"Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it."

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,816
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,073
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks beanie :)

I've done lots of putting away today. My bedroom is full of glass. Did the 'indoor gardening' and a few houseplants have been binned. The others have been given a reprieve but I'm not sure how much longer they'll survive mistreatment.

Did a bit of outdoor gardening - deadheading and cutting back. Two more bags of garden waste in the queue to go. And a vase of roses indoors which smell fabulous.

Overall rather too much lying around not doing much and eating... but a late night walk has offset some of the overindulgence. I'm supposed to be on a 1000 calorie per day deficit but have only just managed to break even today. I was going to reduce it to 500, but I given today's performance I think I need another week of trying hard!
  • greenbee
    Forumite
    Haven't been here for a long time... and haven't made much progress. I've moved a few bits and pieces, packed up some boxes but as the builders still haven't given me a date or a schedule I'm not doing too much or I'll be living in a building site without the building going on...

I have had one quote for installing a stove, so am now ringing round to get others as it was about twice what I was expecting. Plus despite being told to contact me email, they kept ringing me with queries, which isn't helpful when you work from home.

I've also managed to book my boiler service - I keep meaning to move it to the summer but then putting it off. However, it is now in the diary.

I took advantage of Hurricane Ophelia to get my brother over here and take down the trampoline, which is now at his house (probably still in bits) and he has brought the greehouse frame, door, window and one pane of glass over. I need to order all the rest of the bits I need to put it back together, and then work out how I will fix it to the base.

Given the wind today, I think I should probably chase the tree surgeon as well.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,816
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Enjoy your weekend :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • A 1000 calorie a day deficit???!!!
  • Hi greenbee, nice to see someone else who bought a home with 'potential'. I think it's better not to think about the cost (OH came out with 'oh we put about 20k in repairs' to someone last week. I laughed.)

Sounds like it will be wonderful when it's done though, and 8 years is a huge amount to knock off!
  • greenbee
    Forumite
    A 1000 calorie a day deficit???!!!
    Yep. Easy when I get plenty of exercise. Not so good when I sit on my bum all day. It seems to be working (I'm hiding from my GP until I've lost the weight I was supposed to have lost ages ago...), but actually the fitness and body fat percentages are more important.
    michelle09 wrote: »
    Hi greenbee, nice to see someone else who bought a home with 'potential'. I think it's better not to think about the cost (OH came out with 'oh we put about 20k in repairs' to someone last week. I laughed.)

Sounds like it will be wonderful when it's done though, and 8 years is a huge amount to knock off!
    Definitely best not to add it up... it's one thing if you're doing up something as an investment and need to manage it as a project with a budget. But when it's your home, it tends to evolve.

Chimney man came round this morning, so hopefully I'll get a quote for doing the chimney and fitting a stove. I need to go to a showroom at some point too... Hopefully I can get the builders to cut some of the marble or granite that my brother and I have spare from other projects for the hearth, which should save a bit of money. Most people seem to offer slate, which I don't like because it marks easily. Plus I don't see why I should buy it if I already have something I can use...
    beanielou wrote: »
    Enjoy your weekend :)
    Thanks Beanie! You too.

Weather is windy and wet and changeable, so I'm listening to the radio (Philip Pullman's new book) and cooking. I've just made vast amounts of red cabbage slaw, next up is a fish curry (I really should make these things when I can open all the windows!), and then possibly some more soup.
  • greenbee
    Forumite
    Called the electrician this morning (after paying his bill) and asked him to price up the outstanding work and let me have some potential dates for finishing off. He tells me that the builder is intending to be here in November, but I pointed out that I haven't been told that, so I'm going ahead and organising things myself. I suspect he might galvanise the builder into action...

Once I have dates from the electrician I'll start working other things out. I saw friends yesterday and they have the name of someone who can screed the floor and are also able to order flooring and underlay at cost price for me. If I measure the rooms they'll also work out how much I need including wastage.

So all I'll need to find then is a decorator (filling and painting) and someone to lay the flooring, block up a doorway, and sort out the doors. ALthough there is a bit of ceiling to sort out and some boxing in of pipes to do as well. I'm trying not to think of things that might complicate it. I just want it done...
  • Organising tradespeople is a real challenge. Well done for having achieved so much so far!
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • greenbee
    Forumite
    Builder came round this morning. He's free from the middle of next week. I pointed out that it would take me longer than that to clear the rest of the stuff from downstairs as I'm away for a few days. Which is why I'd asked for dates and a schedule.

Second chimney quote was about half the price of the first one. I just need to choose a stove, but it makes sense to leave that until after the fireplace is out and we know how much space there is.

We're just deciding whether to go away for Christmas. If we do, then I think I might just keep the work going until they're done. It would be good to have it all finished by the end of January and not to have to see the builders again for a while :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback