What is "Off-Peak" for London Midland ?

Hi all

Need to book a return ticket from Coventry to London Euston next week for a meeting. I don't need to be there untill 11am ish but the return leg could be anytime after 5pm.

Looking at the London Midland site, I can get an "Off-Peak Return" if I click the "Open Return (return anytime)" check box, for £28

I assume this is only valid for Off-Peak travel - hence the name of the ticket. However, I am unable to find any meaningful information on any website as to what is "Off-Peak" for return travel, specifically from London Euston to Coventry on a Tuesday for a London Midland train.

Any ideas ??
“That old law about 'an eye for an eye' leaves everybody blind. The time is always right to do the right thing.”

Comments

• PZH
    PZH Posts: 1,599
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Cycrow wrote: »

Of course, I did look at the London Midland pages, but found it very confusing and not at all clear. (Hence my thread here)

According to the link for Off-Peak...
    Generally available for travel after the weekday morning peak (trains arriving into London after 0959hrs, or trains departing after 0930hrs in the West Midlands) and anytime at weekends. If you are travelling from London, please enquire for more details as restrictions vary according to destination.

So not a really helpful website...

It does go on to state...
    Please note:

Off-peak tickets to/from London are not valid on trains leaving Euston between 1645 and 1900 for journeys to Watford Junction and any station as far as (and including) Long Buckby.

Does this mean ONLY as far as Long Buckby - so no restrictions if travelling further (i.e. Coventry) ?
    “That old law about 'an eye for an eye' leaves everybody blind. The time is always right to do the right thing.”
  • notakid
    notakid Posts: 10,362
    Forumite
    Yes it does you will be fine the off peak will allow you to travel back anytime in the afternoon/evening.
    But if ever I stray from the path I follow
    Take me down to the English Channel
    Throw me in where the water is shallow And then drag me on back to shore!
    'Cos love is free and life is cheap As long as I've got me a place to sleep
    Clothes on my back and some food to eat I can't ask for anything more
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    PZH wrote: »
    Of course, I did look at the London Midland pages, but found it very confusing and not at all clear. (Hence my thread here)

According to the link for Off-Peak...

So not a really helpful website...

It does go on to state...

Does this mean ONLY as far as Long Buckby - so no restrictions if travelling further (i.e. Coventry) ?

Yes, if you get of at any station between London and Long Buckby, during the peak hours, then you can't use the off-peak ticket.

traveling any other time, or any other destinations, then its fine to use.

as a test, instead of selecting Open Return, you can enter the date/time you plan to travel back, it should then only display tickets that are valid for both directions. The off-peak ticket does display when doing this, which would confirm that its fine to use
  • PZH
    PZH Posts: 1,599
    Forumite
    ...as a test, instead of selecting Open Return, you can enter the date/time you plan to travel back, it should then only display tickets that are valid for both directions. The off-peak ticket does display when doing this, which would confirm that its fine to use

Problem is, I don't know when I will be travelling back. The meeting is scheduled to 5pm - but, depending on how it goes, it could end very early or drag on much later.

Just didn't want to find myself getting to London Euston early and then having to sit for several hours till the "Off-Peak" kicked in :o
    Yes, if you get of at any station between London and Long Buckby, during the peak hours, then you can't use the off-peak ticket.

traveling any other time, or any other destinations, then its fine to use.

Cool - so should be ok then :T
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Problem is, I don't know when I will be travelling back. The meeting is scheduled to 5pm - but, depending on how it goes, it could end very early or drag on much later.

That shouldn't matter. Depending on the website it should show you ALL the trains that return half is valid on or have a button for 'show other trains'

Still you are sorted out anyway
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 5 January 2014 at 12:46PM
    I assume this is only valid for Off-Peak travel - hence the name of the ticket. However, I am unable to find any meaningful information on any website as to what is "Off-Peak" for return travel, specifically from London Euston to Coventry on a Tuesday for a London Midland train.
    There is a website that has all the restrictions listed, however MSEs T&Cs do not permit me to link to it.

However I will quote from it:
    Origin: 1030 COVENTRY. COV
    Destination: 1072 LONDON TERMINALS
    Ticket code & name: SVR OFF-PEAK R
    Route: LDN MIDLAND ONLY
    Restriction Code: SK
    Mondays to Fridays

Valid on any London Midland
    service scheduled to arrive
    London Midland terminals at or
    after 1000

Return travel from London
    Euston is valid on any train.

All other journeys are only
    valid on services departing
    after 0845.

Saturdays, Sundays and Bank
    Holidays

By any London Midland service.
    Just be sure to take a London Midland service, not a Virgin Trains service. Other than that restriction, it's any train you want within a calendar month
    That does not answer the question
    A Coventry to London Terminals Off Peak Return ticket routed London Midland Only is valid for break of journey and/or finishing short at ANY intermediate station on the return portion at ANY time.
  • Journey time and break of journey restrictions are determined by the exact ticket held. They may differ for tickets between different origins and destinations, even if they are priced by the same Train Operating Company.

yorkie2 has posted the restrictions for the Off-Peak Return Coventry to London Terminals route London Midland only ticket, however it is not safe to assume the same restrictions apply to any other London Midland-only ticket
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure