Scrapping a car

Mr_Bun
Mr_Bun Posts: 339 Forumite
My wife's car is about to die,so have decided to scrap it!!!
Any recommendations on scrapyards/dealers who can do this?
Do they collect or do I take it to them? Are they all just pretty much the same regarding how much I will get? Do they take care of the paperwork? Has anyone else done this recently and has any advice they can give?
TIA 🙂

Comments

• RikM
    RikM Posts: 811 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Scrapping is a kind of sale, so the paperwork is about the same as usual.The dealer doesn't have to scrap it, if they think it is fixable/saleable. Just because you think it's scrap, doesn't mean they will.

In the past I've dropped off cars, and had them collected. I've got some money back or nothing (haven't had to pay to have it removed, but that is always a possibility).
    Nothing too recent, however. The last one was 4 or 5 years ago.
  • waltsalt
    waltsalt Posts: 271 Forumite
    You can get a quote for scrapping your car on this website: http://www.cartakeback.com/

They have local yards available.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The likes of clearways will take it but the value of scrap is way down on what it was, so you're likely to only get a few ££ for it.

Whats the make / model / year? whats wrong with it that you're going to scrap it?
  • Mr_Bun
    It's a 2004 Vauxhall Vectra 2.2dti SXI and it has 123,000 miles on it.
    There is only a months MOT left.
    It has been serviced regularly from new with all receipts,etc, but at the minute it needs a new drivers seat,new switches for the electric windows and mirrors,the cruise control doesn't work and there is a warning light on for the engine management system(there is a fault with the cooling fan),a strip is missing from the roof rails and there is a small dent in the front wing!!!
    It might go through MOT,but to fix all the other faults would cost more than it's worth.
    I think scrapping is my only option...
  • DavidT67
    DavidT67 Posts: 389 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This website worth a look as well.

https://www.sellyourjamjar.co.uk/scrap-my-car/
  • motorguy
    Mr_Bun wrote: »
    It's a 2004 Vauxhall Vectra 2.2dti SXI and it has 123,000 miles on it.
    There is only a months MOT left.
    It has been serviced regularly from new with all receipts,etc, but at the minute it needs a new drivers seat,new switches for the electric windows and mirrors,the cruise control doesn't work and there is a warning light on for the engine management system(there is a fault with the cooling fan),a strip is missing from the roof rails and there is a small dent in the front wing!!!
    It might go through MOT,but to fix all the other faults would cost more than it's worth.
    I think scrapping is my only option...

Scrapping it could get you something like £50

I'd be sticking it on gumtree listing the faults. You'd be surprised how much demand there'd be for something like that.

OR you could stick it on ebay with a 99p starting price and see what it makes. List all the faults and post plenty of pics.

I'd put "spares or repair" in the title of the ad too.
  • Mr_Bun
    Was actually thinking about Gumtree,might give it a try there first and see what happens.Thanks for the help��
  • Mrs_Mac_1
    Mrs_Mac_1 Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Would you not consider trading it in?
  • motorguy
    Mrs_Mac_1 wrote: »
    Would you not consider trading it in?

If you're otherwise going to buy from a dealer then yes, its a way of getting "something" for it, however in reality
    • It restricts you to buying your next car from a dealer (ok if you planned to anyway)
    • The dealer will want to stock it at £0 or as close to it as possible, so he'll use the discount you might otherwise get to hide the fact hes doing that.
  • motorguy
    edited 14 March 2017 at 9:11PM
    Mr_Bun wrote: »
    Was actually thinking about Gumtree,might give it a try there first and see what happens.Thanks for the help��

Be prepared for a lot of "whats the least you'll take m8" type messages and people trying to knock your price back even further, but its definitely going to yield you more money than scrapping it.

Another tip is google the phone number of the person coming out to see it. A lot of the time you'll find they're small time traders looking for cheap stock to fix up and resell. Every £ they chip you back is an extra £ in their pocket and they'll only come out if its already cheap so dont be giving the car away based on a sob story or someone telling you they're "doing you a favour by taking it off your hands".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure