IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

POPLA Decisions

Comments

• Silvercloud18
    Silvercloud18 Posts: 115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Operator Information and Evidence
    Submitted 19/04/2018
    POPLA assessment and decision
    08/05/2018
    Verification Code

DecisionUnsuccessful
    Assessor NameLauren Bailey
    Assessor summary of operator case
    The operator!!!8217;s case is that the appellant parked without making a payment.

Assessor summary of your case
    The appellant!!!8217;s case is that they did not park and the operator has not allowed the correct grace period. The appellant explained that the driver could not turn around easily due to the car park conditions. The appellant also stated that there was a queue entering and exiting the site. The appellant commented that the car park is unlit and has a bad road surface. The appellant said that there are no bay markings and there is graffiti on the signs. They also stated that there is a lack of disabled bays. The appellant said that there is no space for disabled passengers to exit vehicles due to vehicles being double parked. The appellant questioned if the operator has the authority to issue parking charges on the land in question. The appellant stated that ANPR system is not accurate or reliable. The appellant said that the signs do not state how the operator uses the data collected by ANPR. The appellant provided evidence that they left the site and paid at an alternative car park. The appellant referred to the Parking Eye vs Beavis case. Further, the appellant has referred to clarity of the terms on the signs. They have also commented on the location of the sins within this car park.

Assessor supporting rational for decision
    The appellant has not named the driver of the vehicle on the date in question. I will therefore need to consider if the operator met the requirements of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (PoFA 2012). I have reviewed the Notice to Keeper and I am satisfied that the operator has transferred liability correctly and met the requirements of PoFA 2012. The appellant stated that the operator has not complied Section 21.1 of the British Parking Association Code of Practice, which states: !!!8220;You may use ANPR camera technology to manage, control and enforce parking in private car parks, as long as you do this in a reasonable, consistent and transparent manner. Your signs at the car park must tell drivers that you are using this technology and what you will use the data captured by ANPR cameras for.!!!8221; Upon reviewing the evidence of the signage provided by the operator, I note it states !!!8220;car park monitored by ANPR systems!!!8221;. As such, I am satisfied that it is clear the data is used to monitor vehicle using this car park. I consider that it is clear the data is used to identify non-compliance with the terms and conditions at the site. The appellant has raised Section 21.2 of the BPA Code of Practice and questioned the reliability of the ANPR systems at this location. In terms of the technology of the ANPR cameras themselves, the British Parking Association audits the ANPR systems in use by parking operators in order to ensure that they are in good working order and that the data collected is accurate. Independent research has found that the technology is generally accurate. Unless POPLA is presented with sufficient evidence to prove otherwise, we work on the basis that the technology was working at the time of the alleged improper parking. On this occasion, the appellant has failed to provide POPLA with any evidence to substantiate their claims that the vehicle did not remain in the car park for the length of time suggested by the ANPR cameras. I must therefore work on the basis that they were in working order on the date of the contravention. The appellant!!!8217;s case is that the operator has not provided any evidence that the operator has the authority to issue parking charges. Section 7.1 of the BPA Code of Practice sets out to parking operators that !!!8220;if you do not own the land on which you are carrying out parking management, you must have the written authorisation of the landowner (or their appointed agent). The written confirmation must be given before you can start operating on the land in question and give you authority to carry out all aspects of car park management for the site you are responsible for. In particular, it must say that the landowner (or their appointed agent) requires you to keep to the Code of Practice and that you have the authority to pursue outstanding parking charges.!!!8221; The operator has provided POPLA with a signed contract dated 24 March 2016. From the evidence provided by the operator, I can see that signs have been in place at this location since 2015. The operator still has signs at this site and is also still using ANPR to detect non-compliance with the car park terms and conditions. On the balance of probability I am satisfied that the operator does in fact have the permission of the landowner to issue parking charges on this land. The appellant stated the operator has not allowed a grace period. They explained the conditions at this car park and stated this affected the driver leaving the site. Section 13.2 of The BPA Code of Practice that states: !!!8220;You should allow the driver a reasonable !!!8216;grace period!!!8217; in which to decide if they are going to stay or go. If the driver is on your land without permission, you should still allow them a grace period to read your signs and leave before you take enforcement action!!!8221;. However, the driver remained at the car park for 15 minutes without making a payment. I have considered the size of this car park and based on that, I believe that 15 minutes is in excess of a reasonable period to remain in this car park without making a payment. While I appreciate the appellant!!!8217;s comments about the car park conditions, I do not consider that it would take 15 minutes to park, attempt to read the signs then leave a car park of this size. The appellant commented on the clarity of the signs in this car park. The appellant said that are not clear and were covered in graffiti. The terms and conditions in place at this car park state !!!8220;parking tariffs apply!!!8230;weekday: Mon !!!8211; Fri, 8am !!!8211; 6pm!!!8230;overnight: Mon !!!8211; Sun, 6pm !!!8211; 8am!!!8221;. I will therefore consider the clarity of the signs at this car park. Within Section 18.1 of the British Parking Association (BPA) Code of Practice, it states: !!!8220;In all cases, the driver!!!8217;s use of your land will be governed by your terms and conditions, which the driver should be made aware of from the start. You must use signs to make it easy for them to find out what your terms and conditions are.!!!8221; Section 18.2 of the BPA Code of Practice continues to state: !!!8220;!!!8230;as well as the signs you must have telling drivers about the terms and conditions for parking, you must also have a standard form of entrance sign at the entrance to the parking area. Entrance signs must tell drivers that the car park is managed and that there are terms and conditions they must be aware of!!!8221;. The operator has provided evidence of the entrance signs at the site. The entrance sign states: !!!8220;tariff payable at machine or by phone!!!8221;. I am satisfied this sign informed you that you were entering private land and were required to comply with the terms and conditions displayed on the signs. Having considered this, I am satisfied that it meets the requirements set out above and is sufficient to inform drivers that they are entering private land and need to be aware of terms and conditions once they are within the car park itself. Furthermore, Section 18.3 of the BPA Code of Practice states: !!!8220;You must place signs containing the specific parking terms throughout the site, so that drivers are given the chance to read them at the time of parking or leaving their vehicle. Keep a record of where all the signs are. Signs must be conspicuous and legible, and written in intelligible language, so that they are easy to see, read and understand.!!!8221; I consider the photographic evidence to show that the operator met the minimum standards set by the BPA. I am satisfied that the signage installed by the parking operator is !!!8220;conspicuous!!!8221;, !!!8220;legible, and written in intelligible language, so that they are easy to see, read and understand.!!!8221; Additionally, I can see that there are lighting posts around this car park. This would suggest that the car park is lit at night. As the appellant has not provided evidence to show otherwise, I am satisfied there is sufficient lighting in this car park. While I appreciate the appellant!!!8217;s comments that the signs have been defaced, they have not provided any evidence to support this. In any case, if the appellant could not read the terms they could have left the site in a more timely manner. The appellant referred to the Parking Eye vs Beavis case. I will therefore consider the prominence of the parking charge on the signs at this site. The legality of parking charges has been the subject of a high profile court case, ParkingEye-v-Beavis. Cambridge County Court heard the case initially, handing down a decision in May 2014 that a parking charge of £85 was allowable. It held that the parking charge had the characteristics of a penalty, in the sense in which that expression is conventionally used, but one that was commercially justifiable because it was neither improper in its purpose nor manifestly excessive in its amount. Mr Beavis took the case to the Court of Appeal, which refused the appeal in April 2015, stating that the charge was neither extravagant nor unconscionable. Mr Beavis further appealed to the Supreme Court, which on 4 November 2015, concluded: !!!8220;!!!8230;the £85 charge is not a penalty. Both ParkingEye and the landowners had a legitimate interest in charging overstaying motorists, which extended beyond the recovery of any loss. The interest of the landowners was the provision and efficient management of customer parking for the retail outlets. The interest of ParkingEye was in income from the charge, which met the running costs of a legitimate scheme plus a profit margin. Further, the charge was neither extravagant nor unconscionable, having regard to practice around the United Kingdom, and taking into account the use of this particular car park and the clear wording of the notices.!!!8221; As such, I must consider whether the signage at this site is sufficient. When doing so, I must consider the minimum standards set out in Section 18 of the BPA Code of Practice. Within Section 18.1 of the BPA Code of Practice, it states as follows: !!!8220;You must use signs to make it easy for them to find out what your terms and conditions are.!!!8221; Furthermore, Section 18.3 of the BPA Code of Practice states: !!!8220;You must place signs containing the specific parking terms throughout the site, so that drivers are given the chance to read them at the time of parking or leaving their vehicle. Keep a record of where all the signs are. Signs must be conspicuous and legible, and written in intelligible language, so that they are easy to see, read and understand.!!!8221; As stated, these are the minimum standards that could be expected of the parking operator when informing motorists of the terms and conditions at a particular site. In addition to this, I note that within the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 it discusses the clarity that needs to be provided to make a motorist aware of the charge. Specifically, it requires that the driver is given !!!8220;adequate notice!!!8221; of the charge. The act then moved on to define !!!8220;adequate notice!!!8221; as follows: (3) For the purposes of sub-paragraph (2) !!!8220;adequate notice!!!8221; means notice given by: (a) the display of one or more notices in accordance with any applicable requirements prescribed in regulations under paragraph 12 for, or for purposes including, the purposes of sub-paragraph (2); or (b) where no such requirements apply, the display of one or more notices which: (i) specify the sum as the charge for unauthorised parking; and (ii) are adequate to bring the charge to the notice of drivers who park vehicles on the relevant land. As previously stated, I am satisfied that the signage at the car park is !!!8220;conspicuous!!!8221;, !!!8220;legible, and the parking charge amount of £100 is prominently displayed on the signs. Although the charge may not be a genuine pre-estimate of loss, the signage at the location is clear the motorist did not keep to the terms and conditions set out on the signage, and the charge is neither extravagant nor unconscionable. While the charge in this instance was £100, this is in the region of the £85 charge decided on by the Supreme Court. I acknowledge the appellant!!!8217;s comments regarding the lack of disabled parking bays. However, the operator issued the parking charge as the appellant parked without making a payment. As a tariff applies to disabled motorists, where the appellant parked has no bearing on the outcome of the appeal. Fundamentally, it is the motorist!!!8217;s responsibility to check for any terms and conditions, and either adhere to them or choose to leave. By parking your vehicle at the site, the driver of the vehicle is indicating an acceptance of the terms and conditions. After considering the evidence, I am satisfied that the appellant failed to meet these terms and conditions. I can only conclude the operator issued the parking charge correctly. Therefore, this appeal must be refused.
  • Silvercloud18
    Sorry for the random letters i posted on a laptop so not sure why!!
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    That's a template, she didn't write it - they all end like that when people get a refusal.

You need to start replying on your own thread; this one is only for the decision.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Silvercloud18
    Sorry i noticed i have tried to delete it several times and it doesnt seem to be going :(
  • Thanks everyone.

Thank you for submitting your parking charge Appeal to POPLA.

An Appeal has been opened with the reference 5911088008.

Parking Charge Limited have told us they do not wish to contest the Appeal. This means that your Appeal is successful and you do not need to pay the parking charge.

Yours sincerely

POPLA Team

ET6116/001
  • LoneStarState
    LoneStarState Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 September 2018 at 11:55PM
    POPLA appeal rejected. Oh well it is only Britannia. Original thread accessible from my username.

POPLA assessment and decision
    26//04//2018

Verification Code
    XXXXXXXXXX
    Decision Unsuccessful

Assessor Name S. S.

Assessor summary of operator case
    The operator!!!8217;s case is that the appellant parked longer than the maximum
    time permitted.

Assessor summary of your case
    The appellant has raised several grounds of appeal such as: Grace period. Entrance signs are inadequately positioned and lit and signs are not prominent are not clear. The signs fail to warn drivers of what the ANPR data will be used for. No evidence of period parked. Notice to keeper does not meet the requirements of the Protection of Freedoms Act (PoFA) 2012. The operator has not shown that the individual who it is pursuing is in fact the driver who was liable for the charge. No evidence of landowner authority. No planning permission. To support the appeal, the appellant has provided POPLA with a copy of the parking charge, the initial rejection letter and photographs of the signage.

Assessor supporting rational (sic) for decision
    In this case, it is not clear who the driver of the appellant!!!8217;s vehicle is, so I must consider PoFA 2012, as the operator issued the Parking Charge Notice (PCN) to the keeper of the vehicle. The operator has provided me with a copy of the notice to keeper sent to the appellant. I have reviewed the notice to keeper against the relevant sections of PoFA 2012 and I am satisfied that it is compliant.

When it comes to parking on private land, a motorist accepts the terms and conditions of the site by parking their vehicle. The terms and conditions are stipulated on the signs displayed within the car park. The operator has provided both PDF document versions and photographic evidence of the signage displayed on site. The signs state !!!8220;Maximum Stay 2 Hours. THIS CAR PARK IS REGULARLY CONTROLLED BY MOBILE ENFORCEMENT TEAMS. £100 Parking Charge Notice may be issued to vehicles which: Exceed the maximum stay period.!!!8221;

The car park in question is monitored by Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras. The operator has provided photographic evidence of the appellant!!!8217;s vehicle entering the site at 17:19pm and exited the site at 19:36pm. The images captured by the ANPR cameras confirm that the appellant!!!8217;s vehicle remained on site for a total of two hour and 17 minutes. I note the appellant!!!8217;s comments and the evidence provided to support their reason for parking at the site in question. In terms of the technology of the ANPR cameras themselves, the British Parking Association (BPA) audits the ANPR systems in use by parking operators in order to ensure that they are in good working order and that the data collected is accurate. Independent research has found that the technology is generally accurate. Unless POPLA is presented with sufficient evidence to prove otherwise, we consider the technology was working at the time of the alleged improper parking. Based on the evidence provided, I can only see one entrance and one exit for vehicle registration XXXX XXX. Therefore, in this case I conclude that the charge was issued correctly.

Section 7.1 of the BPA Code of Practice outlines to operators, !!!8220;If you do not own the land on which you are carrying out parking management, you must have the written authorisation of the landowner (or their appointed agent). The written confirmation must be given before you can start operating on the land in question and give you the authority to carry out all the aspects of car park management for the site that you are responsible for. In particular, it must say that the landowner (or their appointed agent) requires you to keep to the Code of Practice and that you have the authority to pursue outstanding parking charges!!!8221;. After reviewing the operator!!!8217;s evidence, it has provided sufficient written authorisation of the landowner confirming it can operate on the land in question.

Section 13.4 of the BPA Code of Practice states !!!8220;you should allow the driver a reasonable period to leave the private car park after the parking contract has ended, before you take enforcement action. If the location is one where parking is normally permitted, the Grace Period at the end of the parking period should be a minimum of 10 minutes!!!8221;. As the appellant exceeded the maximum stay period by 17 minutes, I do not consider this to be a reasonable grace period to exit the car park. Therefore, I will not be applying grace periods in this appeal.

I note the appellant!!!8217;s comments however, I can see from the photographic evidence of the signage that there is an ANPR icon on every sign. Furthermore, the signage states !!!8220;By entering this private car park, you consent, for the purpose of car park management to: the capturing of photographs of the vehicle and registration by the ANPR cameras and/or by the attendant and to the processing of this data, together with any data provided by you or others via the payment or permit systems!!!8221;. Therefore, I am satisfied that the signage complies with Section 21.1 of the BPA Code of Practice which states !!!8220;Your signs at the car park must tell drivers that you are using this technology and what you will use the data captured by ANPR cameras for!!!8221;. In the BPA Code of Practice, section 18.3 !!!8220;signage tells drivers what your terms and conditions are, including the parking charges. You must place signs containing the specific parking terms throughout the site so that drivers are given the chance to read them at the time of parking or leaving.!!!8221; Section 18 of the BPA Code of Practice also explains, that signs !!!8220;must be conspicuous and legible and written in intelligible language so that they are easy to see read and understand.!!!8221; I consider that the photographic evidence show that the operator met the minimum standards set by the BPA by displaying clear and sufficient signage throughout the car park in clear view to motorists. The entrance signage is also clear and sufficient.

The appellant also states that there is no planning permission from Southampton City Council for Pole-Mounted ANPR camera and no advertising consent for signage. However, this would not be relevant to the appeal and would have no bearing to my decision. The onus is on the appellant to ensure they do not exceed the maximum stay period on site. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the motorist to ensure that when they enter a car park, they have understood the terms and conditions of parking. If the appellant suspected that the terms and conditions of the site could not be complied with, there would have been sufficient time to leave the site without entering into a contract with the operator. By remaining parked on site, the appellant accepted the terms and conditions. On this occasion, the appellant has failed to follow the terms and conditions of the signage at the site. I conclude that the operator issued the Parking Charge Notice correctly. Accordingly, I must refuse this appeal.
  • m149065
    m149065 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Success : 1410908501 Message from POPLA PTL:0029910

appealed on various grounds but the winning part seems to be that Civil Enforcement have not proven an agreement with The Redwoods centre in Shrewsbury.

Thanks for the advice MSE
  • financerulez
    financerulez Posts: 103 Forumite
    Absolutely astounded POPLA have rejected this appeal. Key point was on the darkness / no lighting so impossible to see signage - the appeal decision didn't even mention any of that. Do ECP still not doing court?

Decision Rationale:

When entering onto a private car park, the motorist forms a contract with the operator by remaining on the land for a reasonable period. The signage at the site sets out the terms and conditions of this contract. Therefore, upon entry to the car park, it is the duty of the motorist to review the terms and conditions, and comply with them, when deciding to park. The operator has provided photographic evidence of the signage that states, “…Failure to comply with the following will result in the issue pf a £100 parking charge notice…Purchase and display a valid ticket or permit clearly inside your windscreen…”. The operator has provided photographic evidence of the appellant’s vehicle, entering the car park at 21:14, and exiting at 23:13, totalling a stay of one hour and 59 minutes. The appellant has raised several grounds of appeal. I have addressed each ground as follows: They say the operator has no land owner authority. Section 7.1 of the BPA code of practice states, “If you do not own the land on which you are carrying out parking management, you must have the written authorisation of the landowner (or their appointed agent) before you can start operating on the land in question. The authorisation must give you the authority to carry out all the aspects of the management and enforcement of the site that you are responsible for. In particular, it must say that the landowner requires you to keep to the Code of Practice and that either you have the authority to pursue outstanding parking charges, through the courts if necessary or that you have the authority to pursue outstanding parking charges and, with their permission, through the courts if necessary.” Further to this, section 7.3 states, “The written authorisation must also set out: a the definition of the land on which you may operate, so that the boundaries of the land can be clearly defined b any conditions or restrictions on parking control and enforcement operations, including any restrictions on hours of operation c any conditions or restrictions on the types of vehicles that may, or may not, be subject to parking control and enforcement d who has the responsibility for putting up and maintaining signs e the definition of the services provided by each party to the agreement.” The operator has provided a witness statement and I am satisfied that the operator has the authority to issue PCN’s on this site. The operator does not need to provide a full copy of the full contract as it may contain commercially sensitive information. The appellant states that there is no keeper liability. In this case, it is not clear who the driver of the appellant’s vehicle is, so I must consider the Protection of Freedoms Act (PoFA) 2012, as the operator issued the Parking Charge Notice (PCN) to the keeper of the vehicle. The operator has provided me with a copy of the notice to keeper sent to the appellant. I have reviewed the notice to keeper against the relevant sections of PoFA 2012 and I am satisfied that it is compliant. The appellant states that he operator is not compliant with the BPA Code of Practice. The site operates Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras, which capture vehicles entering and exiting the site to calculate the time a vehicle has remained in the car park. This data captured is then compared with the online transaction record, and therefore if no payment can be located for the correct vehicle registration, a PCN is issued. The British Parking Association (BPA) audits the ANPR systems in use by parking operators in order to ensure it is in good working order and the data collected is accurate. I accept the appellant disputes the ANPR evidence provided by the operator, however as no evidence has been provided to demonstrate otherwise, I will work on the basis that the technology is accurate. The images provided by the operator show the appellants vehicle entering and exiting the car park. The operator does not have to provide evidence of the appellant’s vehicle parked. Further, these images are time and date stamped and I am satisfied that these images are compliant with the minimum standards as set out in the BPA Code of Practice. Ultimately, it is the motorist’s responsibility to comply with the terms and conditions of the car park. Upon consideration of the evidence, the appellant failed to display a valid pay and display ticket and therefore did not comply with the terms and conditions of the car park. As such, I conclude that the PCN has been issued correctly. Accordingly, I must refuse this appeal.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 24 May 2018 at 12:25PM
    1. You must raise a complaint of 'Procedural Impropriety' to John Gallagher, POPLA Lead Adjudicator that a critical appeal point (the readability of signage - the detailed contract the driver is to enter - was impossible due to darkness) was not considered by the assessor - as evidenced in its total lack of acknowledgement in the decision notification.
    The British Parking Association (BPA) audits the ANPR systems in use by parking operators in order to ensure it is in good working order and the data collected is accurate.
    2. Complaint to Steve Clark of the BPA about this POPLA statement and ask when the BPA last audited the ANPR at 'your' car park, what tests were performed, the qualifications of the auditor to carry out the technical aspects of the audit, and what were the findings?

steve.c@britishparking.co.uk
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Absolutely astounded POPLA have rejected this appeal. Key point was on the darkness / no lighting so impossible to see signage - the appeal decision didn't even mention any of that. ..........................................Accordingly, I must refuse this appeal.

This is the downside of kitchen sink appeals when there is a genuine major point. The point gets missed with all the standard clauses and the adjudicator no doubt cut and pasted their standard replies to standard appeal points.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback