PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 5 August 2016 at 4:19PM
    My eldest DD with her financial background has all of my accounts and passwords and knows where all my cash is :) bless her she is my rock
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    One little tip from my own experience:

When my dad went into a home, I asked to be a joint signatory to his current account, so I could pay his bills. When dad died, I notified the bank and they just took dad's name off the account. This was brilliant for paying for his funeral and other expenses, as all his other accounts were frozen.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    jk0 wrote: »
    I buy the £25 cheapest glasses that Specsavers sell. Apart from my National Health ones that I believe were free, that's the least I've ever paid for glasses in 40 years of wearing them.

Have a look: https://www.specsavers.co.uk/

Thanks jk0, but I'm very short-sighted (both eyes -10.50) and have astigmatism, and need varifocals, so I need a complex prescription and thinnest lenses. The lenses alone cost at least £500 :( and I need a sturdy frame as well. I do get an nHS voucher but it's not a lot.
    Though I've just looked to see how much help I'd get now and "complex prescription" isn't on the list any more, but there is one for bifocal glasses of more than 10 dioptres, which is a lot more than I got last time, so I'll have to check at the optometrist's.

I'm pleased you find the £25 ones are fine for you though :) Make the most of it!
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    mardatha wrote: »
    The safest place to hoard cash is in a jar buried in the garden. It worked for the Romans, and the Saxons, and the Vikings, etc etc. Then you're safe from burglars and from fires. Even if there was a flood, the water has to go down someday..

But judging by how many hoards are found by archaeologists, many people had to bug out in a hurry and couldn't take their gold with them. Or were killed before they could get away.:sad: Hopefully not an issue we are likely to see - if it got to that, then money would probably be useless anyway, we'd be in a new Dark Age
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    We found my MIL had stashed a whole lot of cash in a random file in her filing cabinet 4 years after her death. We had brought it to our house when we moved her in with us. I decided to clean it out one day and what a shocking pleasant surprise! She had dementia and never told OH...I doubt she remembered.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I'd like to think things are a wee bit safer now than they were then Mary! lol. Not seen a marauding Viking for weeks up here. Dammit lol
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Wandering eye Mar? Peter will be jealous!:rotfl:
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    mardatha wrote: »
    I'd like to think things are a wee bit safer now than they were then Mary! lol. Not seen a marauding Viking for weeks up here. Dammit lol
    :) Each hoard which survives from turbulent times is evidence that someone didn't get to come back and collect. But also evidence that the looters/ enemy army/ tax gatherers didn't get it, either. Gold from 2,000 + years ago comes out of the ground just as bright and shiny as it went in, silver survives less well, our fiat currency is pretty toilet paper, really.

Wincing at the thought of sovreigns in the curtains. Selling today, to the trade for £230 each, £250 if you want to buy one. Ouch!

I've been shopping for a few supermarket bits for a friend and happened to pass the discounted section and gave it a good hard stare. B@xters soups for 16p a can with 18 months' date on them? Preptastic, and off into the store cupboard they go. Got some tinned fruit, too.

I'm another one with complicated prescriptions. I renewed my windows last July, the frame was £25 and the lenses, even with a discount voucher, were about £400. When you're very short-sighted, have astigmatism and then need varifocals, it gets pretty darned pricey. I could have had new lenses this July but thought I will try to hold out for another year, the change wasn't too radical and the price of these things is eye-watering. Ooops, unintentional pun, but I'll let it stand.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    GQ

I feel your pain!!! I have short sightedness, astigmatism and variofocals too. I have also just put six shoeboxes filled with candles, tealights, matches, lighters and solar radio and lights safely in the top section of the wardrobe. I even have a couple of wind up torches and phone chargers ;)

I am due another sight test but waiting till all the building work is done and paid for. I got a good deal at A*da opticians in Leeds a couple of years ago and might go back there again as it is on a bus route and I don't want to have to rely on family.

Middle dd is coming over later tonight and staying overnight and older dd and her husband come over tomorrow night for a meal and a stay over till Sunday when I baby sit their cat here.

The place needs a quick hoover and tidy but it is too hot to move so might wait till tomorrow morning.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • lobbyludd
    lobbyludd Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    thanks everyone for the prompt on wills, I have downloaded a compact-law free template, and signed/had witnessed.

It doesn't do everything I'd want but it does the main things (leave everything to my children, appoint executors/guardians), which is better than before and will (ho ho) do the job until I can get a more comprehensive one done during will-aid.

Just need to let my brother know what I've let him in for......
    :AA/give up smoking (done) :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport