IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Tesco to get blue badge info from dvla

Tesco has launched a clampdown on motorists who steal parking spaces intended for its disabled customers.
Following “warmly welcomed trials” that hit non-disabled occupants with hefty fines, the retailer now has plans to extend the blitz nationwide. It is also looking at extending the clampdown to spaces reserved for parents with children.

The supermarket giant’s trial at more than 80 stores involved using specially adapted handheld devices that link to the DVLA database. It worked with enforcement company Horizon initially, but The Grocer understands it is now looking at rolling out its own system across the country.

To date, the retailer has been using 20 Samsung mobile phones fitted with a special app and it wants to develop technology further to enable store staff to have a similar app on their personal devices.

Cat Parkinson, who helped develop the scheme as Tesco car park operations executive, said it made parking at Tesco “fairer for everyone”. “We want to change attitudes towards the misuse of disabled bays by highlighting the importance of disabled bays being used properly.

“We take this issue seriously and ask that customers display a blue badge if they’re parking in a disabled bay. We’ll continue to look at ways to prevent misuse of these essential spaces for our disabled customers. Disabled parking is an important part of the customer experience that is sometimes overlooked.”
Operations manager Chris Preece said the scheme had proved a “revelation” at stores where it had been trialled, such as Taunton High Street.
“As the only free car park in the town centre, protecting our disabled bays has been a constant battle.

“The trial is an instant success. In fact, just having the new signage in our car park made an immediate impact. We’ve received nothing but positive feedback from our customers in Taunton. Similar praise has come from customers across our other stores.”

Tesco has won the support of former British paratrooper Jordan Beecher, a customer at its Finchley store, who lost his leg in an IED attack in Afghanistan.
“I’m delighted to hear that Tesco are doing something to raise awareness of the importance of disabled parking bays. This will definitely support others in a similar position,” he said.

Whilst I have to agree with the sentiment how will the dvla know that the passenger has a blue badge and not just the RK. Indeed how will they work out parents and children.

Borrowed from Pepipoo.com incase some don't go there.
I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.

Comments

• beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    And do Tesco's belong to the BPA or IPC ??
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    And, of course, dvla have records of parents and children.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    beamerguy wrote: »
    And do Tesco's belong to the BPA or IPC ??
    No. However they are likely to be a landowner or at the very least a leaseholder. No necessity for membership of an ATA in that case.

Every little helps towards making up that management created black hole in the accounts.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As the blue badge is for the person and not the vehicle and therefore no records held by DVLA then I fail to see what they think they are achieving by having an instant link to a copy of the DVLA database.

I am not even sure that DVLA would allow a company to have a live link to their database. It opens up the risk of massive DPA breaches
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,342 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    What about those who qualify under the Equality Act 2010 who need reasonable adjustments, yet who do not qualify or are too proud to apply for a blue badge?

And the parent and child issue will be a real can of worms. They may have grabbed the tiger by the tail. Or the baby by the dirty nappy!

All good news in the game of attracting customers, and in the week when they announced that profits were, yet again, down!

And the good old DVLA happy to sell our information to anyone prepared to cross their hand with silver.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • beamerguy
    And, of course, dvla have records of parents and children.

Very dodgy thinking.

I agree about disabled spaces.
    It's bad enough having scammers in car parks but ...
    TESCO SCAMMERS using their own staff, the mind boggles

Snap happy staff
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I too don't understand how having an app that connects to the DVLA will help to identify genuine/non-genuine disabled users of those spaces. Our son (who has the blue badge) could be in any car, not just ours - the blue badge travels with him.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • beamerguy
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    And the good old DVLA happy to sell our information to anyone prepared to cross their hand with silver.

Have I missed this one .... thought there were only 2 so called accredited set ups for this ??

TESCO PARKING ..... where does the DCLG enter into this ??

IN HOUSE SCAMMING ..... WHOOPS, ALDI AND LIDL are just round the corner
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,566 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 6 October 2016 at 7:02PM
    I don't understand what they are claiming to be doing differently here. If they are checking that a Blue Badge is valid then I have no argument with that morally (of course, because it stops the REAL Blue Badge abuse) but it's the first I've heard of that being possible for a landowner.

As others have said, a VRN check of a vehicle tells them nothing about a Blue Badge. This app makes no sense, the way this is reported.

And it's contrary to the Equality Act 2010 if they are limiting or denying a disabled person's LEGAL RIGHT to a reasonable adjustment provision relevant to their condition even if that person has no Blue Badge. On private land (retail parks being typical) here needs to be a way that disabled people can ask for clearance to park due to their need, in cases with no BB, because the EA applies absolutely.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    And of course Blue Badges do not cover private car parks.

Only council car parks and on-street parking.

This is all wrong - and of course the papers are adding to the nonsense with words like 'fines' and 'penalties'.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/shoppers-facing-big-fines-parking-11824978
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure