Urgent Help Required Boiler Fitter

Comments

• Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,420
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Clearly you're not a plumber/central heating engineer. "Most" competent installers will not powerflush as a matter of course, what they will do is see if it's necessary or indeed appropriate to do so. One of the quickest ways to burst and destroy old CH pipework is to power flush when the existing system can't handle it. In particular when there is alternative methods to clean out the system.

Also, to your 2nd point. The installer is a plumber/heating engineer not an electrician. Whilst he can clearly see there's an electrical issue, he's unlikely to be skilled and more importantly qualified to rectify it.

It's a bit rich accusing others of not understanding something when you clearly have next to no knowledge yourself.

You obviously know very little yourself, most installers powerflush because it can be done in a day and it will have a greater success than time consuming chemical methods. It should also be done before the installation and does not require a working boiler. Any faults in the pipework will need to be repaired. The boiler guarantee will be voided if dirt gets into the boiler.

From what the OP said the installer only thought it was an electrical fault, he should know for sure.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 17 October 2016 at 2:35PM
    I was wondering if, neilmcl or Zandoni are either of you gas engineers because you obviously have different views on the need for a system power flush.

Thanks
    The system requires cleaning, full stop. Any competent installer worth their salt, and no I'm not a a gas engineer but I know plenty, will check whether it's appropriate for the existing system and pipework that a powerflush can be used. There are other methods, such as mains flushing or gravity flushing that can be employed if the pipework is not up to a powerflush, and these will take longer (although all can be done with a day) but I'd expect a decent installer to be expert enough to at least consider the options and make the customer aware.

Clearly a powerflush was OK and suitable for your system.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The issue is probably this-the fitter wasn't expecting the boiler to fail, now he has other jobs booked in that he's completing. He now hasn't got a window of time to carry this out, plus he's got to get it to correspond with an electrician . He's probably feeling stressed at how's he's going to sort this out. A little understanding might help the situation.
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,420
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    hollydays wrote: »
    The issue is probably this-the fitter wasn't expecting the boiler to fail, now he has other jobs booked in that he's completing. He now hasn't got a window of time to carry this out, plus he's got to get it to correspond with an electrician . He's probably feeling stressed at how's he's going to sort this out. A little understanding might help the situation.

That's probably the case but he should keep the OP properly informed.
  • hollydays
    Forumite
    edited 17 October 2016 at 5:26PM
    Zandoni wrote: »
    That's probably the case but he should keep the OP properly informed.

Agreed, the op needs to have a conversation with him and say " what's going on here" .I don't see the justification at this point in wanting someone else to do the job ( and getting legal advice? ) Is there something she's not telling us?)
    I've had this kind of thing happen with tradesmen, it happens. Overreacting won't help solve the ops problem, she needs to manage him.

The op did post the thread below a while ago , actually she's asked this question twice with no responses, hence some questions I asked earlier about how she found the tradesman etc(which weren't responded to)
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5396878
    If it's this company she needs to say so, the website is dire.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    OP, you still haven't told us what your legal advice has been?
  • holldays, no there's nothing she is not is telling you. This implies that I'm lying about some facts and I'm not. The other thread you were referring was in connection with a company offering free boilers for people on certain benefits which does not included me. I had 3 quotes from different companies, non from the one mentioned in the previous thread. All quotes were from engineers registered on the Gas Safe site, if this answers your question. The company I chose also offer 24 hour emergency call out, not much chance of this happening if they can't be bothered to answer the phone during the daytime. You can't manage a person won't answer the phone. We are not all liars and cheats on this site. I don't often post on here but I have found some good advice from people who are genuinely knowledgeable, kind, helpful and non criticizing. Yes, I have taken legal advise and that's my choice, after all I do pay for it. If, I want to contact Gas Safe for advice I can also do that as well, they have the authority to check an engineers professional competence. They actually encourage people to report unprofessional standards of working practise.
    Perhaps you will think of me sitting in the cold with no hot water tonight.

Many thanks to the helpful posters
  • hollydays
    Forumite
    edited 17 October 2016 at 6:40PM
    I certainly wasn't implying you were lying, but as you didn't respond to some questions, I thought it possible you were keeping something back.
    I was more concerned you had got involved with something hence Why I suggested you paid by credit card in case you hadn't thoroughly researched the company!
    Sheesh!
    You need to hire some calor gas heater maybe from a hire company and knock that amount off the final bill, and leave him a message telling him that's what your doing and the price.
  • neilmcl, Legal advise, agreed with me, said if the engineer could not complete electrical work himself, he should never have attempted to so. The electrical work must be completed by qualified electrician. To make a complaint in writing to the engineer and ask for a completion date. On average a straight boiler swap should take no more than one full day unless there are complications with the boiler. This is what the engineer stated during the prior inspection and quote. Have been old not to pay for anything until the work is completed to a safe, satisfactory working condition. Even said I should consider asking for compensation for the time wasted waiting for engineer, who was incapable of completing electrical work and failure to attend agreed appointment on Sunday.

Thanks
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    neilmcl, Legal advise, agreed with me, said if the engineer could not complete electrical work himself, he should never have attempted to so. The electrical work must be completed by qualified electrician. To make a complaint in writing to the engineer and ask for a completion date. On average a straight boiler swap should take no more than one full day unless there are complications with the boiler. This is what the engineer stated during the prior inspection and quote. Have been old not to pay for anything until the work is completed to a safe, satisfactory working condition. Even said I should consider asking for compensation for the time wasted waiting for engineer, who was incapable of completing electrical work and failure to attend agreed appointment on Sunday.

Thanks

That didn't take long to come up.

How will you quantify your losses?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills