Online Security help

Options
Truffle_Snuffler
Truffle_Snuffler Posts: 24 Forumite
edited 8 May 2018 at 4:22PM in Techie Stuff
Can someone please help me with beefing up my on-line security? I've recently added a few more gadgets & need to make sure everything is as safe as possible.

I'm not a tech nerd so you may need to talk slowly!

The home network as it presently stands is 2 x PCs. One running Windows 10 & the other Linux Mint 18. The Linux was installed as a replacement to Win XP when they stopped issuing security patches (not for any technical reason). Both operating systems are kept up-to-date & have the installed firewalls turned on.

I have also got a Raspberry Pi just to try & improve my tech skills & an Android TV (KODI) box (which I appreciate may be the weakest link).

The network is wired & using TP-Link homeplugs & CAT 5 cabling. No file or printer sharing between any of the machines.

My router admin and WiFi passwords have been changed. The WiFi is left on only for using an Android smartphone at home.

I'm hoping that I've got the PCs secured but I know very little about Android or the Pi when it comes to security. I do home banking etc using only the Linux PC (if that makes any difference)

I have no desire to share anything between any of the machines so advice on how to keep them as separate as possible would be appreciated.

Thank you for any advice that can be given.

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Very first thing i would do is to ensure WPA is disabled on your router.
    You have installed Linux, so im assuming you have enough skill to log on to the routers interface ?
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have no desire to share anything between any of the machines so advice on how to keep them as separate as possible would be appreciated.

The easiest way would be to use the firewalls to block access to the IP range(s) of your devices (i.e. anything except the router, TP-Link adaptors, any wireless access points, etc.).
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    You have installed Linux, so im assuming you have enough skill to log on to the routers interface ?
    Second (1st imho) turn off uPnP everywhere
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm not a tech nerd

"I'd like some help but I'm going to insult people who know about the subject."

Excellent way to start a post asking for help.
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Welcome to the forum Truffle Snuffler.
    Tarambor wrote: »

If I was a nerd I wouldn't be offended but I am not so I'll shut up:rotfl:
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Do you mean WPS?
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    wongataa wrote: »
    Do you mean WPS?

Of course I do - apologies
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

I actually am a tech nerd and self identify as one.

I'm not offended.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Truffle_Snuffler
    Options

Sorry if this offended anyone. I was a bit ham-fisted in referencing my own level of skill & trying to suggest that I may not have the knowledge to be able to carry out complicated technical solutions. Certainly not meant to be a slur on anyone who would be able to assist me.

And thanks to anyone who has helped.
  • Truffle_Snuffler
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    The easiest way would be to use the firewalls to block access to the IP range(s) of your devices (i.e. anything except the router, TP-Link adaptors, any wireless access points, etc.).

Thanks for this suggestion. I'll have to have a look round to find out how to do this. I'm assuming it's not as simple as the uPnP & WPS suggestions which appear to be just unchecking boxes on the router set-up?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure