Currys Whateverhappens Warranty - Any good

Comments

• rustybucket
    rustybucket Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    eVOLVE wrote: »
    Rustybucket, no-where would realistically exchange a 6 month old freezer, and without some alternate warranty, the manufacturer can take 6 weeks to repair it and not have to explain themselves. Incidentally, which manufacturer was it? Not all of them are that bad.
    No one would realistically exchange a 6 month old freezer? It was a hotpoint (never again).

For your into my flat screen tele from John Lewis gave up the ghost not long ago, after 8 months. They exhanged it, moral of the story is........ don't shop at currys.
  • emma396
    emma396 Posts: 760 Forumite
    only get it if they offer u something for free as well. Then cancel it the next day!! HA HA!
  • ShaunJUK
    ShaunJUK Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think this is a pretty reasonable summary as to whether WhateverHappens is worth it.

It appears those who say it isnt are one of two catagories, the first being those who have bought it and never used it, therefore been very fortunate, and secondly those who never bought it and had the hassle of dealing with a manufacturer repair in the first year and comparing this to a whatever happens repair.

You then have those who have whatever happens and have found it to be their lifeline when a problem has arisen.

The value of a claim on whatever happens does depreciate, purely because you are protecting yourself against the item you bought breaking down. If you bought a 26" LCD TV with 2 Scart Sockets, no HD and no freeview 3 years ago, you will find your claim will be for the closest match to the item you have lost, you will therefore recieve a voucher for the value of a 26" LCD TV with 2 Scart Sockets, but you will find that now you can only get one HD ready and with Freeview, you wont have to pay for this upgrade.

And also as somebody said, your cover is pro rata, therefore if your item broke after 18 months and wasnt repairable, not only would you get a brand new item of the same specification, you will get 42 months worth of your whatever happens cover off your new item too.

So as an example (figures made up for example only), you buy a £250 washing machine and take £60 whatever happens cover out and it breaks down in 18 months, you get a new washing machine and £42 refund on your cover, so your washing machine broke down out of warranty, was replaced with a brand new one and it cost you £18. As I said those figures are only as an example to explain how it works.
    Coming up to my 7th year on this site so I figured I should get me a signature!

I am now a DTD Addict
  • eVOLVE_3
    eVOLVE_3 Posts: 10 Forumite
    No one would realistically exchange a 6 month old freezer? It was a hotpoint (never again).

UGH @ hotpoint... saw so many of them go wrong... Speaking purely in regard to how many we got back vs how many we sold, I would stick to Zanussi, Bosch (2 yr warranty) or Miele if you've got the cash (plus they normally include a 5 yr manufacturer's warranty - amusingly, you'll still get the salesman trying to sell you their 5 yr warranty on top of that ;))
    For your into my flat screen tele from John Lewis gave up the ghost not long ago, after 8 months. They exhanged it, moral of the story is........ don't shop at currys.

Nice... Out of interest, what was the TV make model? What was wrong with it?
  • rustybucket
    UGH @ hotpoint... saw so many of them go wrong... Speaking purely in regard to how many we got back vs how many we sold, I would stick to Zanussi, Bosch (2 yr warranty) or Miele if you've got the cash (plus they normally include a 5 yr manufacturer's warranty - amusingly, you'll still get the salesman trying to sell you their 5 yr warranty on top of that ;))

Samsung, picture stopped working, no expert
  • rustybucket

We bought the hotpoint (was expensive) as the Miele had handles she didn't like.....women! The Miele was £100 more expensive and was the one I wanted, as we have a Miele washing machine which is fantastic.

Will never ever buy from currys/comet/dixons/pc world etc ever again, John Lewis gets the thumbs up from us.
  • eVOLVE_3
    eVOLVE_3 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Samsung, picture stopped working, no expert

Heh... we had a load of samsungs that they let us exchange... big mess up on Samsung's part in that there was a dodgy diode in one of their LCD ranges, and while they did deal with it very well, they gave us EA numbers (holy grail of results when you call them) allowing us to just exchange them over!

It is a shame about the Miele design though... they are easy to dislike, and of course part of it is down to the look and whether it fits in. Ahh well... at least the hotpoints do a nice wash, which is kind of the whole point! :D
  • BeerBelly
    BeerBelly Posts: 325 Forumite
    MAKE SURE YOU BARTER THE WARRANTY!

I did this at Dixon's - they wanted £80 for 3 years warranty on MP3 player (Creative Zen), got the price down twice and paid £24.99 for the 3 years - during the 3 years got a newer next model up (when screen had a fault) and now on a video IPOD without spending a penny!

Never usually buy warranty EVER.

Remember either way you have 1 year manufacturers warranty FREE based on consumer rights/.
  • Ems*Honie
    Ems*Honie Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Samsung cover their own goods under warrenty for 2 yrs according to a repair man that came out and fixed my F/F recently, he said that the larger stores dont tend to tell people this so they pay for the extended cover which is extra. As I say, I'm reporting heresay, I could be wrong ;)
  • SuperNashwan
    SuperNashwan Posts: 74 Forumite
    BeerBelly wrote: »
    MAKE SURE YOU BARTER THE WARRANTY!
    Remember either way you have 1 year manufacturers warranty FREE based on consumer rights/.
    Err, no you don't. Whatever made you think that? The manufacturer's warranty is provided entirely at their discretion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure