Cheapest Boiler Cover Discussion

Options

Comments

• dogfonos
    dogfonos Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dickbob wrote: »
    I've been through all the comparison sites and I'm really struggling to find cover for our boiler. It's between 15-20 years old and all the suppliers don't seems to want to know according to their T&C's.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Short answer: No.

I question the wisdom of insuring a very old boiler because spare parts may not be available.Someone may be willing to cover/insure a very old boiler and I'm sure they'll happily take premiums from you but, when called out to fix your broken boiler, will simply state that a new boiler is required because spare parts aren't available to fix it.
  • dickbob
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts.

So are you saying there's no point in getting a service contract and that we should all get a new boiler every 7-15 years? This seems to be the limit on the polices I've seen.
  • Repeat3Times
    Options
    I am in the middle of the joy that is looking for boiler cover before winter starts, trying to keep enough of an interest to understand some things properly.

I will probably be switching to another provider who state that cover will not begin until after an initial inspection is undertaken (I suspect they'll all do this?).

Is it always the case that I'll be without cover (but paying) during the period between my current contract with one supplier ending, and waiting for the this initial inspection to be completed?

Thanks in advance.
  • dogfonos
    dogfonos Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts.

So are you saying there's no point in getting a service contract and that we should all get a new boiler every 7-15 years? This seems to be the limit on the polices I've seen.

Don't know. Two points:

I would question the boiler manufacturer and ask if all spare parts (i.e. as specified in the boiler manual) are still available for my boiler.

If not, I would ask your current cover provider the following question: What happens if my boiler breaks down and, to fix it, needs a spare part that you can't source?

On the plus side, your boiler insurer should be able to adjust things if the boiler needs it and re-connect things if something within the boiler works loose/comes apart. As I see it, that's what you're paying for. Other than that, in my opinion, there's no point in insuring a very old boiler.

I refer to the example I gave in a previous post: The £422/year spent on boiler cover would instead buy a new top quality boiler with a 7 to 10 year warrantee in about four years. Buying a new boiler every 10 years, i.e. when the warrantee runs out, would work out cheaper than having boiler insurance, in this example.
  • pjapk
    pjapk Posts: 83 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We had a bit of a scare with our (then) 8 year old boiler a couple of years ago so I had a repair done by BG & took a policy at same time. Turns out our boiler is actually in better than average condition, wasn't a major issue at the time after all (other than it happened on New Years eve!).

However, I now want to switch Gas/Elec supply away from BG as I'm on standard tariff so paying through the nose but am unsure as to whether my boiler cover policy effectively ties me to them?

I suspect not, I'm due another service but haven't taken it as yet in case it prevented me cancelling the contract etc.

Any thoughts?
  • Repeat3Times
    Options
    pjapk wrote: »
    ...I now want to switch Gas/Elec supply away from BG as I'm on standard tariff so paying through the nose but am unsure as to whether my boiler cover policy effectively ties me to them?

I suspect not, I'm due another service but haven't taken it as yet in case it prevented me cancelling the contract etc.

Any thoughts?

I assume that you have one of the Homecare boiler cover policies with British Gas? Unless you have an arrangement I've not heard of (and wiser minds will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong!), this does not prevent you from switching to a different energy supplier.

And switching away from a standard tariff is certainly a good idea. Good luck!
  • pjapk
    pjapk Posts: 83 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, having checked it last night it looks like I have the "Homecare 2" deal so I'll definitely look into switching the energy supplier - many thanks!
  • kuepper
    kuepper Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 November 2018 at 12:09AM
    Options
    Got my renewal for boiler cover from scottish power at £210 pa /£17.50 per month but noticed on their website a new application gets 6 months half price for the same plan bringing the cost down to £157.50 pa but new application boilers aren't covered for first 30 days (so not actually sure if you get 11 or 12 mths cover after that). So would it be legit to give notice to not renew my existing policy and apply for a new one to commence a day after the existing one ends ? So if my policy ends on 15 December i'd apply on 17 November and actual cover would commence on 17 December?
  • jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ....there's no point in getting a service contract...

I agree! Save yourself a lot of money by putting what you’d pay in premiums in a savings account.

When we had the really cold spell earlier this year, the companies providing boiler cover couldn’t cope. If I remember correctly it took BG weeks to fix some boilers.
  • sillisteve
    Options
    British gas quoted me £366 for renewal of Homecare boiler/plumbing/electricity cover due December. I rang and pointed out that November 2018 deal for new customers was only £211 for Homecare400 (same cover) subject to post code, so wished to CANCEL (without penalty) existing and become NEW customer. Immediately they said don't cancel, we will requote and offered me £216 (single annual payment) with a £60 excess on all call outs instead of existing excess £50 on non boiler call outs. A phone call asking for fair play for loyal customers saved me £150! As Martin says, it pays to haggle with insurance renewals.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback