Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop

Comments

• wakeupalarm
    wakeupalarm Posts: 1,101
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Decided against switching to Powershop because of all the constant work involved, but will keep an eye on them.

Thank you for your efforts in seeking clarity from Ofgem, Hengus. :beer:
  • neilsedaka
    neilsedaka Posts: 396
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Decided against switching to Powershop because of all the constant work involved

As far as I can see the "constant work" consists of buying all of the powerpacks that are offered which takes a few seconds.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    neilsedaka wrote: »
    As far as I can see the "constant work" consists of buying all of the powerpacks that are offered which takes a few seconds.

True and not true. You have to spend a bit of time analysing your projected future usage - month by month - against what PS thinks so that you do not buy un-necessary low value (ie; low discount) packs. To get the largest discount, you have to purchase energy months in advance accruing a credit balance - on my modest usage of 2500kWhs/year - of well over £150.
  • neilsedaka
    Forumite
    edited 24 August 2017 at 1:33PM
    In my case I have bought all of the powerpacks offered to me at varying discounts which is better than paying what is left over at the standard rate. Powershop debited my bank account a couple of days ago with the first chunk of what was left over at the standard rate.
  • Tafrock
    Tafrock Posts: 747
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 24 August 2017 at 9:59AM
    Just under 3 months in to my powershop experience. And I must admit I'm quite impressed

At first I bought all powerpacks mainly to avoid having to pay standard prices but now I have built up quite a hefty credit of 111 pounds and paid for my overestimated electricity usage until end of November already so I'm only buying power packs with discounts of 15 percent or more.

Out goes jumbo as that's only 7 percent and the silly little random boosters

However I certainly will be buying all December power packs and have already bought all November and a couple of October

I find it a breeze to use. Statements and weekly updates are clear and simple to understand. After 2 months I have already saved 42.02 off standard electricity prices even with buying the jumbos etc which I won't be buying anymore. If the saving rate continues at this level (and I expect it to be higher as I won't be buying small discount power packs) I would save at least 84 pounds in a year narrowly beating my best quote from other providers. I reckon a saving of 76 pounds annually is enough to beat iresas market leading quote for myself (Though I wouldn't be going anywhere near Iresa anyway).

I'm quite happy with powershop and will be staying with them for the foreseeable future. Though when my gas supplier zog launches electricity supply I may well leave for a duel fuel contract with them as I'm extremely happy to be a 4 year customer of zog

Not at all worried about the credit I've built up with powershop.
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    neilsedaka wrote: »
    In my case I have bought all of the powerpacks offered to me at varying discounts which is better than paying what is left over at the standard rate. Powershop debited my account a couple of days ago with the first chunk of what was left over at the standard rate.

Isn't that a contradiction in itself and this is what I've been wondering all along?

Do you mean debited or credited?

Surely there is only one winner here, as you've paid the standard rate, in any case? :huh:
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • neilsedaka
    Forumite

Debited. From my experience one has no alternative but to pay a proportion of usage at the standard rate which should in theory be balanced out by purchasing the discounted powerpacks which we are told will end up at the conclusion of the year at an average rate better than Powerhop competitors.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Isn't that a contradiction in itself and this is what I've been wondering all along?

Surely there is only one winner here, as you've paid the standard rate, in any case? :huh:

These are the early day buying challenges as it is not possible to buy the heavily discounted advance packs when you first join PS. This is why it is necessary to look at what the PS App thinks that you will use in, say, Aug and then look back at historical usage (if you have any - I do) to see what low discount packs need to be bought. This problem goes away in the longer term.
  • Tafrock
    Tafrock Posts: 747
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    In my nearly 3 months with powershop I have avoided purchasing power at standard rates. I came close to needing to in month 1 but don't forget your months aren't calendar months mine run from 6th to 6th usually. So once you get to the 1st of a month you can purchase another jumbo or easy saver to avoid using standard power.
  • I was enthusiastic about using Powershop and arranged for xfr. Unfortunately they said that they can't handle 2 meters at a residential address, I have one for daily rate and one for night rate (Economy 7) its a little strange as Economy 7 rates are quoted. They were very apologetic on the phone but somehow I got into a position where I had 1 meter with Powershop and 1 with my old supplier. Both supplies are now being referred back to my old supplier. Call centre staff were very helpful and very apologetic.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback