Phone given to a six year old?

Comments

• jamiesb
    jamiesb Posts: 18 Forumite
    I would set time limits on usage when your daughter is with you. Maybe see it as an opportunity to broach online safety and sensible behaviour with your daughter. Turn lemons into lemon juice ... or something to that effect
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Without a sim it's effectively an iPod. I don't see the issue. Load on some music and some apps, turn off in-app purchase, ensure that any new app purchases have to be approved, and let her get on with it.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My ex husband gave my daughter a phone when she was 6 too. It wasn't an iphone so no apps (at that time) she used it to keep in touch with either me or him on the weekends as we split weekend care between us.

It was great for her, she could call Daddy or Mummy to chat or say good morning or good night whenever she wanted, i don't see a problem, especially as in the OP's case there is no SIM either !

She's 18 now and her phone is attached to her hand 24/7. Not a lot you can do really apart from educate them about safe usage. It can be a useful tool for punishment sometimes ! I've taken my daughters phone away for a week before now, worked a treat !
  • NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    Why dont you take the phone off the child when you see her?
  • NineDeuce
    meer53 wrote: »
    My ex husband gave my daughter a phone when she was 6 too. It wasn't an iphone so no apps (at that time) she used it to keep in touch with either me or him on the weekends as we split weekend care between us.

It was great for her, she could call Daddy or Mummy to chat or say good morning or good night whenever she wanted, i don't see a problem, especially as in the OP's case there is no SIM either !

She's 18 now and her phone is attached to her hand 24/7. Not a lot you can do really apart from educate them about safe usage. It can be a useful tool for punishment sometimes ! I've taken my daughters phone away for a week before now, worked a treat !

What a complete oxymoron.

You cultured your daughter from the age of 6 into using a phone and now you say that there is nothing you can do about being on her phone 24/7?
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 9 August 2018 at 9:50AM
    Now she actually has it OP, if it is sim free and monitored, I cant see how you can remove it (without causing arguments and upsetting daughter). She wont be the only six year old with one

Really you and your ex need to have conversations about how you both wish to raise your daughter , and should have done before now, as this is like bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

For me, I wouldn't want a six year old to be introduced to the technology crazed world we live in these days, not at that age...whatever happened to kids playing with toys, dolls, prams, skates etc lol

if it really is just for games, surely an ipad or similar would be more suitable - maybe I am missing the point of a sim free phone

I am glad I had my childhood before all this come along
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    NineDeuce wrote: »
    What a complete oxymoron.

You cultured your daughter from the age of 6 into using a phone and now you say that there is nothing you can do about being on her phone 24/7?

To be fair, that seems pretty standard with young people these days, to be glued to the phones.
    Love it or hate it, it is the reality
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • NineDeuce
    ska_lover wrote: »
    To be fair, that seems pretty standard with young people these days, to be glued to the phones.
    Love it or hate it, it is the reality

Yes, if you give your kid a phone at 6 and grow them up to be dependent on a screen.

Otherwise, it isnt 'the reality'... How about teaching kids to enjoy other things? And if all you can say is 'nothing we can do', you are just lazy and cant admit it
  • The ex has got her that phone to wind you up.

Ridiculous giving an iPhone to a kid that young, but there are plenty of brainless parents out there who'd do the same, and there's not a lot you can do about it, sadly.

I'd just encourage her to do other activities so that the phone's not such an attractive option.
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
  • Thanks for all replies, my ex always knew my concerns with kids and tech too early, we have iPads at each home she can use to play games and make FaceTime calls as well.

There!!!8217;s no reason for her needing one yet (sim or not) and I don!!!8217;t want her staring at a tiny screen all the time either affecting her eyes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure