Item didn't arrive on time. What are my options - ebay

Options

Comments

• ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 24 January 2020 at 11:03AM
    Options
    We used signed for and put the item straight in a sack without it being scanned. They only update when received. So you can't really tell anything about when it's sent. Reason is far more items are claimed go missing than actually go missing and that's why we use signed for on certain types of package. So in the OP case they are making assumptions about when items are posted when in all honesty they don't have all the information.

Soolin, RM24/48 doesn't use average weights though does it? And it would mean introducing yet another category of sack to the daily drop.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We used signed for and put the item straight in a sack without it being scanned. They only update when received. So you can't really tell anything about when it's sent. Reason is far more items are claimed go missing than actually go missing and that's why we use signed for on certain types of package. So in the OP case they are making assumptions about when items are posted when in all honesty they don't have all the information.

Soolin, RM24/48 doesn't use average weights though does it? And it would mean introducing yet another category of sack to the daily drop.

It does use average weights which works out brilliant for me. I use standard business parcels for parcels , but Rm48 for my large letters . RM24/48 doesn't give any compensation though which is worth remembering. I always work it so that my large letters average out at less than 100g so pay 87p for an estimated 2 day delivery with delivery confirmation.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The tracking number still comes up with this
    Tracking no. 37054012300005FECC0A9

Item is on it's way to the RDC.

Royal mail said they hadn't received the parcel on 21st with that tracking number. It turns up today 2 days after I flagged it up with a royal mail 24 sticker on it. Does that mean that they have only just posted it when I flagged it with them.

Have you tracked the tracknig number of the RM 24 packet you got?
  • paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,421 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    It is all immaterial anyway, If this is a business seller you can return it at your cost merely by requesting a return.

I'm not sure what else you expect to do, you obviously can't keep the item and expect a refund.

Your OP says that you have the item so your only option is a return.

We all know RM tracking especially for these untracked services can sometimes fail to update . RM24 is also NOT a guaranteed service.

But the point is that I have to pay to return it. It will cost more than its worth if I need it recording and tracked. It's not worth the hassle. Tbh
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    But the point is that I have to pay to return it. It will cost more than its worth if I need it recording and tracked. It's not worth the hassle. Tbh

As mentioned above, PayPal have a scheme where they will pay for the return postage. I don't know if it only applies to purchases after you've registered for it, or if it only has to be that the postage is after you've registered.

(This is assuming you paid on eBay via PayPal, of course.)
  • soolin wrote: »
    you don't get anything to show that RM have your item.

Customer service can advise if the parcel has had a scan at the mail center, although whether all mail centers scan the parcels I don't know.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As mentioned above, PayPal have a scheme where they will pay for the return postage. I don't know if it only applies to purchases after you've registered for it, or if it only has to be that the postage is after you've registered.

(This is assuming you paid on eBay via PayPal, of course.)

Did you register?
  • GS..
    GS.. Posts: 220 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You're entitled to a refund AFTER you've returned them as part of distance selling regulations
    No need to open a claim the seller wasn't refusing.

I bought some shin pads for my son who has started hockey. I made the purchase from a "uk" seller and delivery estimate was 17th. They didn't arrive. So on 21st I checked the tracking with royal mail. They said they hadn't received them and most likely that the seller just created the tracking number but never finished it and posted the item. So I needed the shin pads and bought them elsewhere. I messaged the original seller and said I wanted a refund.

They say they want me to wait as the item is in transit. I said I had bought some more shin pads and I didn't want them anymore. I looked at the tracking number still says the same. The parcel arrived today with a royal mail 24 label on it.

So at this rate I am stuck with 2 lots of shin pads. It's not fair cancelling the other order as they haven't done anything wrong.
    I did open a eBay claim on 21st when I first suspected there was a problem and when I asked to cancel the order
    {Signature removed by Forum Team - if you are not sure why we have removed your signature please contact the Forum Team}
  • soolin
    Options

That's correct for a change of mind return.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    Options
    Customer service can advise if the parcel has had a scan at the mail center, although whether all mail centers scan the parcels I don't know.

My mail centre definitely don't scan my inward parcels, not even my signed for. On the occasions I have a concern about a buyerhen I take my signed for to a post office and queue up for a scan and a receipt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure