MSE News: 'We need to change your meter'...

Former_MSE_Callum
Former_MSE_Callum Posts: 696
First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
Forumite
edited 29 January 2018 at 5:18PM in Energy
Big six energy firm E.on is sending letters saying it "needs" to install smart meters in "all" its customers' homes, MoneySavingExpert.com can reveal. But if you've got one of these letters and don't want a smart meter, you DON'T have to have one...
Read the full story:
''We need to change your meter': E.on gives customers the hard sell on smart meters, but you CAN opt out'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: [email protected]
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    It is hardly surprising that E.oN is pushing out letters like this if they believe what is stated in the article:

“To support our commitment to Ofgem to install smart meters for our customer base by 2020, we are currently reaching out to customers who have classic meters to replace them with a new self-reading smart meter”

The actual requirement as stated by Government policy is per the advice offered by Citizens Advice:

Quote: The government has set energy companies a deadline — everyone should be offered a smart meter by 2020. Unquote

Perhaps Ofgem needs to clarify why it believes that the words install and offer mean the same thing.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Hengus wrote: »
    Perhaps Ofgem needs to clarify why it believes that the words install and offer mean the same thing.

Isn't it Eon that needs to clarify the above?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    edited 29 January 2018 at 6:07PM
    Cardew wrote: »
    Isn't it Eon that needs to clarify the above?

@Cardew. Normally, I would agree with you but there are too many reports in the Press and sites such as Utility Week of suppliers facing fines for not meeting their domestic smart meter rollout targets. If it was simply just an ‘offer’ of a smart meter by 2020 then a letter, e-mail or call to every customer would get suppliers off the hook. I sense that suppliers are being leant on by A N Other to deploy as many smart meters as possible by 2020.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/06/10/utility-companies-face-700m-cost-delay-fitting-smart-meters/

This is what is stated in Ofgem’s smart meter planning letter (dated late 2016):

Quote: Gas and electricity suppliers are required by their licence to take all reasonable steps to roll out smart meters to all of their domestic and small business customers by the end of 2020. Our role is to make sure consumers remain protected during the roll-out, to monitor suppliers’ compliance with the associated obligations and potentially enforce against any non-compliance. Unquote

I have not found an updated version of this letter.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just get a smart meter. It's a quick and easy job and gives you lots of information regards your usage. And no, they don't give you cancer, get a grip.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 29 January 2018 at 6:35PM
    any members of the public got the more secure SME2 version fitted ?

Answer
    E.on has told us it's currently testing SMETS2 and intends to roll these out further in the coming months.
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    I had issues with British Gas last year. They wanted to install a smart meter and kept sending me letters as well as ems. I considered it as harassment, It only stopped it after complaining to their CEO.

I have now swapped suppliers and so far, I have not got anything with regards installing a smart meter.

I don't want one so I hope that I am not harassed again; otherwise I will complain.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,344
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    Just get a smart meter. It's a quick and easy job and gives you lots of information regards your usage. And no, they don't give you cancer, get a grip.
    Lots of people don't want a smart meter for perfectly valid reasons. I personally quite like the idea of the IHD and the information it gives you, but if the IHD stops working, your supplier won't replace it, so where is the "lots of information regards your usage" then?

Never mind the fact that if I switch supplier all the benefits of the smart meter are lost anyway, and I'd be left with a meter that is more difficult to read than a bog standard non-smart meter. That's just the very basics for me personally, there's a ton of other valid reasons not to get one right now.

So thanks, but I'll continue to wait until the product is fit for purpose before choosing to get a smart meter.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,261
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    gadgetmind wrote: »

Why would I want a new meter that's already obsolete before it's even installed?
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Eon keep trying to book an appointment even after I've told them I rent so I have no right give them permission to make changes.
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    mac.d wrote: »
    Lots of people don't want a smart meter for perfectly valid reasons.

....I'd be left with a meter that is more difficult to read than a bog standard non-smart meter. .......

This bothers me greatly. I like to read my meter as close to the source as possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure