PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Comments

• Shortie
    Shortie Posts: 2,224
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    bossymoo wrote: »
    Definitely get the chimney swept, you don't want a fire up there! You can also get balloons to fill the void whilst a fire isn't lit, to stop draughts.
    We have the chimney sweep coming tomorrow :) And, if he says the chimney is fine (ie no lining required) we are seriously looking at investing in a log burner. I know they aren't cheap, but I was looking today and there were figures quoting that open fires are about 25% efficient, where as log burners are in the region of 70-75% effiicient, so we should get tonnes more heat thrown back into the room. It will eventually pay for itself I'm sure but if we're planning to use the fire place, we might has well invest to make it as efficient as possible (plus they look lovely and would 'fit' the property really well :))
    April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250
  • ZsaZsa
    ZsaZsa Posts: 397
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Broomstick wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good humidifier under £100? (Most of the ones on Amazon are in three figures).

I have to dry a huge amount of sports kit for our club every week and it's fine if the weather's good but the winter months are difficult. I have a Lakeland three tier rack and radiator in the kitchen and when I am drying clothes and cooking the humidity is very high.

Also, has anyone worked out the costs of running a dehumidifier?

Many thanks
    B x

Have a look on ebay, we got both of ours 2nd hand. One we've had about 6 years and still going strong, the other we got a couple of years ago and it was like new. Think they were about £50 each :)
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    edited 29 October 2012 at 7:07PM
    2tonsils wrote: »

One thing I am discussing at the moment is the massive storm that is going to hit America. I have a friend who forecasts weather and is a storm follower. He thinks the same as I do that the storm is going to head further north than they are saying and that it will stall and stand over a certain area for quite a long time, held by the cold front that is giving snow to some areas. Hence snow blizzards and horrendous days for people in floods and high winds .

I asked him about the chances of the UK getting the remnants of this storm and he said it is possible.....there are already other storm systems coming across the Atlantic towards the UK now. Looks like you might be in for a very stormy time this winter:eek:

there is apparently a massive polar front due to collide with this storm, which, by last accounts is 1000 miles wide, or at least that's what my american friends say the news has been saying. they have ordered mandatory evacuation of NYC and there is already serious flooding etc etc

anyway, if hurricane sandy meets with the polar front i suspect there will be another repeat of the blizzard of 1978 which i remember VERY clearly from my childhood http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Blizzard_of_1978 that was one nasty storm and it wouldn't surprise me if this one is even worse

from what i've heard it's heading towards canada as far as the polar/hurricane collision goes, it would not surprise me at all to see some backlash from this.... i really feel for the people on the east coast this thing is terrifying from what they're saying and the news is just hyping it up, i just hope everone that can evacuate is able to, i've experienced hurricanes,they are not to be trifled with and this one is a doozy!
  • the_cake
    the_cake Posts: 668 Forumite
    Dehumidifiers ...
    I have been after one for a while, as I think they will make a big difference to the house, soI have just bitten the bullet and bought a little B & Q own make 10 litre model (no longer available at B & Q) on eb*y - it has very good reviews. I will go and collect it later this week and let you know. It was (I hope!!) a bargain at £30....
    Now all I need is a food dehydrator and I will be a happy and dry bunny. xx
  • 2tonsils
    2tonsils Posts: 915 Forumite
    I have just been sent this link by a friend of mine....better prepare for a long icy winter

Britain set to freeze in long arctic winter! - so the media say.

http://www.ukweatherforecast.tv/britain-set-to-freeze-in-long-arctic-winter/
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • Hello peeps :hello:

I am another who thinks that a cold winter might be expected or at least suspected. I am grateful that the UK is not prone to the extremes that other places are. However it does mean that an awful lot of people are too complacent, so the weather here doesn't have to get that 'extreme' before people suffer disproportionately.

Re duvets, OH and I have a standard 10.5 tog duvet and a woolen blanket (from a charity shop) but then we have a single duvet across our legs. I find that two full-length duvets is too warm and also too heavy even though both the duvets we used were lightweight ones, if that makes sense. But with just the proper duvet and a blanket our feet still get too cold, even though our top halves are nice and warm.

Re dehumidifiers, I have the cheapest non-mini one I could find, which at the time was an Argos own-brand. It's good, efficient, hasn't broken down yet and works well. I would say the main things to look for if you want to make an informed decision are the extraction rate, the size of the container if you plan to leave it running all day while you are out, and the method it works by (dessicant ones blow warm as they work which is appealing; coil ones blow cool air but are cheaper initially and more energy efficient therefore cheaper to run).
  • herbily
    herbily Posts: 278
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hey confuzzled,

I didn't see the tv ad as I'm in NI but I totally agree with you regarding the government knowing more than they're letting on!!

Did you notice that the met office are now hosting "Get ready for Winter" pages on the governments behalf?!! First time I've seen anything like it.

Maybe there is something in Joe B's prediction/forecast that Europe & UK will have their worst winter for 50 years??
    Gosh, did Joe illegitimate say that? That's scarey, he was the only forecaster to call the winter of 2010 correctly - do you know when he predicted the snow to start? (sorry if I've missed this earlier in the topic, I live in the country with a very slow connection and if I miss a couple of days on the board, I don't always manage to catch up!)
  • bubbs
    bubbs Posts: 66,862
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    2tonsils wrote: »
    I have just been sent this link by a friend of mine....better prepare for a long icy winter

Britain set to freeze in long arctic winter! - so the media say.

http://www.ukweatherforecast.tv/britain-set-to-freeze-in-long-arctic-winter/

Just read this link and better start filling bottles with water then as didnt have a drip out of my taps in 2010 for 6 WEEKS!! that included christmas :eek::eek:
    Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j spc number 22 £1,457Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
  • Broomstick
    Broomstick Posts: 1,648
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Many thanks for the info and suggestions about dehumidifiers. Someone has offered to loan me one to try out so I think if I do that it will give me a better idea of the size of machine I'll need and how much water needs to be shifted. It's been so long since I've bought a substantial piece of equipment (new or second-hand) that I'd forgotten about ebay! :o I think I'm still on our local freecycle too so I'll reactivate those emails as well.

B x
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Borrowing one is a great idea!

I have just seen a sign (like those matrix signs on the motorway) on the way into Leeds City centre, asking "Is your car ready for winter?".

I have been driving that route for over 5 years (not non-stop of course, lol) and it's the first time I've seen it. Highly suspicious, lol. As it happens, mine is ready.

Not half as chilly out this morning as I expected it to be...
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family