Virgin Haggle Fail.

2»

Comments

• bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Mr_Gnu wrote: »
    I think it's dishonest and ridiculous. If their names are hard to understand they could use fake Indian names such as Arjun, Sanjay, Ramesh or whatever.

You couldn't make it up!
    My contract was almost up,and I have been with VM for fourteen years and never missed a payment - so yes I think I deserve a discount.:T:T

So you think you "deserve" a discount because you adhered to the terms you agreed to when you signed up?

VM have done the same by providing the service for those 14 years, don't they "deserve" extra from you for doing what they agreed to?
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    I think it's dishonest and ridiculous. If their names are hard to understand they could use fake Indian names such as Arjun, Sanjay, Ramesh or whatever.

My contract was almost up,and I have been with VM for fourteen years and never missed a payment - so yes I think I deserve a discount.:T:T

What? People can go by whatever alias they want, it doesnt have to be one that 'matches' your ridiculous version of their ethnicity.
    I have had many Sikh boys through my classes, many of them use aliases which are close to their given names, but some are nothing like it and much more anglicised (or often, Americanised). Doesnt mean they are lying to me.

Plus, you lied by saying you wanted to cancel. You didnt, you wanted a better deal.
  • Mr_Gnu wrote: »
    Yes indeed :rotfl: Well it turned out OK in the end, after several calls I knocked them down to £29 pound per month and double the speed to 100mbps and a speedy installation too, though there's a one off £20 charge that wasn't mentioned and they said it would be £27 per month but I will be pleased if this all happens - a haggle win, in the end.

The point is that I am being lied to before I even start to negotiate.

Well done you for knocking a grand total of £5 per month of the standard monthly cost :T:T:T
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I knocked them down yesterday to £31pm for 200mbps BB only. Bill was previously £37.25 for 100 mbps. Quite happy and it was very easy to do, they were very helpful.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,124
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I have to say that when I get a call from someone overseas who is using an alias, I immediately distrust them.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    prowla wrote: »
    I have to say that when I get a call from someone overseas who is using an alias, I immediately distrust them.
    Cold callers are a different kettle of fish from call centre operators, of course. In most cases, you are right to mistrust such callers, regardless of the obvious aliases.
  • Mr_Gnu
    Mr_Gnu Posts: 108
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    !!! wrote: »
    Well done you for knocking a grand total of £5 per month of the standard monthly cost :T:T:T

As I said earlier, it was looking like no fibre at all at one point.

It would have to have been openreach and up to 5 meg in that area.

So I called them back.

Then they sent a contract wanting £42 for up to 50mbps and phone line.

So I called them back.

Then we agreed £27, up to 100 mbps.

Then they sent a contract for £29 up to 100mbps.

So I signed it.:j

Was on up to 50mbps and phone line for £34.

Now on up to 100mbps and phone line for £29.:D:j

It's only the second time I've negotiated.

Will do better next year! :cool:

Will be easier when the other ISP's have better speeds available in my area.
    I knocked them down yesterday to £31pm for 200mbps BB only. Bill was previously £37.25 for 100 mbps. Quite happy and it was very easy to do, they were very helpful.

Glad your negotiations went smoothly,well done! :T:cool:
  • bigst
    bigst Posts: 35 Forumite
    bigisi wrote: »
    What has these guys' ethnicity got to do with anything?

snowflake alert :T
    I have 5 Nationwide referrals available. If you want £100 for switching to Nationwide PM me:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure