Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 153
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 31st Jan 18, 11:35 PM
    • 4,133 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    footyguy
    They cannot back bill you after 12 months it's Ombudsman's rules, they will try to tell you that they are not governed by Ombudsman's rule, hold steady & do not pay, they will back down, they have no choice.
    Originally posted by Phaeton
    What brings you to that assumption???
    What to do if you're still not happy…
    If you've followed the above stages and you're unhappy with our final written position, or eight weeks have passed and your case hasn’t been resolved, you can take your complaint to Ombudsman Services: Energy.

Their contact details are:
    Phone: 0330 440 1624 (textphone 0330 440 1600)
    Web: www.ombudsman-services.org
    Post: Ombudsman Services: Energy, PO Box 966, Warrington, WA4 9DF

Please note that you're required to have followed our internal complaints process before they will accept your case. The Ombudsman provide a free and impartial service. This will include a thorough investigation of your case. Once complete they may recommend additional action, this could be an apology, remedial action or financial compensation. If you accept their proposal, extraenergy is then bound by their decision.
    http://www.extraenergy.com/home/faq/complaints
    • D125
    • By D125 1st Feb 18, 9:54 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    D125
    avoid at all cost
    Just had a great deal from this company for a year's electricity contract which beats all the household names..... but I've not heard of them before. Has anyone heard of them or used them? Thanks
    Originally posted by JanBrighton

We left ExtraEnergy over 18 months ago and despite continual reassurances that our accounts have been closed/deleted (apologies and compensation), we are still getting Bills & 'finaldebt' emails. We are going to contact the Ombudsman tomorrow to try and get them to stop!
    • Phaeton
    • By Phaeton 2nd Feb 18, 7:44 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Phaeton
    What brings you to that assumption???
    http://www.extraenergy.com/home/faq/complaints
    Originally posted by footyguy
    It's NOT an assumption, it's what they told me!
    • regis598
    • By regis598 17th Feb 18, 9:56 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    regis598
    From my own personal experience Ombudsman Services-Energy are no better than Extra Energy. They demand non-existent paperwork and will not accept what the complainant tells them. When I made the complaint to EE they sent a letter confirming the complaint had been made and supplied a reference number. I also received ONE phone call from the person dealing with the complaint advising me that she would ring me back TWO days later. She did not ring back and I received no further communications from EE, therefore I was unable to send any other paperwork to OS-E.

During a phone call five months later I was informed by EE that I had never ever made a complaint, despite a document stating that I had. I hope this clarifies the situation.

Bearing in mind that they are funded by the energy companies one has to question their independence.
    Last edited by regis598; 26-02-2018 at 7:55 PM.
    • Flt. Lt. Biggles
    • By Flt. Lt. Biggles 18th Feb 18, 9:54 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Flt. Lt. Biggles
    From my own personal experience Ombudsman Services-Energy are no better than Extra Energy. They demand non-existent paperwork and will not accept what the complainant tells them.

Bearing in mind that they are funded by the energy companies one has to question their independence.
    Originally posted by regis598
    Disgusting innit?

The Ombudsman Service should take the word of any complainant, and not expect, let alone require, any supporting evidence whatsoever.

A mininum compo of at least £1000 per complaint should be awarded to the complainer .

Perhaps we should start our own consumer funded service to rival that of the ombudsman, eh? How much you willing to pay...?
    • Phaeton
    • By Phaeton 18th Feb 18, 4:56 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Phaeton
    Disgusting innit?

The Ombudsman Service should take the word of any complainant, and not expect, let alone require, any supporting evidence whatsoever.

A mininum compo of at least £1000 per complaint should be awarded to the complainer .

Perhaps we should start our own consumer funded service to rival that of the ombudsman, eh? How much you willing to pay...?
    Originally posted by Flt. Lt. Biggles
    The playground is over there just past the double doors on your right assuming you know which is your right at your age?
    • chas1999
    • By chas1999 26th Feb 18, 3:37 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    chas1999
    New demand for money over 3 years after I left.
    EE are the worst company I've ever dealt with and are still up to their nasty tricks.

I left in 2014 with EE owing me £100+ overpayments. It took nearly 6 months and many hours of effort and eventual Ombudsman involvement with a catalogue of errors from both of them before I got that money back plus some small compensation.

Today I have had a new bill, after some threatening phone calls from EE saying I owe them money.

They appear to be saying they paid the refund + compensation twice, the second payment in 2016, months after I'd cancelled the Direct Debit.

My records show I didn't receive that payment but I may have to pay to get bank statement copies to prove it, copies I don't want to send to them for obvious reasons.

I've disputed the bill but the phone calls said that it would go on my Credit History so I am concerned. I can foresee a legal battle.

In summary they are still a BAD company to be with. You will probably be OK but wait until they make their billing mistakes or if you leave them when they owe you money.
    • I-LOV-MONEY
    • By I-LOV-MONEY 26th Feb 18, 3:47 PM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 603 Thanks
    I-LOV-MONEY
    How about asking them to prove they sent you the payment twice?
    Thank you for reading this message.
    • lisa110rry
    • By lisa110rry 27th Feb 18, 12:56 PM
    • 1,741 Posts
    • 3,037 Thanks
    lisa110rry
    Extra Energy are at it again. 28 months after leaving them in September 2015 (I initially thought it was 2016, but it was 2015!), they called and said I had a balance to pay of £38.75, I said I had had no invoice, so they said they would send me a full invoice. It was dated 1st Feb 2018 and arrived on the 7th. You should see it, so many debits and counter credits it's almost impossible to fathom. Anyway, I got an email asking me to call a credit collection agency "regarding Extra Energy" yesterday, so I did. In the course of the conversation, it became apparent that instead of £38.75, EE told the agency the sum was £98.44 on exactly the same day, 1st Feb 2018. I sent pictures of the invoice to the very polite young man, and he stated he would contact EE and the debt was now on hold. In the meantime I had a very helpful chat with the ombudsman's office, who were prepared to open a "holding reference" and take some details, which suggests to me they do not expect EE to deal with the complaint. Anyway, I've just finished writing a letter setting out the headings of my complaint and my expected outcomes, which I've emailed to EE, and I'm about to pop off through the snow to the post office to post the hard copies "signed for".

Luckily, I'm one of those people who does everything in writing and keeps excellent records, including a previous letter requesting a final account, which was ignored, back in 2015, and monthly readings going back years, all spreadsheeted out, showing my energy costs.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
    • lisa110rry
    • By lisa110rry 27th Feb 18, 1:53 PM
    • 1,741 Posts
    • 3,037 Thanks
    lisa110rry
    I think this is why Ofgem were prepared to open a "holding reference":

SLC 27.17 requires licensees supplying energy to domestic consumers to take all reasonable steps to send a final bill or statement of account within 6 weeks of termination or transfer of supply.

It's from the standard licensing conditions for licencees.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    • chas1999
    • By chas1999 27th Feb 18, 11:49 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    chas1999
    I think this is why Ofgem were prepared to open a "holding reference":

You should see it, so many debits and counter credits it's almost impossible to fathom.

SLC 27.17 requires licensees supplying energy to domestic consumers to take all reasonable steps to send a final bill or statement of account within 6 weeks of termination or transfer of supply.

It's from the standard licensing conditions for licencees.
    Originally posted by lisa110rry
    I've been sent 3 bills all saying "Final Bill" all for the period ending 25/12/2014

The first in April 2015 showed a credit of £142 which was accurate.

Another identical one in June 2015 but by this time I'd been paid my refund plus the compensation requested by the ombudsman after a long battle with EE.

The latest this February 2018 and similar to lisa110rry "You should see it, so many debits and counter credits it's almost impossible to fathom." demanding the £212 they think has been paid to me twice.

I have asked them to prove that payment but past experience is that they promise but don't deliver.

It will be interesting to see what happens but I don't expect it to be nice.

EE was my first experience with a small energy company. It's taken me 3 years to risk another one - Bulb. All good with them so far.
    • lisa110rry
    • By lisa110rry 28th Feb 18, 10:10 AM
    • 1,741 Posts
    • 3,037 Thanks
    lisa110rry
    The more I think about it, the dodgier my situation appears. On 1st Feb they apparently drew up an alleged final account. On the same day, they referred the alleged debt to a collection agency (according to said agency who told me that in a communication to them dated the same day I allegedly owed £98.44 rather than the £38.75 they told me). Needless to say I've heard nothing from them yet. Roll on eight weeks!

eta: Chaz, don't write off the small companies! I can't fault So Energy, excellent customer service.
    ― Julian of Norwich
    • molerat
    • By molerat 1st Mar 18, 10:44 AM
    • 21,801 Posts
    • 16,014 Thanks
    molerat
    Be aware that ExtraEnergy are now reporting to Experian. My account has started being reported for the past 3 months as £0 balance and green ticks even though I left them in September 2015 !
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • lisa110rry
    • By lisa110rry 2nd Mar 18, 7:50 AM
    • 1,741 Posts
    • 3,037 Thanks
    lisa110rry
    Thanks for that Molerat, I'll keep an eye open. I did have a discussion about the potential for that with the Ombudsman Service. I am in the happy situation that I have no need for credit at present (and hopefully in the future), having no mortgage nor intention to purchase or lease a car. Even my phone is purchased outright. But if they do blacken my character I suppose it will be another fight. I just wish they would reply to my letter.
    ― Julian of Norwich
    • Farmerbob
    • By Farmerbob 18th Mar 18, 8:41 AM
    • 225 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Farmerbob
    Be aware that ExtraEnergy are now reporting to Experian. My account has started being reported for the past 3 months as £0 balance and green ticks even though I left them in September 2015 !
    Originally posted by molerat
    Molerat, have you spoken to them yet, I just checked my file and low and behold their now showing up on my Experian report despite leaving March 16 and having a 0 balance. I wonder if they just never closed the accounts off to make the customer numbers look better, it would not surprise me
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 18th Mar 18, 8:54 AM
    • 5,818 Posts
    • 2,625 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Originally posted by molerat
    Not just utility cos. do this...my credit report shows a loan from Santander with a green tick and zero balance...for a loan paid off in 2010
    • Z0rba-cheeks
    • By Z0rba-cheeks 18th Mar 18, 7:23 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Z0rba-cheeks
    I was supplied by Extra Energy for 3 years and they have been the worst experience ever!

They send you bills on their re-estimates of your consumption without asking you for a reading of the actual consumption.

In the 3 years they ignored my readings and used their own "guestimates" they didn't attempt to send a meter reader round to verify the readings.

They ignored photos of the meter displays that I emailed them.

I complained and complained and event threatened them with penalties and fines - I did manage to get over £200 in compensation - however it took 3 months of chasing them to actually get the money out of them!

TIPS:
    1. Don't waste your time ringing them, they don't make any record of the call and later deny whatever they said to you.
    2. Always email them customercare@extraenergy.com
    3. When it gets beyond a joke email executivecomplaints@extraenergy.com
    4. Always submit monthly meter reading(s) taken on the same day of the month that your contract started.
    5. If they ask you to increase your direct debit, ask them for the proof that your estimated consumption
    6. has changed
    7. On two separate occasions I cancelled my Direct Debit - it took them 10 months of incompetence before they remembered to set it up again.
    8. If you think they have messed you around, tell them you want compensation for the time and effort that it has cost you.
    What made me leave was the increase to my tariff from 0.0856p per kWh and a daily charge of 0.5480p per day to 0.1658p per kWh and no standing charge that's an annual increase of £1,010.52 on a consumption of 12,000 kWh!

So what I'm really saying is, there are other suppliers who may charge you a little more, but don't let that stop you from moving
    • lisa110rry
    • By lisa110rry 19th Mar 18, 12:39 PM
    • 1,741 Posts
    • 3,037 Thanks
    lisa110rry
    Well, after my letters, and my response to their email (in which I stated they clearly had not read my letter and would they escalate my complaint), I had a telephone call during which I was asked could they close my complaint if they simply zeroed my account balance. I said I would like a nominal £10 to cover my costs, to which they agreed. I also said I would like an email to confirm this, which was received (though I haven't had the tenner and not really bothered, it was the email I wanted). Maybe the saga is over...
    Last edited by lisa110rry; 19-03-2018 at 12:39 PM. Reason: poor punctuation
    ― Julian of Norwich
    • regis598
    • By regis598 28th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    regis598
    I left them in August 2015 and today I discover that they have put my details on Experian. It is shown as an open account and when I spoke to them about it they insisted that the account was closed.

As usual it was a case of talking to someone who couldn't comprehend what I was talking about for twenty seven minutes.

When I contacted Experian they informed me that I had to go to MSE website to challenge the entry.

It would appear that EE will haunt me for eternity.
    Last edited by regis598; 29-03-2018 at 7:42 AM.
    • I-LOV-MONEY
    • By I-LOV-MONEY 28th Mar 18, 11:28 PM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 603 Thanks
    I-LOV-MONEY
    Why the MSE website to challenge the Extra Energy entry?
    Thank you for reading this message.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,027Posts Today

7,218Users online

Martin's Twitter