So much safer for cyclists to be allowed to go through red!

Options
"if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017

Comments

• brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have a view on this?
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    it wasnt a questiion but an exclamation!
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I agree with the basis they are using - you can only cycle through a red light when you will be 'hugging the kerb' i.e. turning right at a junction, or going straight on when at a t-junction (with no right turn). The former is very similar to the arrangement for cars in the US when you can turn right on a red light, providing that you give way to any other traffic and pedestrians - they actually have road signs to say when you cannot do this ("No right turn on red")
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Seems fair. It's not enforced much here anyway and the opposite would apply turning left on red or straight through at a T junction where you have zero chance of hitting any opposing traffic.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Bollotom
    Bollotom Posts: 957 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Trouble is you get to cycle through reds then at a rather complicated junction you go through a red and Splat!! you meet a vehicle crossing in front of you. The only way is to have totally segregated cycleways. It'd be expensive but you can't put a price on even one life. Then all roads become 'No cycles' like Mways. :cool:
  • agarnett
    agarnett Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    Options
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    Seems fair. It's not enforced much here anyway ...
    You are joking I think ... the City fathers don't like cyclists hurtling through the City of London so at one of their regular meetings, they instructed City of London Police to ticket those of us who sensibly, observantly and carefully moved off from the lights a second or two before the taxis snapping at our heels! Didn't want to discuss it on any discretionary basis. Question of numbers you see, for the next meeting report ;)

I was on a Boris Bike when I got stopped by a PC on a mountain bike (no blue lights or sirens - just a loud commanding voice) and was ticketed. I was given the option of paying the £30 or £60 fine (forget which) or attending a safety course in the courtyard of Wood Street nick - the course was almost entirely about silly people who squeeze up the inside of vehicles and then wonder (briefly we hope) why they got squished.

Anyway, I've still got the freebie City of London fluorescent cycle clips and flashing clip on red lights from my goodie bag:D

And the reason I recall all this, is because one of the other miscreants on the course was a Belgian lady from Brussels who apparently have had law supporting the discretionary moving off of cyclists under red for quite some time. So the French weren't the first.
  • frisbeej
    frisbeej Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options
    Bollotom wrote: »
    Trouble is you get to cycle through reds then at a rather complicated junction you go through a red and Splat!! you meet a vehicle crossing in front of you. The only way is to have totally segregated cycleways. It'd be expensive but you can't put a price on even one life. Then all roads become 'No cycles' like Mways. :cool:

It's not every junction, only marked ones and then only right turns and straight on at T-junctions.

There won't be a vehicle crossing in front of you.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    frisbeej wrote: »
    It's not every junction, only marked ones and then only right turns and straight on at T-junctions.

There won't be a vehicle crossing in front of you.

Then they should allow that for all vehicles, not just push bikes, it would reduce congestion.
    agarnett wrote: »
    You are joking I think ... the City fathers don't like cyclists hurtling through the City of London so at one of their regular meetings, they instructed City of London Police to ticket those of us who sensibly, observantly and carefully moved off from the lights a second or two before the taxis snapping at our heels! Didn't want to discuss it on any discretionary basis. Question of numbers you see, for the next meeting report ;)

That might be the case in the capital, in my area (population 2.8m) the police have issued THREE tickets for RLJing in the last THREE years!

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/cyclists-getting-away-jumping-red-9786143
  • pendragon_arther
    Options
    It might suit those that can't drive properly, ignore the rules of the road, eat chocolate ants, snails and frogs' legs but it wouldn't work in a civilised country.
    “Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”
    ― Groucho Marx
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So much safer for cyclists to be allowed to go through red!
    But not for the pedestrian who is crossing because the green man is lit while the traffic lights are red
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure