out of paying.

However a 2002 court case (see link below) indicates that it is unlawful for insurers to rely on endorsements relating to spent convictions in order to disadvantage a driver. If firms insist on asking questions about spent convictions, then they must effectively ignore the answers they receive.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/25/25-disclosure-of-spent-motoring-convictions.htm
  • I had been getting my car insurance updated automatically by direct debit and had not updated my fixed penalty points with my insurers.
    When I attemted to make them aware they said I then owed them 987 pounds backdated for the last three years plus next year's premium of 755 pounds (up from 260).
    I said of course I was unable to pay this and wish to cancel my insurance. They said I would still owe the 987 pounds.
    I spoke to a manager who said he would see what he could do and would call me back. Of course he hasn't and I'm now wondering what course of action I can take?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure