PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm’s Thread 2018

Comments

• Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Charly27 wrote: »
    Now reading ‘The Light Years’ by Elizabeth-Jane Howard. It’s the first in the Cazalet family chronicles so I may get hooked.

I really enjoyed these, it's definitely worth sticking with them as they're such a good series. The newest paperback editions have such lovely covers too :)
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    edited 3 March 2018 at 7:45PM
    I was reading The Service of Clouds by Susan Hill but I finally gave up reading it, when I realised that I was reading newspapers every day instead of getting on with reading this book. It was just not my cup of tea :o

I just finished a thriller called Somebody Else by Reggie Nadelson which I really enjoyed. I had a very late night of reading until the early hours, as I really wanted to find out who was the murderer. This book was a 9.5/10 for me :D
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    I finished reading The Booby Trap & Other Bits and Bobs by various authors and it was edited by Dawn O’Porter. It is a humourous look at why well known creative people mostly female but some male feel about women's breasts. It is a book to raise funds for the 3 Breast Cancer charities. It was published a few years ago, but I bought my copy recently in a Poundland shop. A lighthearted book for 3 very worthy causes. I would give this book 9/10 as it made me laugh out loud a lot :D
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Someone mentioned Elly Griffiths' books a while ago. Just read The Chalk Pit in the plane on the way over to the UsA.

Good, gripping stuff. Dr. Ruth Galloway is an archaeologist who gets drawn into an unlikely number of police investigations, but I have read three now and they are good page turners.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Someone mentioned Elly Griffiths' books a while ago. Just read The Chalk Pit in the plane on the way over to the UsA.

Good, gripping stuff. Dr. Ruth Galloway is an archaeologist who gets drawn into an unlikely number of police investigations, but I have read three now and they are good page turners.

I think that was me as I really like her books and I love the characters. There hasn't been a bad book in the series.:)
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I am well into a new Jeffrey Deaver - Burial Hour.

Very unusually, Rhyme and co go to Naples.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Hobsons_Choice
    Hobsons_Choice Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    pollypenny wrote: »
    I am well into a new Jeffrey Deaver - Burial Hour.

Very unusually, Rhyme and co go to Naples.

Loved that book! Mind, I have read every Jeffrey Deaver book and have been rarely disappointed.
    Normal people worry me.
  • Charly27
    Charly27 Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Callie22 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed these, it's definitely worth sticking with them as they're such a good series. The newest paperback editions have such lovely covers too :)

Finished ‘the Light Years’ and reserved ‘Marking Time’ at the library. Hope I don’t have to wait too long as I’m still engaged with the characters. I agree about the covers so pretty.
    ‘One of our greatest freedoms is how we react to things’ said Mole.Cross stitch cafe WIP ‘The Best is yet to come’ Emma Congham & ‘A Year in the Life of’ HSC. TaDa Welcome
  • Charly27
    Charly27 Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Just finished ‘This House is Haunted’ by John Boyne :eek:. He wrote ‘The Boy in Striped Pyjamas’. It was the first ghost story I’ve read in years and actually I loved it. Set in 1867 and in London and Norfolk I really liked the main character Eliza and wanted to keep turning the pages. I’d give this 9/10. Also finished “The Spring House” by Alison May on my Kindle app. I love Alison May’s books about the seasons- it’s her suggestions from The Winter House that I’ve just completed. I think I’ll wait until later in the year to read the titles I couldn’t easily get hold of.
    ‘One of our greatest freedoms is how we react to things’ said Mole.Cross stitch cafe WIP ‘The Best is yet to come’ Emma Congham & ‘A Year in the Life of’ HSC. TaDa Welcome
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I'm going to be waiting in for some workmen today, hopefully! I am charging my kindle as I speak.

I have about 19 books lined up on my kindle as I got a lot of free ones with Amazon Prime.

Today I should read:

Life Beyond Fibromyalgia - Elaine Merryfield, then

Strange Magic
    - Syd Moore.

I think the first one is quite short and I read quickly.

I might sit in the garden as it looks quite nice and warm out there.
    Charly27 wrote: »
    Just finished ‘This House is Haunted’ by John Boyne :eek:.

Oh, I remember that I loved that too. I love a good ghost story!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure