PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How long will it take to complete?

Hi everyone we had offer on our leasehold flat around 6 weeks ago. We got our management pack really quickly and have answered all the buyers questions etc.

The person buying our flat is also selling a flat (to a cash buyer). Their management pack has apparently only been received today.

It took us ages to find a house, but finally had an offer accepted just over a week ago. our mortgage survey was done within 48 hours so a week ago today (although we’ve not had formal mortgage offer yet).

The people we buying off are looking to purchase but said they happy to stay with family not to hold things up (they downsizing).

I know the answer is probably how long is a piece of string, but now my buyer has her management pack how much longer do you think it will all take.

Solicitor is (prob rightly so) vague and won’t even give estimate. We all so excited and just can’t wait for it to happen. 3 kids in two bed flat for years and we finally getting house with a garden if all goes to plan!!!

The whole thing so stressful as we had offer accepted on another house but someone offered buyer £4K more and they dropped us.

Any advice from people who’ve done this would be gratefully received.

Comments

• If you've just had an offer accepted then you're looking at, bare minimum, 12 weeks to complete. Probably more as there may be delays with searches (local authorities have seriously reduced staff nowadays), with key people going on holiday, incompetent solicitors on one side, and just with people struggling to get all their ducks lined up in a row. The more parties in the chain the longer it could be as it takes a while to get everyone on the same page. Could be 12 weeks, could be 24.

Be very wary of a vendor saying they'll move with family or in to rented, a lot of them say it and then when faced with the possibility refuse to do so and there's nothing you can do about it if you haven't exchanged. So be pleasant but be prepared to pull out if they suddenly tell you they need 3/6/9 months to find a new place to buy.

I'm afraid the stress doesn't get any easier from here.
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    If you've just had an offer accepted then you're looking at, bare minimum, 12 weeks to complete.

This really isn't accurate. They are one week past the mortgage valuation. It can be much less than 12 weeks from that point.

Have you instructed the searches? If searches are already underway, probably the minimum from this stage it's possible you could complete in 3-4 weeks. That's ambitious but it's definitely not impossible.

Obviously unexpected stuff can happen and put this back significantly, which you should be prepared for mentally and financially.

You should chase your solicitor regularly for updates and make it sound to the seller like you might pull out if you can't move in soon. It's definitely a buyers market right now, and that's power you can use!
  • Mjrmum
    Mjrmum Posts: 5 Forumite
    Thanks for replies. I’m going to chase the estate agent today and make sure all searches have been done with the other two Solicitors.

Really hope it’s only another 3 or 4 weeks and that my seller isn’t fibbing about living with relatives!
  • Tiglet2
    Tiglet2 Posts: 2,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 10 May 2018 at 9:19AM
    Solicitor is (prob rightly so) vague and won!!!8217;t even give estimate

In layman's terms, this means there is still too much outstanding work to start giving out estimates. Your solicitors have no idea when third parties will respond to your buyer's buyer's management pack or have any control over how quickly your vendor/vendor's solicitors will supply requested information. It is not only the seller who has to respond to queries, the freeholder/management company have to as well. Some responses may need to be reported to the lender. Management Companies are notorious for tardy responses and requesting huge amounts of money for notices etc, and won't issue them without payment up front.

You are in the very early stages of your onward purchase. If your offer was only accepted a week ago, then your solicitor may not have even received the draft contract pack yet, or if they may only have received part of it. Your solicitor cannot raise enquiries if he hasn't received the protocol documents and there is no way of knowing until all these are received, how many enquiries your solicitor may need to make and whether he approves the contract. Don't forget, enquiries have to sent from your solicitor, to the seller's solicitor, then to the vendor, who returns responses to their solicitor, who then sends responses to your solicitor. Unless everyone responds by email immediately (and the responses are satisfactory), it can take several weeks for the enquiries to be done.

You will also need searches done on your purchase. Local Authority searches can take several weeks to come back and your solicitor may need to raise more enquiries based on search results.

There are two leasehold properties in your chain (yours and your buyers), which will certainly add some time to the transaction.

My son is a FTB purchasing a flat, now 4 weeks since his offer was accepted. My firm are acting for him and we are doing everything we need to be doing as soon as it comes in. Nevertheless we still haven't received the management pack from the sellers and we only received the Lease and F&F, PIF and LIF forms from them on Monday. We did receive a draft contract and official copies of the title pretty quickly, so have ordered searches, however Local Authority search is still awaited and majority of enquiries only just raised due to waiting for the additional documents to be supplied by the seller.

I don't mean to sound so negative, but the fact you have your survey booked and have obtained the management pack quickly is only a small part of the process. Your management company need to respond to leasehold enquiries, because the buyer's solicitor will need to corroborate your responses with theirs. Likewise your buyers will be doing the same with their buyers.

While it may only take another 3-4 weeks, the likelihood is that the 12 weeks mentioned above is probably more realistic.
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    jonnygee2 wrote: »
    You should chase your solicitor regularly for updates and make it sound to the seller like you might pull out if you can't move in soon. It's definitely a buyers market right now, and that's power you can use!
    Nothing like making what can be a stressful time even more so.
  • Tiglet2
    Tiglet2 Posts: 2,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Surrey_EA Totally agree! Solicitor's nightmare client in the making!

It might be a buyer's market, but a buyer doesn't have much power actually. Yes, a buyer can threaten to pull out, but all the solicitors in the chain have to do their due diligence before they agree to exchange. If clients are not going to let solicitors do their job, then they might as well not bother to instruct one.
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    I think I have got lucky with our solicitor with our sale this time. We instructed the as soon as our property was on the market. So all our forms were filled in and already returned to her before we even accepted an offer.

The day after accepting an offer she had the draft contract pack ready to send to the buyers solicitor and even raised a few potential enquiries of her own with us that she said the buyers solicitor may raise later on. So they were sorted out early.

Just waiting on our buyers. Valuation done but not heard any news for a week now...
  • Car1980
    Car1980 Posts: 301 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Took 12 weeks for my leasehold flat. Now I'm buying a leasehold house and we are now in week 21.

Depends how good the other side are at answering your solicitor's enquiries. If the other side are as utterly hopeless as with our sale you'll be in for a long wait!
  • Asl77c
    Asl77c Posts: 87 Forumite
    Our purchase was exchanged in 9 week so.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I'm now 9 weeks post-accepted offer and still not exchanged even though it should have been a simple transaction (no chain in either direction, cash buyer, etc.). Everything held up by a minor title issue, slow communications between solicitors and a lazy seller's solicitor.
    (Nearly) dunroving
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport