Do any online banks show pending payments?

2»

Comments

• BruceyBonus
    BruceyBonus Posts: 1,142
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Today when I was in Tesco, the self-scan didn't print a receipt. The girl checked the machine and said it ran out of paper - as someone had used it after me, she would have to get her manager to go upstairs and print a receipt from the computer system. I declined this as I wanted to get going. Having my available balance decrease was very useful as it enabled me to keep a record of the amount.
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    My Natwest Step account shows everything immediately online. Not though who I spent it with, just an overview of a POS point of sale or ATM transaction - the companys names are shown a few days later.
  • skylight wrote: »
    My Natwest Step account shows everything immediately online. Not though who I spent it with, just an overview of a POS point of sale or ATM transaction - the companys names are shown a few days later.

So anytime you use your debit card it shows up immediately online? They told me it would only show up after it was no longer pending. But when was the last time a helpdesk person was helpful?
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    No - mine appear virtually immediately. Regardless of a spend online or at a store. It stays there, but occassionally goes missing and then re-appears later. I think that it disappears if the company do not process the transaction fast enough. And it appears straight away on OHs Natwest Step account too.

Its why I use it over my co-op account as those take days to appear.
  • The only reason we're with the co-op is for the ethical policies, but I've just had a look on the ethical consumer website, and the co-op actually rated really low! It said it was something to do with the activities of their supermarkets, but that doesn't really make sense, because they're tied with M&S as most ethical supermarket. Anyone have some insight on that?
  • The_Pedant
    The_Pedant Posts: 634 Forumite
    This is something that has always frustrated me. On my online banking, the differing balances showing in a coulpe of places do, kind of hint about pending transactions.

My question though, is why can't they list these separately?:confused:

- They know the total amounts pending, as that is clear from the different balances
    - They therefore know the amount of the individual transactions
    - They know they are pending

So what's the problem with them doing it?

Imagine, at the top of your transaction list

14/03 Current balance . . . . . . . .£88.76

14/03 Pending transaction . £10.00 . £88.76
    14/03 Pending transaction . £1.24 . .£98.76
    13/03 Cleared balance . . . . . . . £100.00
    13/03 Quickie mart . . . . .£7.23 . £100.00
    12/03 Amazon.com . . . . . .£12.77 .£107.23
    10/03 Starting balance. . . . . . . £120.00

Even if it doesn't show the name, and on the understanding that these may only be pre-authorised amounts; it will at least allow people to gain an understanding of what transactions are outstanding or to spark that recall that the £50 you thought you were missing was mostly just your petrol fill up on the way home yesterday.

I dunno ... maybe they like keeping people in the dark?
  • Nigella_2
    Nigella_2 Posts: 355 Forumite
    It is odd but banks work oddly. Co-Op shows daily credits/debits after midnight but not pending payments where some do. ??? !!!

Some Atm's will show balance and available balance to the penny.

Natwest/RBS just shows the amount avail from an ATM.

You could ring them up too.
  • Rustvaar
    Rustvaar Posts: 81 Forumite
    Reply relates to posts above (#8 and #11); If I don't get a receipt I ask for one, what's an extra fifteen seconds onto the time of a shop? (If anyone actually has a reply to this clearly rhetorical question then I suggest you loosen the necktie and stop quaffing Starbuck's, Mr. Busybody Executive)

If I don't or can't get a receipt I key any expenses into my phone while I walk down the road as if it were a text. Save it as a draft - with a little hint as to where it was spent. At the end of the day I just key the details to a very basic spreadsheet - means that I know where absolutely everything has gone and there's no confusion.

If your life is too busy for the above, and you're still wanting to keep track of spending, then I suggest you try to make time - it's really not difficult. Took me about two weeks to get into the swing of it now it's just second nature to buy something and memorise the cost or store it on the phone. Pen and paper works just fine too.
    [strike]Debt: £0.00[/strike]
    Savings: £2,600.00
    Latest Bi-Weekly Grocery Fiasco:
    £55.87 (£10.02)
  • Rustvaar wrote: »
    Reply relates to posts above (#8 and #11); If I don't get a receipt I ask for one, what's an extra fifteen seconds onto the time of a shop? (If anyone actually has a reply to this clearly rhetorical question then I suggest you loosen the necktie and stop quaffing Starbuck's, Mr. Busybody Executive)

If I don't or can't get a receipt I key any expenses into my phone while I walk down the road as if it were a text. Save it as a draft - with a little hint as to where it was spent. At the end of the day I just key the details to a very basic spreadsheet - means that I know where absolutely everything has gone and there's no confusion.

If your life is too busy for the above, and you're still wanting to keep track of spending, then I suggest you try to make time - it's really not difficult. Took me about two weeks to get into the swing of it now it's just second nature to buy something and memorise the cost or store it on the phone. Pen and paper works just fine too.

Neither my husband or myself is anywhere near that organised, nor do either of us have that good of a memory, that's why it would be easier for us to be able to see our exact balance whenever we want. It might be lazy, but having a bank account is kind lazy in itself.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Clydesdale (Yorkshire) bank shows Maestro usage straight away.
    e.g. if you spent £25 in Tesco's, it will show as debit card authorisation for £25 like a standard statement entry online, which will be replaced for a actual debit or drop off after a week. Is this more what your looking for?

The basic account with a Maestro card is card called Readycash
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport