Transferring small sum abroad...for free?

Options
Am I asking too much expecting to find a way of transferring thirty quid to a mate abroad for next to nothing?Tried paypal but the country they`re in is not ready to deal with that method,in an er,straightforward and transparent way,I tried and have the money back.Just hoping to help them out as they wait for temps to rise a bit from the -11 in the European country they are headed to work in.
Someone suggested Transferwise,but they were from the USA.
I rang the Halifax,took 15 mins to get through(snow on the line?)and they wanted over nine quid to do the transaction.
Thanks in anticipation.

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    what kind of account do you have with Halifax?
    The basic account might offer free transfers abroad but if you have a proper account you won't qualify for one.
  • MDMD
    MDMD Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    First direct do not charge, although clearly you will need a current account with them and they probably give a rubbish rate and charge that way.

https://www1.firstdirect.com/1/2/travel-and-international/international-payments
  • No_6
    No_6 Posts: 835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you pay for my flight !!

I will deliver it in person....with a nice SMILE
    no extra fees.
  • hxm
    hxm Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Worldremit? It's not for free, but their charges are much lower than moneygram or western union. I've been using them to send small sums to friends in Kenya. However, they use a mobile wallet system there. Not sure what is available in Europe
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/foreign-currency-exchange has a fairly comprehensive review of the options....
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You might mention the country or currency he needs, and how your mate is able to receive the thirty quid.

For example, is he British and has a UK bank account with card to which you could send the money for him to withdraw from an ATM? Or is it a non-UK bank account to which you must send it?

If the latter, TransferWise or Revolut will be cheap/free.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Houtman
    Houtman Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks very much folks for your input.
    Very funny No_6...if I had the spondoolies to pay for your flight,I`d go myself :)
    hxm,I used your suggestion,absolutely perfect....but then it would be because it went to Nairobi,haha.

01p transfer fee.Checked online Exchange Rate against that of what WorldRemit did for me(did me for,haha)and that correlates to 44p,so I`m quite happy with that,when I consider the over nine quid the Fallihax were wanting to bleed me for.
    Thanks again,would have been back sooner,but couldn`t.
  • elpwerko
    elpwerko Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    signed up through Quidco link in June - Sent 100 Euros and £30 has tracked.

Worldremit also sent me a £20 voucher which I have just taken advantage of today.

Good deal for me. Especially if the £30 gets paid too.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Houtman wrote: »
    Am I asking too much expecting to find a way of transferring thirty quid to a mate abroad for next to nothing?Tried paypal but the country they`re in is not ready to deal with that method,in an er,straightforward and transparent way,I tried and have the money back.Just hoping to help them out as they wait for temps to rise a bit from the -11 in the European country they are headed to work in.
    Someone suggested Transferwise,but they were from the USA.
    I rang the Halifax,took 15 mins to get through(snow on the line?)and they wanted over nine quid to do the transaction.
    Thanks in anticipation.

Depends on what you mean by "free". There are lots of services offering fee-free foreign transfers. But exchange rates vary. So in a comparison of fee vs exchange rate you could find that paying a fee is cheaper. Anyway here's a link:
    https://www.money.co.uk/money-transfers/online-money-transfers-abroad.htm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport