MSE News: 'We need to change your meter'...

Comments

• Hengus wrote: »
    The' problem' is that your letter, and indeed the message being pushed out by most suppliers, is that this rollout programme is anything but voluntary. The worrying thing is that I can find no reference whatsoever to the programme being voluntary even on SmartGB Energy's website.

If smart meters are indeed voluntary then why is someone in authority within E.oN making statements such as:

“To support our commitment to Ofgem to install smart meters for our customer base by 2020" (Quote from MSE article dated 29 Jan)

In my opinion, it really is time that Ofgem got a grip on this by insisting that all suppliers use a standard form of words in their smart meter offers which includes a very clear statement that smart meters are voluntary. Then again, pigs might fly.

Had been considering switching to E.on. But in the light of the misleading letters they have been sending out about smart meters, I won't.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Had been considering switching to E.on. But in the light of the misleading letters they have been sending out about smart meters, I won't.

A few months ago I finally thought I had reached the end of my patience with nPower and, at the time, Eon had a competitive tariff. I read a whole load of stuff on here about issues with their website/online accounts so decided to stick with the devil I know. Am I glad I did!

If it were not for MSE and several of the posters on this board, I would not know so-called "smart" meters are not compulsory, certainly not if I received a letter like the ones Eon have been sending out. Shame on you, Eon.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    SSE have being doing some persistent nagging for wanting smart meters installed. Through all communications methods!
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,587
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    Nope.

The DCC is now enrolling SMETS1 meters and I've switched supplier and retained smart functionality on my SMETS1 meters.

Does your IHD still work?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Nope.

The DCC is now enrolling SMETS1 meters and I've switched supplier and retained smart functionality on my SMETS1 meters.

This document suggests that BEIS will not give a final decision on SMETS1 adoption until Mar 18 (page 24):

https://www.smartdcc.co.uk/media/440317/20171016_smets1_planning_conclusions.pdf

Is it possible that you have switched to a supplier that uses the same model of smart meter as your previous supplier?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Nope.

This document suggests that BEIS will not give a final decision on SMETS1 adoption until 31 Mar 18 (pages 21 and 24):

https://www.smartdcc.co.uk/media/440317/20171016_smets1_planning_conclusions.pdf

Is it possible that you have switched to a supplier that uses the same model of smart meter as your previous supplier? If so, it will still work on a consumer to supplier basis.
  • jcontest
    jcontest Posts: 222
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    robin58 wrote: »
    Your username is useless then mate!!!

Trouble is the version one only works properly with your current supplier. All the other suppliers have software differences. So when you switch you might as well throw the monitor away.

Second problem is they only supply one meter free, so if you what to upgrade to version 2, the meter has to be faulty or you pay to have it replaced.

Plus there are more sinister plans afoot to control your usages in the pipeline coming once there is a tipping point in installations.

The reasons they give in the letter are just superficial fluff.

What are these Sinister Plans you speak of?
    If I got a smart meter it wouldn't be for the batter powered usage meter that goes in the house, it would be so there would be more accurate billing.

Don't forget that many of the SMETS1 will be upgraded to SMETS2 via a firmware upgrade.

The whole idea of it is starting to seem laughable, not because of SMETS1/2 but because we are basically making a system where our energy suppliers are not paid for just being brokers - and having to do virtually no work. The same thing happened (is happening) with solar panels and other renewable projects. Consumer takes a loss so someone can buy something that your not allowed to directly buy, and sell it to you.

For many users, the smart meter upgrade now is okay. Over 60% of people are on a standard tariff for > 3 years so you know they are sticking around as they were probably on a introductory deal for a year or two. For the other 40%, not an awful lot of them switch really regularly, but chances are that they'll make the move and might find the SMETS1 meters a pain.

It's 2018 now and I have never been asked, when I am asked I will probably say yes. SMETS1 or SMETS2 makes no real difference to me, as a CUSTOMER if I want the data from these units then I still have to go and physically read the data. For me it gives nothing useful. For my supplier it gives nothing useful (as I provide the readings), for the reader company G4S there is a loss (as now they cant LIE and said they read my meters). And guess what, They still have to come around once a year or so to inspect your "Smart" meter the same as your non-smart meter!
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,587
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 31 January 2018 at 1:09AM
    The sinister plans....

That would be the plans to cut down power, cut off power, & charge a lot more for power at very specific times of the day, much more specific than an economy 7 meter would do.

Such as 7-9am one cost, 12-2pm another cost, 4-7pm another cost, 9-11pm another cost. 1am to 5am relatively cheap, all the rest another cost. Of course if your history shows that you are pretty much nocturnal then those charges available will be inverted, as in 1am to 5am will be relatively expensive.

We just need to remember that (ignoring the very small newcomers) they are never ever no matter what happens going to accept a drop in their profits
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    badmemory wrote: »
    Does your IHD still work?

It did with 2nd supplier but we've just switched again so let's see.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hengus wrote: »
    Is it possible that you have switched to a supplier that uses the same model of smart meter as your previous supplier? If so, it will still work on a consumer to supplier basis.

There are ways for the data to be routed without going via the DCC but meters are now being enrolled into the DCC in "cohorts" based on how easy/hard it is. Some SMETS1 meters have such basic functionality that it's a PITA. The DCC proposed leaving some - particularly pre-pay ones - out of the system, but the industry leaned on them a fair bit.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure