MSE News: 'We need to change your meter'...

Comments

• Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It's interesting to read that an engineer just turned up. My meter is external accessed by a standard hex key. Could an engineer just turn up whilst I am out and change the meter or do I have some rights?

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    My electric meter was at the "end of life" and they wanted to change it for a white LCD meter. I allowed it to happen but the guy they sent was a right knucklehead cowboy, he left a right mess of my wall and cables and never left a card with the old and new readings on. This is partially due to why I don't allow unannounced meter readers in too.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    My electric meter was at the "end of life" and they wanted to change it for a white LCD meter. I allowed it to happen but the guy they sent was a right knucklehead cowboy, he left a right mess of my wall and cables and never left a card with the old and new readings on. This is partially due to why I don't allow unannounced meter readers in too.
    At least it was nt your "wall " you claim the meter fitter messed up. Electric meters are always mounted on "their " wall, a wooden backboard.
    The supplier owns that and the meter and cables too.
    Its not a question of you allowing a supplier into your property to fit a new electric meter, you have no choice.You have to admit them whenever they need to enter to either change or even check them.
    Have a look in your terms and conditions of supply you will see these conditions clearly outlined Suppliers have the right to disconnect anyone who refuses access for a meter exchange.
  • nicobrum
    nicobrum Posts: 40
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Xbigman wrote: »
    It's interesting to read that an engineer just turned up. My meter is external accessed by a standard hex key. Could an engineer just turn up whilst I am out and change the meter or do I have some rights?

Darren

Don't know about the legality of changing the meter unannounced but while my Elec meter is external, my Gas meter isn't so they would have to be given access or would have to force entry. I think they turned up unannounced because I'd been ignoring subsequent letters as the meter had already been changed.

That said, many years back British Gas meter reader did force entry to read the gas meter, albeit that the wooden door was rotten around the padlock fittings so wasn't difficult for them to pull it out and access the meter. I knew they'd done this because I got a meter reader reading and not an estimate. When I complained because they made the issue with the door worse that it had been, they claimed it was rotten and they'd not done any damage, which wasn't what the complaint was about (namely forcing entry). Door got replaced quickly afterwards as stuff is stored in the "room" with the meter. Its not like they'd been restricted access, the meter had been read about 6 months previously so was no absolute reason to force entry, and I usually gave a meter reading when I received an estimate first.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,489
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

Darren

It DID happen to a neighbour a couple of years ago -leccy meter was changed whilst no-one was home -they only found out when they got back and found a card posted thru the letterbox!!
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It's interesting to read that an engineer just turned up. My meter is external accessed by a standard hex key. Could an engineer just turn up whilst I am out and change the meter or do I have some rights?Darren

If it is permitted (and I suspect it isn't) then it shouldn't be. The meter fitter will have no knowledge of what appliances might be in use in the house, nor would they be able to do a polarity check. The last meter change I was involved in (last Summer) they were very insistent that someone had to be at home even if the meter was outside - this is a good thing :).

From the consumer's point of view, being present when the meter is changed is important because it allows them to (a) safely shut down and disconnect any sensitive equipment and (b) verify the meter readings. Hopefully every customer gets asked to do this by the fitter, but I suspect a lot don't.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • [Deleted User]
    Forumite
    At least it was nt your "wall " you claim the meter fitter messed up. Electric meters are always mounted on "their " wall, a wooden backboard.
    The supplier owns that and the meter and cables too.
    Its not a question of you allowing a supplier into your property to fit a new electric meter, you have no choice.You have to admit them whenever they need to enter to either change or even check them.
    Have a look in your terms and conditions of supply you will see these conditions clearly outlined Suppliers have the right to disconnect anyone who refuses access for a meter exchange.

I didn't say I wasn't allowing them to do the work so no need to spiel legal jargon about it.

The installer left a cover that was covering the meter tails half hanging off. Am I supposed to put it back on myself (2 screws) or just leave it hanging with the risk of it being ripped off and making damage to the supply?

They are welcome to read my meters but what I object to is them turning up at 8pm on a winter night when it is !!!!ing down outside. If they made an appointment on a certain date at a convenient time then they are most welcome.
  • [Deleted User]
    Forumite
    EachPenny wrote: »
    If it is permitted (and I suspect it isn't) then it shouldn't be. The meter fitter will have no knowledge of what appliances might be in use in the house, nor would they be able to do a polarity check. The last meter change I was involved in (last Summer) they were very insistent that someone had to be at home even if the meter was outside - this is a good thing :).

From the consumer's point of view, being present when the meter is changed is important because it allows them to (a) safely shut down and disconnect any sensitive equipment and (b) verify the meter readings. Hopefully every customer gets asked to do this by the fitter, but I suspect a lot don't.

They didn't even fit a new meter with me as the new one already had a couple of hundred miles on the clock. Which was why I was even more !!!!ed off when the installer didn't leave a card. Luckily I had no trouble proving it.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Organisation Representative
    Midnighter wrote: »
    I think it's been in as long as we've been in the house, so about 30 years. But from reading of the letter, and it doesn't state anything about it being a legal requirement to change to meter, it's part of a program to install smart meters into all of their customers homes.

Despite it not stating that it's a legal requirement, the wording of the letter does strongly suggest that the meter has to be changed: '...we need to replace...', 'We need to install smart meters into all of our customers homes...' & 'We're installing your meters in accordance with the Smart installation code of practice...'. All of which push towards the thought that you have to have a new meter installed, but that's just my reading of the wording.

Hello Midnighter and, as nicobrum says, it could be your meter is nearing the end of its guaranteed shelf life.

Electricity meters are designed to last between 10 and 30 years and gas meters between 5 and 15 years. When meters reach the end of their lifespan we’ll be in touch to ask you to contact us to book an appointment for a technician to visit and exchange the meter. This is called a meter re-certification for electricity and a policy exchange for gas.

If you’re eligible to have smart meters fitted, we’ll offer to put these in. This offer can be turned down. To confirm my earlier posts, smart meters are optional and you can refuse any offer to have them. If you decide smart meters aren’t for you, we’ll book an appointment to fit a classic/traditional meter instead.

Should your meter be at the end of its certified lifespan and to make sure it continues to work properly, it’s important you allow our technicians to replace it. There’s no charge to do this.

Hope this explains Midnighter but, if it's not a meter recertification, please ignore my post.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • [Deleted User]
    Forumite

Electricity meters are designed to last between 10 and 30 years and gas meters between 5 and 15 years.

Malc

Not be personally but I know of a gas meter that is way older than 15 years, it even has a sticker with 1989 as the installation date on! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure