Your designated purposes of credit cards (for those who have 2)

Comments

• Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,134 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Asda cashback card for food shopping
    Select for the odd coffee (also has minimal cashback)
    TSB cashback card for fuel (ends in June though)
    Avios card for dentist/hairdresser, anything just to generate a DD each month as I recently exchanged my points for indoor skydiving gifts for family.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • dresdendave
    dresdendave Posts: 889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Sweetcake wrote: »
    one all paid off and the other with a balance on (a small one that will soon be paid off). It's been a long time since the first one has actually been paid off in full and I kinda like it that way!

Is this a 0% APR card? If not, why would you like not paying it off in full?
  • 2 almost purely for long standing account purposes (One I've had for 16 years).
    2 for BTs. One will be paid off in a month or so, so that'll be binned.
    2 for purchases (although 1 has come to the end of it's 0% now, so may just bin that as well).
    1 Amazon for reward points on Amazon purchases.
    1 for foreign transactions.
    1 for a cashback offer.
    1 for potential money transfer offers. Also at present is 0% on purchases.
  • Weybridge78
    Weybridge78 Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    1. American Express Membership Rewards - for membership rewards - paid off in full each month
    2. American Express BAPP - as a backup and can't close due to having the BA companion voucher
    3. Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - currently has a 0% promotional balance being reduced monthly
    4. HSBC - currently has a 0% promotional balance being reduced monthly
    5. Clydesdale Gold - currently has a 0% promotional balance being reduced monthly and will then close
    6. Sainsbury's - currently has a 0% promotional balance being reduced monthly and will then close
    7. B - For foreign spending
    8. First Direct - currently has a 0% promotional balance being reduced monthly
  • I have a lot of cards. Use them for different things:
    1. Hilton card for points, main payment card
    2. Nationwide abroad
    3. Miles and More for online transaction or below £30 to keep my miles alive
    4. Number of other cards for balance transfers and as backups.
  • guesswho2000
    guesswho2000 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer
    Many reasons, mostly travel related! In terms of UK cards:
    1) Amex Gold Rewards Credit - to keep my UK membership rewards account alive until I need it;
    2) Amex Platinum Cashback Credit - for Amex offers (usually Hilton or Amex Travel, when they come up);
    3) Nationwide Select - Rarely used, but a useful backup for travelling;
    4) Creation Everyday - Cash abroad mostly;
    5) Creation IHG - To retain IHG gold status and earn the occasional extra points;
    6) Barclaycard Hilton - HHonors points (and silver status, if I ever drop from Gold)
    7) MBNA American Airlines - Keep my AA miles alive;
    8) MBNA Etihad - Etihad Guest miles (this and the AA are likely to be withdrawn soon, I believe the AA card has been canned for existing customers as of the end of July, neither are available for new customers any more, as of last November).
    9) Lloyds Avios - for the upgrade voucher each year.

I actually live in Australia, so also have these, which are my actual main cards:
    1) Amex Explorer - 2x Membership Rewards points/$1 spent (main card, by far), but also $400 travel credit per year and various other benefits, $395 annual fee;
    2) Coles Platinum Mastercard - For non Amex spend, no fees on foreign transactions and 2x Flybuys/$1=0.87 Virgin Australia points/$1 (main non-Amex and travel card);
    3) St George Platinum Visa - for signup bonus Qantas points, will cancel soon;
    4) ANZ Platinum Qantas - Qantas points, linked to my mortgage, so doesn't cost me anything;
    5) ANZ Platinum Rewards - for 65,000 bonus points on signup, recently used them all, so due to cancel.
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 23 May 2018 at 12:30PM
    1 x Sainsburys main card for our day to day spending (& earning Nectar points)

3 x (Tesco, Barclaycard, Virgin) 0% Balance transfer cards which we've transferred the balance of the Sainsburys card to whenever it gets near its credit limit.

3 x (MBNA, Post Office, M&S) 0% purchase cards which we have put the new kitchen and appliances on to.

1 x Amazon card because it had a £20 off promotion and I loaded the remainder of the kitchen balance onto it for the Amazon points.

1 x Halifax Clarity card which we use for holidays and overseas purchases.

... oh, and a First Direct Platinum 0% purchases card is on its way to me because they pre-approved me for it when I recently switched one of my Santander 123 current accounts to them. This is despite my MSE credit card score being well and truly in the gutter due to the £70k+ of available credit on all the other 9 cards!

(I guess FD aren't as picky as the used to be!) :rotfl:
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    1. American Express Membership Rewards - for membership rewards - paid off in full each month
    2. American Express BAPP - as a backup and can't close due to having the BA companion voucher
    3. Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - currently has a 0% promotional balance being reduced monthly
    4. HSBC - currently has a 0% promotional balance being reduced monthly
    5. Clydesdale Gold - currently has a 0% promotional balance being reduced monthly and will then close
    6. Sainsbury's - currently has a 0% promotional balance being reduced monthly and will then close
    7. B - For foreign spending
    8. First Direct - currently has a 0% promotional balance being reduced monthly

You do not have to keep this open

Headforpoints 241 voucher FAQ's
    Despite what Amex tells you, you do not need to use the card to pay the taxes when you come to redeem your 2-4-1 voucher. You must use an American Express card but it does not have to be a BA one.
  • Nationwide Cashback card paid off monthly (really need to search for better cashback since it dropped to .25% but Amex is too much faffing with shops that don't take it)
    Halifax Clarity for holidays (NW card also used for backup as it's fee free for purchases overseas)
  • GM1880
    GM1880 Posts: 169 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    1: Vanquis (£2500 limit) openeded to build up my credit file after a CCJ (now set aside). Longest credit card I have, so worth keeping open for that reason.
    2: Barclaycard Platinum (£1200 limit) - first mainstream card I got 6 months ago, just use it for where they don't accept Amex
    3: Amex British Airways PP (£5700 limit) so I can get a first class companion ticket for our honeymoon next year
    4: HSBC (£3000 limit) really only used for car hire where they don't accept AMEX. Sort of opened by accident anyhow.

Once we've moved house and I've a mortgage next year, I'll look into getting a Clarity for Travel and close at least the Vanquis, maybe the HSBC too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure