Real life MMD: Cat has licked our food, should we eat it?

Please give this MoneySaver the benefit of your advice...
Cat has licked our food, should we eat it?
I slow cooked a lovely joint of lamb for 3 hours as a Sunday treat. I left it on the side to cool but while I had my back turned, the cat licked it. The lamb cost me £20 and feel it would be a waste to throw it away, but my other half won't eat it.

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    If the cat licked it and then didn't eat it, the meat is off. Bin it and give the puss some fresh Kit-e-Kat
  • bluebeary
    bluebeary Posts: 7,904 Forumite
    scotsbob wrote: »
    If the cat licked it and then didn't eat it, the meat is off. Bin it and give the puss some fresh Kit-e-Kat

are you mad ?

what percentage of meat is in kit e kat anyway, do they still make it ?

i wouldnt touch most of the well known brands with a barge pole, feline fayre or hi life only, its all about meat percentage and wether its a complete cat food or not

but more seriously, cats are meticulously clean animals, i would use your own judgement and not leave food out for cat to lick in future, also, dont let the cat on the work tops anyway ?

my cat knows his not allowed on the work tops, you need to show the cat whos boss basically
  • The cat has only licked the exposed sides of the meat. If you trimmed away a thin slice all round, then the meat below would be absolutely uncontaminated. But if your cat is regularly treated for worms (as it should be for the animal's own wellbeing) then you should have little to worry about.:j
  • Cat has licked our food, should we eat it?

No, I would never eat the cat.
  • Creosote wrote: »
    [/CENTER]

No, I would never eat the cat.

Very good advice there, there is very little nutritional value in feline meat.

As for the lamb, make sure that you cut your pieces from the inner area of the meat that cant have been touched and it will be fine. Then make sure you dont leave meat out where the animal can reach it.

Cat care 101 surely?!
  • Why does anyone ever let a cat in the kitchen. Have seen this on progs like Come Dine With Me. Minging!
  • There's more germs in a humans mouth than a cats, so the cat should worry if you licked the meat and then offered it to him!!!! Don't know what the fuss is about, just eat the meat, cat germs are not that bad!
  • bogwart
    bogwart Posts: 117 Forumite
    No problem. Chuck the lamb, then cook the cat.
  • bluebeary wrote: »
    are you mad ?
    my cat knows his not allowed on the work tops, you need to show the cat whos boss basically

We show our cat everyday who's boss with regards to jumping on the kitchen worktop, unfortunately the second you go out of the door she's back up there again!

Unfortunately with cats there's only one answer to the issue of who's boss - and it's the cats!
  • In answer to the q, let OH go without and eat the lovely lamb yourself. Trim the edges off if the thought of the cat licking the meat makes you squeamish, though surely there can't be that much harm in cat saliva, I'd guess the problem is more in instinctive human aversions to animal saliva than an actual health danger.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure