A Ditherer's Diary (again)

Options

Comments

• GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Naomim wrote: »
    Hello diary,

I'm sitting at my desk eating my home made egg mayonnaise sandwiches and stinking out the office :T

Today I have cancelled Amazon Prime. I usually sign up for the free month in the run up to Christmas then cancel. This time I didn't cancel as our SKY was broken so it gave us something to watch and MrM was interested in seeing the "Road Trip" . I overheard someone at work talking today about the student discount for Amazon Prime which reminded me I needed to cancel. This month's payment had "just" come out so I've cancelled and getting this month refunded. :money:

MrM's car is in the garage. It failed it's MOT due to the airbag light being on. They have to investigate where and what the fault is. It's been in for 2 days so I can see this being something expensive that we can't really afford :( The worst thing is my airbag light is also on so likely to be an expensive fix too. :(

It never rains but it pours.

Naomi

Sorry to hear about the MOT. We've got to get ours done this month too, I think it should be ok but you never know.

Amazon Prime is really expensive, glad that you managed to cancel it speedily enough to get the money back. I've been caught out in the past by not cancelling things in time (last culprit was Taste card ... impossible to get any money back from them too :mad: ).

Enjoy your sandwiches :)
  • Naomim
    Naomim Posts: 3,117 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So the car will be about £1k to fix. It's not worth that but it has no MOT so shouldn't be driven really. I'm so depressed, we really don't have the money to spend on a new car. We do have two cars but it's not practical to get rid of one and not replace it. The only way we will probably be able to get one is to use the credit card which again isn't debt busting. We may be able to get a loan but we only just extended the mortgage to pay to put right all the stuff the builder did so I don't really want to apply right now. We want to sue the builder but that's also going to cost with no guarantee of getting anything back.
    Credit Cards NOV 2019 £33,220.42 Sept 2023 £19,951.00 Tilly Tidy 20223/COLOR] Sept £43.71 Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • armchairexpert
    armchairexpert Posts: 822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 March 2017 at 1:39AM
    Options
    Oh no! Can you survive with one car just temporarily while you get back on your feet? I do sympathise, what a lot of things to go wrong at once. It always seems to be the way when one starts trying to get a handle on the finances, for some reason.

With YNAB - I think starting from the last pay packet and deducting the things that have come out since that date makes sense.

The other option is to literally start from the day you're on: you record whatever's remaining in your bank account as existing income and just allocate that, ignoring anything that's been paid this month so far. You might not get to the next pay without going into the red this time, but hopefully you will over time. That's what I did, which meant the first month told me nothing useful in terms of reporting (because some bills had come out pre-YNAB and were therefore invisible) but it did mean I ended that month at zero and when the next pay came in it got a lot simpler.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • Naomim
    Options
    Oh no! Can you survive with one car just temporarily while you get back on your feet? I do sympathise, what a lot of things to go wrong at once. It always seems to be the way when one starts trying to get a handle on the finances, for some reason.

With YNAB - I think starting from the last pay packet and deducting the things that have come out since that date makes sense.

The other option is to literally start from the day you're on: you record whatever's remaining in your bank account as existing income and just allocate that, ignoring anything that's been paid this month so far. You might not get to the next pay without going into the red this time, but hopefully you will over time. That's what I did, which meant the first month told me nothing useful in terms of reporting (because some bills had come out pre-YNAB and were therefore invisible) but it did mean I ended that month at zero and when the next pay came in it got a lot simpler.

Afternoon,

What Iv'e done is started as if 1st March was Mr Mr'M's payday and taken out anything that has come out since he was paid. We still seem to be overbudgeting so I need to look at this. I have a lot of stuff in red! :(

I've decided I HAVE to look for a new job. I work 4 days a week and asked for full time and they said no a few months ago. I was quite relieved as I don't really want to work full time but I can't keep on worrying about finances and how to pay for something. I've applied for one nearer to home and seen one I really like the look of but it's in Central London. MrM works in Central London and if I work there too it would cause problems with childcare. At the moment I get home at 5pm so 11yo has hour or so on his own and 7yo is at Grandparents until then. They aren't happy about the idea of me maybe not getting there until after 6pm and I'm wondering about how I will feed and get them into bed at a decent time if I'm home much later. :question:

I've just signed up for an online course to help broaden my skills which should help on my CV so fingers crossed I'll be earning loads and busting those debts soon. :D

Naomi
    Credit Cards NOV 2019 £33,220.42 Sept 2023 £19,951.00 Tilly Tidy 20223/COLOR] Sept £43.71 Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • Naomim
    Options
    Good Evening diary,

All I seem to think about is money. MrM moans at me for being so forgetful (I have a terrible memory) but I think most of my brain capacity is taken up with money, lack of it, how to get more. And now thinking about getting another job.

I've been looking at jobs in my current role. I'm a credit controller - (the irony) and whilst there are jobs out there, from looking at the descriptions of what they expect I have definitely had it easy and been coasting the last few years. This then makes me panic and think; if I change jobs will I be able to do as expected? The online course I signed up for is a MS Excel one. I use Excel everyday but only on a basic level. With the course though I can get an NUS card which will lead to discounts at quite a few places :j I have found out that through 11yo's school website we can download a free copy of MS Office 365 which is great as the laptop didn't come with it an it's not cheap. It's downloading as I type.

We have decided we are going to have to bite the bullet and get MrM another car. He's been out and looked at a place near us that does "bargain buys" so hopefully we can pick up a pre-loved car for not too much.

On a positive note, I budgeted £450 for my monthly shopping but when I added it all up today - I got from my payday 15th-15th, it came it £353 this month. That can hopefully change some of those red figures in YNAB to green! Also had the council tax notice in today. I guessed it would be £170 a month but it's £174.

Nothing much else to report so I'm going to check out get 11yo into his bed because he conveniently "forgets" the time. By the time he's been to the loo, had a drink, brushed teeth and stroked the dog it's another half hour :(

Naomi x
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When money is a problem it does tend to dominate our thoughts rather, doesn't it!

I totally identify with the dodgy memory thing too - I'm another sufferer on that front. One thing I've found has really helped is using a notebook, similar principle to the "Bullet Journal" idea but mine doesn't follow the rules, exactly...means I keep everything in one place and really helps to job my mind about stuff I should be doing. (it's not exactly 100% foolproof - I WAS putting my Dad's birthday card through the door at 8am today... :o but it definitely helps)
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Naomim
    Options
    When money is a problem it does tend to dominate our thoughts rather, doesn't it!

I totally identify with the dodgy memory thing too - I'm another sufferer on that front. One thing I've found has really helped is using a notebook, similar principle to the "Bullet Journal" idea but mine doesn't follow the rules, exactly...means I keep everything in one place and really helps to job my mind about stuff I should be doing. (it's not exactly 100% foolproof - I WAS putting my Dad's birthday card through the door at 8am today... :o but it definitely helps)

If it's not money then it's job hunting I'm thinking about. There's no room for anything else. I find using the notes section on my phone helps. I can add photos & make lists, even cross things off as they are done. If only I could remember where I put the phone! :rotfl:

Naomi
  • Naomim
    Options
    I had a bad weekend. I'm feeling stressed and do what I normally do, stuck my head in the sand and spent money. In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't much but I just don't have it to spend. A couple of t-shirts for the kids, a couple of coffee's whilst out and about, a pokemon trading game for 7year old and some trousers for me to wear to job interviews coming up. (I work in a relaxed office where jeans and t-shirts are the norm)

I probably spent about £60 or so but I'm so annoyed with myself for doing it.
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Hope things are going well with you Naomi :) xx
  • Naomim
    Options
    Thanks for bearing with me Georgiana. Things are horrible,and tough and I'm so unhappy. Financially we are in a terrible state. We are right upto our overdraft limit and I'm scared that if I go to use the bank card it'll be declined.

We went to a solicitors to get a letter sent to our builder to try and get some money back. We then got a bill from the solicitor for £750!! MrM was fuming. We don't often fall out but he didn't talk to me all weekend. This hasn't happened since before the kids were born, we've always talked things through. Then MrM went out, got lost looking for a builders merchants and got caught on a camera in a bus lane in the same place 3 times!!!! So that was £195 in fines. .

The builders were supposed to reply to the solicitors today so we'll see where we are in a couple of days time.If they don't we can take them to court but then the fees are 5% of your claim and for us that would be £1,500. We just don't have it. We're stuck in a catch 22.

I've applied for lots of jobs but not had any interviews apart from one today. It's a job I really want but it's so hard to tell how the interview went. The hours are standard 9-5.30, as I mentioned before, my MIL isn't happy about the idea of me not getting there until after 6pm.

I just feel everything is just s**t at the moment. I'm trying to stay happy for the kids but it's so hard.

One thing I did was be direct with MrM about our incomings and outgoings. I worked out our outgoings were £10 more than our incomings a month. He was spending the best part of £300 a month on cigarettes so he's stopped. He's been vaping this week so I hope this will be a lot cheaper than the cigarettes and eventually lead to him not needing anything to rely on.

We have some money in a savings account but this is the extra mortgage we borrowed to get the house finished. It's an on-going project so money is coming out of it in dribs and drabs. I was thinking of changing bank accounts so we start with a clean slate and treat the overdraft as a debt, however I'm worried about two things. 1) if we change accounts, will our current bank account take the money from the savings to clear the overdraft as there will be no salaries coming in to it. 2) will they up the interest rate on the overdraft?

Sorry this is so garbled.. just trying to get my head around everything. As usual I've been ignoring it all but I know I'm far happier when I feel in control which I certainly don't at the moment.

N x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback