scam web site

turkey_mike
turkey_mike Posts: 20
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 10 December 2019 at 12:01PM in Praise, vent & warnings
If you are buying a mobile phone be very careful, when searching on Google or MS Edge in the ads at the top of your search will be many from phoneonlineshop.com or phone locker ltd these are scam sites. The name they use Phone Locker and the address details and company details are for a phone repair shop in Sowerby Bridge, Yorkshire but it has nothing to do with them, as it says on their facebook page it is a scam web site and has been reported to the police. Please do not use this site and if you have report it to the police and let everyone else know DO NOT BUY from them, they are scammers and you will not receive a phone.
The following link shows the facebook page of the genuine shop in Sowerby Bridge and not the scam web site named above.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/PhoneLocker/posts/?ref=page_internal

Comments

• sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I wouldn't post links to scam websites even as a warning, just descriptions or maybe broken links.

I generally refuse to deal with anything Facebook, yet alone buy from a Facebook page. Really don't get it why people ever do that.
  • Hi, sorry for any confusion the link is to the genuine shops facebook page is to show the post about contacting the police and they have nothing to do with the scam, I think it is only fair to the shop to clear their name, the name of the scam site is phoneonlineshop.com or phone locker ltd and I can't warn anyone if I don't name them.
    Hope this clears things up.
  • If you are buying a mobile phone be very careful,

It's not only a case of being careful more a case of simply being sensible.
    The scam site you refer to has prices that are far too low to be genuine, for example:
    Apple iPhone X, 64 Gb, 5.8 inches, 3 Gb Ram, All Colours
    £399.00
    when trusted sellers (John Lewis, Amazon etc) have the exact same spec phone for about £800.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I'm surprised that more scammers haven't tried the "cheaper than normal but not excessively so (e.g. 15%)" angle ... they'd probably catch a lot more victims before the scam was spotted.

Most people know - if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    sadly people believe these scams, have had a lot of posts on the mortgage board about companies claiming they can claim back money on your 'mis sold mortgage' which they say is a guarantee,

guess what you need to pay money up front.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Thats why I just wanted to let people know that this was a scam site, if this stops one poor sod getting scammed I will be happy. I just wish Microsoft and Google would delete these ads that appear at the top of searches or at least have a button so that we can click and report it, mind you they get paid for ads.
  • The following link shows the facebook page of the genuine shop in Sowerby Bridge
    Do you own that shop? :D
    If so, your post is SPAM! :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family