When do start paying tax? Not earned the threshold yet.

Probably a really daft question but here goes..... I got a promotion in January this year. I went over the tax threshold and paid tax. That's fine, I knew this would happen.

This new job means for the first time in years (part time working mum) I will be earning more than my tax allowance. But I'm already paying tax. I assumed that I would only pay tax once I've actually earned £11,850, which wouldn't be until January 2019 or so. Or do they base it on what I will earn this year in total and tax from the beginning?

Comments

• If you are on the standard S1185L or 1185L tax code then you pay tax when your annual earnings are above £11859 i.e. more than £988.25/month.

Tax is deducted during the year not when you actually go over the level of your tax code.

So if in April you earned £900 and have the standard tax code then there is no tax to pay as annual earnings would be expected to be £10,800 (£900 x 12).

If you were then paid £1,000 in May still no tax because your annual earnings would be expected to be £11,400 (£1,900 / 2 x 12).

Then get paid £1,100 in June and you would pay a little tax because your annual earnings would be expected to be £12,000 (£3,000 / 3 x 12).
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 June 2018 at 9:34AM
    EssexGirl wrote: »
    Probably a really daft question but here goes..... I got a promotion in January this year. I went over the tax threshold and paid tax. That's fine, I knew this would happen.

This new job means for the first time in years (part time working mum) I will be earning more than my tax allowance. But I'm already paying tax. I assumed that I would only pay tax once I've actually earned £11,850, which wouldn't be until January 2019 or so. Or do they base it on what I will earn this year in total and tax from the beginning?

If you think about it the idea of paying tax only after you reached the threshold would result in a massive difference in your take home pay before and after reaching that threshold.
    The actual system used gives you a better spread of tax over the year.
    Taking someone who is monthly paid as an example and assuming that they are at work all year.
    Month 1 they get 1/12 of their tax allowance and pay tax on anything over that. If under that 1/12 then no tax is due.
    Month 2 they get 2/12 of their tax allowance which is put against their total taxable earnings for both months and anything over this 2/12 is taxable. Actual tax paid is this tax due figure to date less the tax paid in month 1
    Month 3 they get 3/12 of the allowance set against earnings for all three months and again tax due is calculated from which is deducted tax paid so far to get tax to be paid for month 3.
    This goes on until month 12 is reached when they get the full tax allowance to go against their full earnings to show their full tax due for the year. The tax already paid in months 1 to 11 is deducted from this to give their final months tax due.
    If for example say at month 6 they had no or very low earnings it might happen that their tax due at that point was lower than their tax paid up to month 5 then the difference would be repaid to them as a tax rebate.

In this way tax is spread evenly through the tax year (or as evenly as possible ) just going up and down as your earnings go up and down.

Occasionally you can get a variation in tax that seems to be out of this pattern but this is caused by large variations in earnings; they appear a bit strange but are all part of the self correcting nature of PAYE.
    Provided that your tax code is correct at month 12 your tax you have paid will be correct.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 June 2018 at 9:43AM
    Or do they base it on what I will earn this year in total and tax from the beginning?

Yes...............and no. The annual allowance is broken down into monthly/weekly chunks to give you a tax free amount each month/week.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • EssexGirl
    EssexGirl Posts: 976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thank you for the explanations. It makes perfect sense when you know the answer. Just a bit disgruntled to be bringing in similar to what I was earning pre promotion because I've gone over the tax and ni barriers.
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you for the explanations. It makes perfect sense when you know the answer. Just a bit disgruntled to be bringing in similar to what I was earning pre promotion because I've gone over the tax and ni barriers.

Perhaps just a difference in what you mean by "similar" to what I take as the meaning, but if you want the figures checking from a payslip pre-increase and one post increase just provide the following....
    Taxable gross
    Tax paid
    Tax code/basis
    Week or month number
    Taxable pay to date
    Tax paid to date
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post

You should still be taking home more. You should get around 65% (rounded for easier maths) of your pay rise in your back pocket.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure