Aldi price increases

Anybody else shocked at the price rises in Aldi recently? After paying around £25 every time I go, it's now always around £32, and I buy roughly the same stuff, just quantity varies a wee bit.

Comments

• robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    If you want to be shocked, price comparison your shop at Aldi with the other supermarkets. Then be really shocked.

I know I can walk into Aldi and come out if there with about 20 items for £13. If I tried that in my local Sainsburys, my bill would be a minimum of £22+ for the same equivalent items.

Unfortunately with the changes in the currency rates and the fact prices were already at rock bottom, prices even at the 'discounters' will start to go up
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The OP isn't wrong though.
  • just_trying
    just_trying Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    No, there not wrong prices are creeping up, I was in today and noticed increases again. It's pennies but if your budgets tight, it all counts.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Just seems really noticeable recently after years of being much cheaper. I've gone back to getting Sainsbugs online as it's easier for me than trekking up to Aldi. When it was so much cheaper I did it, but now it doesn't seem to be worth it.
  • just_trying
    just_trying Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I think you're right, the increases are at the stage where it is ,is it worth it.

I started shopping again at Aldi again recently, was Lidl before. I've noticed for months there prices creeping up, especially butter.
  • mardatha
    If enough people do it, then they might reduce their prices.... lol it's more like psychological warfare than buying a pint of milk nowadays!
  • mardatha
    Well... if we had voted to stay in Europe then I'm just as sure that prices would have gone up, and they would have blamed it on us voting to stay in.. They use anything as cover to make a profit from us poor sods!
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 20 March 2017 at 1:06PM
    I voted out in the full realisation that we would be in for a tough few years. But, when Italy drops out of the Euro and the EU collapses because the Germans have not got enough money to keep Italy afloat we will be well down the road to recovery where the other 27 countries will be in a mess. As to immigration, we need certain types of people coming here to pay taxes so HMGov Plc can continue to pay my pensions. But, we need to be able to say who can and who can not come here.

The fall in the pound means that we can go straight to WTO trade rules and still be able to successfully do business with the EU countries.

Looking on the bright side, food products from outside the EU will become cheaper once we're out.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • mardatha
    I'd agree that food from outside EU will become available and we will get good deals. I can remember life before the EU and we managed just fine! In fact when we joined, prices went through the roof. So when we leave., prices will go through the roof. Either way us poor bl00dy shoppers pay through the nose!
    But we better keep the thread on topic and off politics or we will get dropped through the trapdoor into outer darkness :D
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,519 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    OP. Its called inflation and has been around for a few hundred years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure