My Hubby hid his debt from me for 18 months!

Comments

• pjcox2005
    pjcox2005 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I know it's easy to read tone into text that isn't there, and you've done a great job getting it all organised and a plan in place, but I'd suggest trying your best to accept it and not beat your husband up about it any further.

As others have said, you see a lot of messages where people have got themselves in a hole and don't know how to tell their other half so takes courage to do that.

The other part I notice is a lot of "his" minimal savings, "his" debt etc. I know he didn't share the issue with you (and I certainly wouldn't lend a friend £4k from credit without consulting my wife first so feel your pain there), and you may keep finances completely separate, but I think there should be an acceptance that the spending is a joint issue. The car, holidays etc would be a stretch on £30k salary.

Apologies if that sounds rude or blunt, but I think adopting that mind set would be healthier than just blaming him and in moments when frustrations are higher raising it again down the line.
  • Freckles
    Freckles Posts: 28 Forumite
    pjcox2005 wrote: »
    The other part I notice is a lot of "his" minimal savings, "his" debt etc. I know he didn't share the issue with you (and I certainly wouldn't lend a friend £4k from credit without consulting my wife first so feel your pain there), and you may keep finances completely separate, but I think there should be an acceptance that the spending is a joint issue. The car, holidays etc would be a stretch on £30k salary.

Apologies if that sounds rude or blunt, but I think adopting that mind set would be healthier than just blaming him and in moments when frustrations are higher raising it again down the line.

Not at all, I haven't included the car in the debt, that's my debt as I chose to go ahead with buying it but I would have put the money towards the money he's racked up and stuck with my old car. I will also add half of the cost was part exing my car, and another couple of grand was inheritance I just received.

I manage my money very, very well and I must admit I slipped up when, as I said, in the past, when he'd plan things and I couldn't afford them we wouldn't do them but I'd noticed he'd been saying he'd cover it but I didn't question it.
    I should have questioned it, I won't go into it but there were an awful lot of personal issues going on with me last year and it was easier to let him take charge. So yes I am to blame in a way here but I never said I wasn't.

And I am not beating him up about it, it's done and dusted, we've both learnt from it and we are both now heading towards getting this sorted and not letting it happen again.

I am currently sitting in the airport waiting for our flight home so I will update everyone on the holiday and money saving we managed whilst away :)
    What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?

Paid off £22,528.09 debt since Jan 18, and counting. Still got 18 months to go :T
  • pjcox2005
    pjcox2005 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Freckles wrote: »
    Not at all, I haven't included the car in the debt, that's my debt as I chose to go ahead with buying it but I would have put the money towards the money he's racked up and stuck with my old car. I will also add half of the cost was part exing my car, and another couple of grand was inheritance I just received.

I manage my money very, very well and I must admit I slipped up when, as I said, in the past, when he'd plan things and I couldn't afford them we wouldn't do them but I'd noticed he'd been saying he'd cover it but I didn't question it.
    I should have questioned it, I won't go into it but there were an awful lot of personal issues going on with me last year and it was easier to let him take charge. So yes I am to blame in a way here but I never said I wasn't.

And I am not beating him up about it, it's done and dusted, we've both learnt from it and we are both now heading towards getting this sorted and not letting it happen again.

I am currently sitting in the airport waiting for our flight home so I will update everyone on the holiday and money saving we managed whilst away :)

Sounds pretty reasonable, hope you had a great holiday.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Yes hope you both had a lovely time. Looking forward to your update!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Freckles
    edited 26 April 2018 at 12:41PM
    Warning, long post......again

OK, so I have finally managed to get back on here, I know it's been a few weeks since I have been back so here goes.

The Holiday - well where do I start? We had an amazing time, probably one of the best we have ever had. No arguments, bickering, b1tching or falling out. We kept to our budget and everything spent has now been paid off the holiday credit card so it is once again empty.

When we travelled about (and didn't have a car) we either walked, got an Uber or a Lyft. We set up new accounts with both Uber and Lyft and picked up vouchers for $20 of free rides on both so with both of us that's $80 of free rides which actually goes a long way.
    With regards to walking, we did over 100 miles in the two weeks we were away so we most definitely made use of our legs!!
    On that note, I found a website that you can download your own walking tours, it gives you all of the information for each location on the stop and you get to do it at your own pace. It was great for New Orleans and Miami, I have used it for other holidays too and I will definitely be using it again.

As previously mentioned, our hotels were mainly booked using points and we never went over the $35 a night limit we set and still stayed in some nice hotels. These were all pre-paid so we got a cheaper rate as we knew we weren't going to be cancelling them. We made sure we'd paid these off before we went too.

Now food, we were quite clever when it came to this. Regardless of the meal you have, they tend to be pretty big meals so we would either share (normally breakfast for sharing) or we would take it away with us and get a second meal out of it the following day. A couple of our hotels had small kitchens in so we would also buy what we needed and eat in the hotel.
    We also made use of vouchers in the travel guides or that were being handed out (mainly in Vegas). Most of them were for places we would normally eat too which worked out well.

With regards to car hire, we had two over the stay, we again went for cheap and had pre-booked them so got a good deal. We also bought the full insurance ourselves instead of getting stung by the company. Thanks to this very site I will add. On top of this, we looked into the cost of filling up before handing it back or paying for the company to do it. In Miami, it was cheaper to pay Sixt to fill up as with the price of fuel at the fuel stations by the airport it would have cost us $20 more to fill the tank up!
    I will add with this be careful with car hire, we went in to pick our car up 30 mins early and they tried to charge us an extra days hire and the car wasn't even ready. We didn't pay it and they took it off the bill but we only saw this as we read the hire receipt the guy in Sixt didn't point that out to us. Luckily my hubby had recently gone through a process at work and had been told to look out for these charges when hiring a car for company travel so he was fully aware of what to look out for.

Another major bargain was a visit to Disney, this was towards the end of our stay and we decided to treat ourselves. We got two, day, tickets for a total of $100, on the gate they would have been $132 each. We wouldn't have gone if we had to pay that price.
    The reason we got them so cheap, we forfeited 90 mins of our day to go to timeshare sell, we made it clear from the start we weren't interested and the hard sell backed off massively. I did feel sorry for the guy as you could just see his enthusiasm dwindle but he still had to do his bit. We even had the option of a buffet breakfast but we'd already eaten so we didn't do that.
    So for 90 mins we got our tickets for $50 each and spent 10 magical hours in the magic kingdom. I am pretty sure if you ask hubby if it was magical he'd ask you if you meant horrendous instead, the poor boy really did not want to be there that long but he tagged along behind me jumping around like a 5-year-old.

When we got back I made a point of paying off half of our spends from that month's wages and the other half out of this months to spread it out a bit. We were really good and spent just over £800 during the two weeks away - that's car hire costs (fuel), food, drinks, clothes (needed a new pair of jeans as I ripped mine out there) Disney and anything else we hadn't already bought beforehand.
    I know that may seem a lot but it works out to £30 per day per person and I am pleased to say that it's fully paid off, 4 weeks after coming back.
    I will add I have also had a purge through the house and sold quite a few unwanted items which have helped pay off the holiday too. I sold £250 worth of unwanted items, some of them were prizes so brand new and never opened.

So now we are back we have been very frugal with our spending, takeaways have stopped and we have set aside an amount each week to be spent on food/household shopping and what isn't spent that week will roll over to the next week. If at the end of the month there is enough money left then that will go towards the debt to be paid off. We have discussed that if we are invited out we need to decide whether we go based on whether it is something we have to go to and then how much is left in that week's kitty.
    I know it is going to be tough but when I originally started working this out back in January it looked like it would take 3 years to clear, I can happily say that 4 months in I think it will be just over 2 years from now to clear it. As you can see from my signature we have paid of £5418.10, I didn't even think that was possible for us to achieve, lets hope it continues. Of course, that is if nothing major comes along that sets us back.
    Also, the £4k he'd lent to friends is now down to £1600 left to pay so that has also gone towards that amount paid off.

I know we have a lot of work to do to keep on top of all of it but I can say 'We've got this, we can do this' and know I mean it.

Paid off £22,528.09 debt since Jan 18, and counting. Still got 18 months to go :T
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Freckles wrote: »
    When I asked how bad the response I got was astounding, he said he had 5 or 6 credit cards and about £30k across them all :huh:

I don't look after his money but I do look after the credit cards, so he'd been doing this without my knowledge.

When it came down to it there were 7 credit cards and £36k :mad:
    He'd been paying off the minimum and they were mostly interest-free, so we had that saving grace, but he also admitted to taking money out of them to lend to friends in need - £4k :mad:

Hi, I'm sure I'm reading it wrong and I apologise in advance if I have but it's bugging me - how did you not notice £30K of debt on the cards if you look after them?
  • anna_1977
    anna_1977 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi, I'm sure I'm reading it wrong and I apologise in advance if I have but it's bugging me - how did you not notice £30K of debt on the cards if you look after them?

I read it as he's taken additional cards out that OP did not know about
  • Freckles

yep as per Anna_1977 says, he'd taken them out without me knowing so there was me keeping the ones we had under control and he was racking up more debt with new cards I had no idea existed. He got all the paperwork sent electronically so I wouldn't see statements etc coming through.

• Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Well done on your frugal holiday and also on the debt busting. How motivating that your debt free date will be sooner than you originally envisaged! Looking forward to hearing more.

If you don't mind me asking - what is the website you use for working out your holiday walks?
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Freckles
    Well done on your frugal holiday and also on the debt busting. How motivating that your debt free date will be sooner than you originally envisaged! Looking forward to hearing more.

If you don't mind me asking - what is the website you use for working out your holiday walks?

Thank you, we made it into a game as to who could find the best deals for the day too, made it fun. I actually think it brought us closer together too.

The website is https://freetoursbyfoot.com

You then select the city you want and walking tours and find the link to self guided tours. So for example New york walking tours are here https://freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours/tour-calendar/#tours

They are mainly American cities but they are great.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure