Disputed debt

Hi,
I had some work done by a company that was not completed.

After a lot of arguing they agreed that it was not completed, but we cannot agree on how it should be completed.

Rather than resolving the issue, they have instead decided to get a debt collection agency to demand payment.

Do I need to directly dispute the debt with the collection agency, or can I just continue to dispute it with the original company?

I just want to make sure that not disputing it with the collection agency, won't cause me problems later on.

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi there and welcome to MSE,

If this was work done on your home, for example, and you are unhappy with the finished outcome then I would suggest you get some legal advice about your rights. You can then go back to further dispute the money claimed and a potential resolution to prevent this going through the courts. (For example, a refund of money paid for work in completed).

Depending on the circumstances may depend on whether to approach the debt collector or original company. Generally speaking, I would say to go to the debt collector as they are now in control of the debt or acting for the original company and will discuss your proposal with them.

If this was done as part of a business transaction then you will probably still need legal advice but could also try speaking to Business Debtline - 0800 197 6026.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure