PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    EA emailed to say that our solicitors have told her that they are sending out the contracts today, so hopefully things will start progressing (although I wish our solicitors would actually tell me things rather than hearing about any progress from the EAs...)

The whole line of communication thing seems very variable, but generally dysfunctional. Ideally, it should be solicitors talking directly with each other, and updating their relevant client whenever an important milestone is reached. However, I feel like I am wrapped up in some Faustian labyrinth when it comes to finding anything out.

Most strangely, if my solicitor (as buyer) gets no response from the seller's solicitor, she tells me, then I tell the seller's EA, who contacts the seller, who tells his solicitor to get a move on!
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • warnerr88
    warnerr88 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    warnerr88 wrote: »
    So after getting out mortgage offer today, glad to be able to join this thread :)

Our timeline

15.03 - View house
    16.03 - Make 1st offer for house (Vendor didn't reject but waited for his other viewings)
    20.03 - Make second and final offer - gets accepted
    21.03 - Go into estate agents with proof of ID and deposit so house can be STC
    23.03 - Full Application with L&C mortgages with HSBC
    26.03 - HSBC ask for documents (ID, bank statements, gift letter)
    29.03 - L&C receive all documents and application starts processing
    04.04 - Chase up L&C who say HSBC offer is less then we need as they dispute my partners basic salary (due to way Tesco list her wage slip)
    09.04 - Send additional document confirming her wages from employer and instruct solicitor to do searches.
    10.04 - Mortgage offer subject to valuation
    13.04 - Valuation carried out
    17.04 - Mortgage advisor calls to say valuation went OK should receive offer this week
    19.04 - Mortgage offer finally comes through!

Now to wait to hear from solicitor.....

Searches have all come back, rang up today to chase an update as the last I was told was last week where they waiting for the sellers solicitor to answer some enquiries, was told by her secretary she would call me back as my file was in dictation! What does that mean, is that good news?
  • FloProActiv
    FloProActiv Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    So after insisting that all information needs to be sent out in one pack, our solicitors don't even have the descency to sent it out first class - pack was sent yesterday, but nothing has arrived.

Trying to decide whether to send a stroppy email or whether that would make things worse.

Would not recommend Blacks Direct :(
  • steph2901
    steph2901 Posts: 345 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We are still waiting for seller's solicitors to reply to queries, been waiting nearly three weeks! Told our solicitors we want to exchange next Friday and complete 18th to try and hurry things along.
  • LucyR_
    LucyR_ Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    WE HAVE COMPLETED! What a relief!
    The final timeline:
    31st Jan: partner went to see flat at lunchtime. We!!!8217;d seen one almost identical around the corner at the weekend, but asking for £25k more and with a chain. This one had been rented but now vacant and vendors want to sell quickly due to divorce. Partner happy with flat, so I tell him to make an offer (madness!)
    31st Jan: Initial offer rejected but estate agent told us to add £5k and it would be ours due to our favourable position and ability to proceed fairly quickly.
    1st Feb: one vendor accepts new offer. Second vendor being slow - squeaky bum time and wanted it off the market before a number of viewings on the Sat - estate agent suspected this would lead to bidding war.
    2nd Feb: second vendor agrees to offer, phew!
    3rd Feb: I finally go and see the property with partner. Thankfully, I agree with his opinions. It needs some tidying up and eventually a new boiler, bathroom and kitchen but nothing we can!!!8217;t live with for time being, plus it!!!8217;s a bargain so we!!!8217;ll be able to afford these things!
    5th Feb: instruct solicitors
    10th Feb: seek further mortgage advice due to deck access on property above ours - decide to apply via broker rather than direct to Nationwide.
    12th Feb: submit mortgage application.
    13th Feb: documents requested and sent. Frantic running around to get parents to sign gift letters.
    14th Feb: valuation booked for 16th. Docs taken to solicitors.
    15th Feb: mortgage approved subject to valuation.
    16th Feb: mortgage offer received.
    21st Feb: survey conducted. Surveyor called us in the evening to say generally all fine, a few things to double check but otherwise lots of covering their bums. Solicitor received this the following week and started searches.
    ... and then we wait for the vendors to provide our solicitor with the Leasehold Information pack and to complete the info form, which took AGES!

10th March: parents came to visit. Took them round to have a look at flat, as wanted Dad to look at electrics and some other things. Had a massive panic that we!!!8217;d taken on a bit more of a project than we anticipated but it!!!8217;s definitely habitable - needs a good clean when we move in though and lots of niggly things that we can sort eventually.
    12th March: solicitor finally receives the docs above. You!!!8217;d think the vendors would speed it up seeing as they want a quick sale. But nope the leasehold pack didn!!!8217;t come for another week.
    23rd March: solicitor raises enquiries, all kinds of unnerving things I!!!8217;m hoping will be fine.
    6th April: We receive the pack of all of the info, searches and responses to enquiries.
    21st April: We go to the flat for a third viewing to check the appliances coming with the property are working, and to measure up for bathroom, windows etc.
    23rd April: Confirm to Solicitor that we're happy to proceed with exchange on 27th April. Rush to Nationwide at lunchtime to set up CHAPS payment for deposit and scrabble around to get Help to Buy ISA closing statements from Nationwide, who managed to give us the wrong thing three separate times!
    27th April: EXCHANGE
    2nd May: receive final financial statement from Solicitor and transfer remaining funds. This time I did it via online banking and was paranoid I'd get it wrong!
    4th May: COMPLETION! Picking up the keys later, then it's DIY mania for 5 weeks before we move in!
  • TamsinC
    TamsinC Posts: 625 Forumite
    edited 4 May 2018 at 12:32PM
    Options
    lucyr_ wrote: »
    we have completed! What a relief!
    yay :beer:
    “Isn't this enough? Just this world? Just this beautiful, complex
    Wonderfully unfathomable, natural world” Tim Minchin
  • Tootling
    Tootling Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    We finally exchanged... And completing on the 9th! But not moving till the 15th... Boooooo!

Finally. Got to a point where i thought it would never happen. After a lot of faffing for weeks they send to have solved the issue within a week. Why didn't they just do that before? Heck knows what was really going on.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Tootling wrote: »
    We finally exchanged... And completing on the 9th! But not moving till the 15th... Boooooo!

Finally. Got to a point where i thought it would never happen. After a lot of faffing for weeks they send to have solved the issue within a week. Why didn't they just do that before? Heck knows what was really going on.

I think it's in the perverse belief that this underlines how indispensable (and powerful) they are.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • GBR78
    GBR78 Posts: 61 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Moving forward a bit better now (updates in bold);

27/03 - offer accepted on current house
    28/03 - solicitor given the go ahead for sale (purchase not considered at this stage as plan was to move into rental for a few months)
    30/03 - Offer accepted on new build purchase
    01/04 - Mortgage application started
    10/04 - Solictor letter arrives with TA6 forms etc (unfortunately I was out of the country so couldn't fully complete until 12/04)
    13/04 - Solictor forms/TA6/property information all submitted to solicitor
    13/04 - Buyers survey completed. Nice chap, see's no reason to worry about not moving out - lets hope he's right!
    17/04 - Buyers receive valuation survey OK
    18/04 - Buyers get mortgage offer
    20/04 - Our solicitor confirms that he has received enquiries

bit of a pause now as our solicitor sits on the enquiries thinking we need to exchange of our purchase at the same time, but we don't. Cue quick kick up the 'arris!

27/04 - MA confirms Nationwide AIP for us and submits full app saying "just a paperwork exercise now"
    02/05 - Solicitor finally acknowleges mistake and starts to respond to buyer enquiries
    03/05 - SOlicitor passes us remaining enquiries to respond to. Immediately returned by email
    03/05 - Valuation carried out on onward purchase
    04/05 - Contract and title deed document received, signed and returned by hand, buyer negotiates additional items

Hoping now for an exchange early next week ready for completion at the end of the week....
  • betsie
    betsie Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was hoping we might exchange next week but person st the start isn’t getting their searches back till the 11th. God bows why they applied for them so late we have been in this chain since 1st March.
    Can’t see anything happening now till the end of the following week at best.
    Feeling very deflated and have acquired a nice array of spots on my face to add to my doom & gloom.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback