Knee Replacement Recovery

Options
2»

Comments

• Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. I was becoming very concerned about his sickness, however now it appears normal especially since he is taking pain killers.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cotta wrote: »
    I was becoming very concerned about his sickness, however now it appears normal especially since he is taking pain killers.

by sickness- do you mean nauseous? A couple of things might help if that is the feeling:
    Travel bands- you can get these from £1- even full price they are not that dear. These work on acupressure points on the wrist (not the pulse point) and acupuncture/pressure works on 90% of the population. If you try these do make sure they are worn in the correct place.

Stugeron tablets. These are for controlling travel sickness and obviously you would need to check for contr indications with other drugs

I nearly turned into an omelette for the first few weeks after both my ops- they were the only thing I could eat easily.
    HTH
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If he is feeling nauseaus, not eating could actually make it worse. The problem is it sounds like he is fairly isolated so eating little and often is possibly difficult, but it would help.

Is there any way more support could be organised? Does he have many people go to see him?
  • Cotta
    Options
    ***Update***

Dad's actual knee seems to be well on the mend, however general sickness has continued and I am convinced he picked up something while in hospital which has lingered. Although his visit was around the beginning of April, prior to this he was in good spirits. Now he is always tired, losing interest in food and doing anything and he feels something is hanging on his chest and this has left him with a continued cough and on top of this he is sleeping all the time. We have brought him to the doctor a number of times to no avail and antibiotics etc have made no improvement.

I am just wondering if it is possible he may have picked up something while in hospital and what our best course of action is? I'm frustrated that innumerable visits to the doctor have been fruitless with even a chest x-ray coming back clear.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Did he have nitrous oxide gas? If so, it might be worth discussing vitamin B12 with the doctor: https://bnf.nice.org.uk/drug/nitrous-oxide.html#monitoringRequirements
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Cyclizine
    Cyclizine Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    Did he have nitrous oxide gas? If so, it might be worth discussing vitamin B12 with the doctor: https://bnf.nice.org.uk/drug/nitrous-oxide.html#monitoringRequirements

Unlikely, as it would be very unusual to have have had a general anaesthetic for a knee replacement. Also, even if he had, it is unlikely he would have had nitrous oxide as part of a modern general anaesthetic. Even if he had, you have to have multiple prolonged exposures in a short period. A single exposure to nitrous oxide does not cause marrow suppression.

I suspect he hasn't 'picked up' anything in hospital, particularly given negative blood tests an chest x-rays. The recovery time in the elderly, for what is major surgery, can be prolonged. It is a vicious circle of decreased function leading to deconditioning which makes it all the harder to mobilise and participate in activities of daily living. He will be losing muscle mass, so even small things will be exhausting. Has he been back to see the physios and OTs? Is he still taking opioid painkillers (like codeine/co-codamol; dihyrocodeine, tramadol etc)? Is he managing any diet? Have you tried nutritional substitutions like full fat for semi-skimmed milk or supplements?
  • Cotta
    Options
    Finally got confirmed that an infection was picked up in the hospital, he has now returned to have this treated. We really had to force the issue but at least now we know what is wrong.
  • milatuk
    Options
    your dad's 80 year old body thinks its being in a major accident where bones have been broken and tissue has being cut open. this is a lot of trauma for a young body never mind an elderly one. being off food is weird but not unheard of. physical stress can put people off food. Just check the knee for any obvious signs of infection as that can cause lack of appetite but thats unlikely. probably just a combination of the post op painkillers and the trauma of the op
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure