PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Flat upstairs has laminate floor - against lease and noisy - what action to take?

sjb123
sjb123 Posts: 14 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 10 May 2018 at 7:00AM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi all,

My wife and I bought our flat last year and, although we like it, the noise from the flat upstairs is starting to stress me out.

They were fairly noisy when we first moved in so I spoke to them and they turned down their TV/music at night but we can still hear noise, although these days it is much more everyday noise.

I know they have laminate floor from seeing it and hearing every footstep or every time something is dropped. This continual noise is gradually becoming more and more irritating, although it really gets annoying when either of us are stressed and cant really have proper silence in our own home.

Laminate flooring is clearly prohibited by the terms of the lease agreement (cant add photo as I am a new user) - a copy of which is posted on the noticeboard in the communal hallway for all to see.

Now, my concern is what action to take. I have spoken anonymously to the management company by phone, who advised me that they can oblige my neighbour to put carpet down, however it would likely be obvious it is from me as the flat above is on the top floor and their only other neighbours are separated from the m by the communal hallway.

On the flipside, if I go up and ask them to change their flooring back to carpet, I dont think that will fly - I cant imagine many people agreeing to that from a polite request from a neighbour. And it will obviously be from me if a request then later comes from the management company.

I have been suggested to ask them whether they would consider putting rugs down but I am not convinced this would make enough of a difference and dont really want to ask someone to do something only for that change to have very little effect.

The final point is that the owner upstairs (it is him plus a long term lodger) is the only stable neighbour as all other properties around are rented out. I imagine just about any of the stronger courses of action, which would be best for us, may well !!!! him off and sour relations between us.

Any thoughts on best course of action would be welcome!!

Cheers

Comments

• Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]You need to contact the freeholder/ManCo and ask them to enforce the lease clause.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]If you delay its possible you may be accused of 'accepting' the noise as 'normal'.[/FONT]
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Talk to the neighbour, point out the noise issue and that laminate flooring is a breach of the lease. Confirm same in writing. Give them say a month to comply. Then make a formal complaint to the management co. asking them to enforce the lease..
    That way they will have had the opportunity to comply, and can't complain should you have to involve the mgt co.
    If you think this will sour relations, then you may be right, but the alternative is to live with the noise.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • da_rule
    da_rule Posts: 3,618 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    As has been said, speak to the freeholder. But also check your own lease, some contain mutual enforceability covenants. These allow you to either compel the freeholder to act or in some cases, take action against another leaseholder yourself.

You!!!8217;ll also need to check your neighbours lease as well to ensure that they are actually in breach of it. The leases may not be identical so they may not have a clause in theirs regarding floor coverings etc.
  • rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If you want "silence" then perhaps you need to live in a detached house...

Obviously you will end up having to declare this dispute when you sell, and they are going to hate you once you cause them to have to spend thousands on carpet.

If I were them I would put down the thinnest carpet possible and then make as much noise as possible going forward...
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,523 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Best to just go and knock on their door and explain the problem, see how it goes. They might just put a rug down.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    m0bov wrote: »
    Best to just go and knock on their door and explain the problem, see how it goes. They might just put a rug down.

... or you could buy them a nice pair of soft slippers ...
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • m0bov
    dunroving wrote: »
    ... or you could buy them a nice pair of soft slippers ...

You could suggest that, you all have to live together. See how it goes, if they don't want to work with you, then go to the management company/legal route. Do you have legal cover with your insurance?
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    m0bov wrote: »
    Do you have legal cover with your insurance?

Getting lawyers involved should really be the very, very last resort.

Having to disclose to any future buyer "I had to instruct a solicitor because of the noise from my upstairs neighbours" could seriously alarm buyers, and make the flat virtually unsaleable.

Ideally, this should be resolved by informal discussion, rather than any kind of formal dispute.
  • m0bov
    eddddy wrote: »
    Ideally, this should be resolved by informal discussion, rather than any kind of formal dispute.

Which is exactly what I said! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • sjb123
    sjb123 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 May 2018 at 7:06PM
    Tom99 wrote: »
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]You need to contact the freeholder/ManCo and ask them to enforce the lease clause.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]If you delay its possible you may be accused of 'accepting' the noise as 'normal'.[/FONT]

Thanks for this response. As for your answer, I don't know about being told I've put up with the noise for a while so "it is fine" since the leasehold agreement clearly states that anything other than a carpet is "not an acoustic equivalent".

As such, I'm pretty sure he's put down the laminate floor without permission (never a good look) and I can't see the management company defending his decision to break the agreement they have set because we have put up with it for a while.

Cheers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport