Equifax Trial offer

Comments

• RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Not sure if the Equifax page has been discussed but they make no mention of any postal addresses being compromised.

https://www.equifax.co.uk/incident.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw37fZBRD3ARIsAJihSr1xgYqlJdQYX10GrvmY599d8X_UndsD1I3voR2SLN5LwaM3mi6a7tcaAoL5EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,245 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    OceanSound wrote: »
    Then how come he didn't say 'I would never have a formal agreement with them....'. In fact he said 'I have never had....'.
    For future, he should've used 'I would never have'.
    You seem to have a habit of imposing spurious grammatical and word choice rules on others. It wasn't so long ago you did it to me, now you're at it with poor ColdIron. If you want to be pedantic, you are going to need to brush up on your reading and comprehension. :p
  • OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    masonic wrote: »
    You seem to have a habit of imposing spurious grammatical and word choice rules on others. It wasn't so long ago you did it to me, now you're at it with poor ColdIron. If you want to be pedantic, you are going to need to brush up on your reading and comprehension. :p
    so now we are discussing my personality, and what I need to brush up on?:p
  • masonic
    so now we are discussing my personality, and what I need to brush up on?:p
    For future, you should've used 'behaviour' instead of 'personality'. Ok, I've had my fun, I'll stop now :rotfl:
  • Going back to the original post, did you actually manage to cancel the offer? Did you get an email to say it had been cancelled?

I cancelled after 1 week using the online cancellation page and a message was displayed saying it had been cancelled, but my credit card has just been charged 7.95. I will be disputing it with the card company. I didn't receive any cancellation email though, so it will probably get a bit untidy.
  • OceanSound
    edited 17 July 2018 at 6:37AM
    alanjhd wrote: »
    Going back to the original post, did you actually manage to cancel the offer? Did you get an email to say it had been cancelled?

I cancelled after 1 week using the online cancellation page and a message was displayed saying it had been cancelled, but my credit card has just been charged 7.95. I will be disputing it with the card company. I didn't receive any cancellation email though, so it will probably get a bit untidy.
    I didn't cancel (see post#20), so no idea if they send a confirmation email. However, when I go to 'My Account' there is a tab called 'Order history'. There I can see an entry on 24/06/2018 called 'Equifax Credit Report & Score / Cancelled for Exchange - x-xxxxxxxx xxxx'

Which shows I've 'renewed'. Maybe you can have a look in there.

Probably not much use to you, but I did take screenprints of each screen when going through the cancellation. Even though I ended-up staying, I've kept these. (maybe something you can consider for the future).

Also, if you don't see confirmation of cancelling (through email or onscreen), contact the provider directly.

As an added measure, you can also contact the bank directly and cancel your continuous payment authority (CPA):
    The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) has stated banks MUST cancel a continuous payment authority when asked. It also added that if further payments are taken in error after a customer asks for a cancellation, the bank must refund them.
    I've done the above when I cancelled subscription with CreditAngel. My Bank (FirstDirect) was more than glad to keep an eye out for any funny business (by credit angel).

Perhaps mention the FCA when you write to your bank.
  • OceanSound
    masonic wrote: »
    Ok, I've had my fun, I'll stop now :rotfl:
    We (including newbies trying to make sense of this thread) are pleased that you've had your fun. ;)
    For future, you should've used 'behaviour' instead of 'personality'.
    Careful everyone the 'behaviour police' is out in force.:p
  • masonic
    edited 21 July 2018 at 9:51AM
    We (including newbies trying to make sense of this thread) are pleased that you've had your fun. ;)

Careful everyone the 'behaviour police' is out in force.:p
    Perhaps in the month that's elapsed between me making my post and you thinking up a response, you've forgotten that your contribution to that part of the discussion was to try to point out purported grammatical errors in someone else's post when none existed.

For the benefit of "newbies trying to make sense of this thread", my fun was in pointing out your own word choice errors. Only the 'grammar police' need worry about the 'behaviour police', and only then if they don't practise what they preach. ;)
  • masonic
    Bringing us back on topic, it was previously pointed out that there were three free services covering all three UK CRAs. Now that Experian intends to buy the ClearScore service - if it succeeds to convince the competition and markets authority - this will leave us without a free way of checking Equifax.
  • How do you cancel online? I've always had to phone them. Or do you use secure messaging? I don't trust them to actually action that in time haha.

I always get offered that free for a few months then £2.99 a month afterwards. They email you 30 days before which is pretty helpful. I've repeated the following trick for quite a while

Signup via TCB/Quidco for the free trial, get paid anywhere between £4-£9 for doing it
    Use the trial as I'm genuinely interest
    Cancel after day 21 (as per cashback rules)
    Get offered the free trial for 3 months, take that just because it's a freebie (although not a great deal of use)
    Phone up near the end of the 3 months to cancel that "can't afford it" etc.

By which time, it's almost time to start step 1 again via TCB/Quidco.

I can't remember the time limit - I think it's shorter than 6 months, something like 3/4 months, where Equifax will block you from signing up for a new trial (you've already had this free trial, you won't get it again at this time) so I just close it down, try again a few weeks later and it goes through.

With Clearscore etc there isn't a great deal attached to going straight to them - I've found they are more helpful with disputes when you are on a trial though. Credit scores aren't everything, but it is worth monitoring if you've got a big application coming up (mortgage for me, so I'll be repeating soon!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure