PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

carpet cleaning

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    And if that doesn't do it Febreeze is really good stuff.

Your various cleaning liquids will have soaked some of the "stuff" deeper into the carpet - so don't mess about spraying, take the top off and pour enough of the the Febreeze on for it to be able to soak down to reach in.

(You can put your thumb over the opening and so sprinkle rather than pour).

As per usual the advice is to test somewhere that doesn't show (if you can) before going for it.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sprinkle bicarbonate of soda onto the DRY rug ,leave a few hours then hoover off

it should neutralise the smell

but like squeaky i am a febreeze fan too :)
  • Crazychik
    Crazychik Posts: 1,994 Forumite
    Im with Sqeaky and Rachie B on this 1, Im a big fan of Bicarbonate of soda, use it everywhere, from the cooker, WM, bathroom, stains. etc. Then fabreeze mad afterwards. !!!!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • My daughter knocked over a full mug of tea on her pink bedroom carpet.
    It was mopped up fairly quickly I've been told but obviously with just a wet cloth.
    I've only just noticed it as she's gone off to Uni, and would like to clean it out as it's now a large brown stain.
    The carpets 80/20 wool.
    All ideas gratefully accepted
    Thanks
    :confused::confused:
  • Anybody ?
    :confused:
  • The fact that it has dried is a bit of a nightmare, but hopefully it hasn't set too badly. Try this howtocleananything website.
  • hydrogen peroxide!!

but be careful try it on an inconspicuous area first. (my friend had a stain on his carpet last week and he used this)

also be careful. it is an oxidising substance, if you get it on your hands wash it quick and store in a safe place away from other chemicals. (if you want some let me know im sure my lab wont miss some...maybe i can make a cleaning product for you which may help clean it)

Abs
    Certified Resident Wanty Stalker #001 :D

Member No. 69 of all MSE clubs. :whistle:
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Try a steam cleaner. I'm a black coffee drinker & on a couple of occasions have spilt a little coffee on my light beige bedroom carpet and not noticed for a day or so. The steam cleaner has worked each time. lovely machine.:p
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • tee_pee_2
    tee_pee_2 Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    I am trying to sort out a big mess in my lounge. I have a light colured carpet and a toddler:eek: ( I know)
    When she first changed from a bottle to a drinking cup we had several accidents and lots of spills on carpet, which I cleared up with 1001 carpet cleaner. I have always used this and had no issues, but I have noticed that there are several dark patches on my carpet where I had rubbed the stain.

As I get a little over enthusiatic when rubbing I made the patch quite a lot bigger, and now I have dirty marks and I am scared to used 101 incase | make it even worse than it already is.

I have contemplated having it cleaned. but it is too expensive, and I thought about using carpet cleaner myself but can't bring myself to try ( scared to make more mess)

Thing is christmas is coming and I want my house back to it's lovey pre child state. any tips on what I can try to get smarks out.:confused: I have tried hot soapy water and although the cloth was mucky the mark didn't disappear. it is almost like there is something on the carpet now which attracts dirt.

any suggestions
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi tee pee,

There are quite few threads on cleaning carpets to be found in the Cleaning section of the MEGA index sticky at the top of the forum listing. Between them they should be able to help you out here.

Good luck :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport