Another missing DHL parcel

NickZurich
NickZurich Posts: 23 Forumite
This is a strikingly similar tale of woe to goldenarrow's recent post https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6087796

I bought a phone for £600 on ebay. On 17 Dec I got a message via ebay to say that DHL had delivered the phone 15 minutes earlier and I had signed for it. I was in at the time and my bell didn't ring. My flat is one of eight in the building.

DHL customer services say the driver has been interviewed and he maintains he delivered the phone and that all the correct delivery procedures were followed.

I reported the phone stolen to the police. The ebay seller says he can't get compensation because DHL maintain that the phone was delivered.

Customer services told me that 'my' signature was 'just a squiggle', that there was no GPS data to say the driver had been to my address, and there was no record of him checking my ID. They then said that the driver would visit me 'to rectify the situation' and that he might have delivered the phone to a neighbour. Shortly afterwards they said he had visited me but I was not at home. I was in fact home that morning and nobody came.

I have today been told that the depot manager will call me. Should I try to escalate this? So far everything has been documented in ebay messages between me and the seller, and in Twitter direct messages between me and DHL customer services, and in emails between me and the police. It's been 5 weeks since the phone was supposedly delivered and I don't want to let things drift.

Comments

• Update: inspired by goldenarrow, I've escalated this to the head of customer services. She spoke to the depot manager, who backed the driver. So DHL's final position is that they believe the driver. They say he is experienced and has never made a mistake before. They believe he did deliver the phone, and he did try to visit me to rectify the situation. And they won't send him back to make another attempt to see me. If they're right, this would make ME the criminal, for fraudulently trying to get £600 in compensation.

What are my options now? Small claims court?

I used to be a journalist - I wrote for the Daily Telegraph, Daily Mail, Financial Times and New Statesman, so I'll do my best to publicise this.
  • Is it now a Police matter?
  • I reported on Dec 19th that I suspected the driver of stealing the phone. I'm not expecting the Met to investigate. I doubt they have the resources to look into non-violent thefts.
  • Nothing much to add but if the seller has the IMEI number (I know if I was selling a phone, new or otherwise, I'd take photos of it on the box etc) can you get the police or phone manufacturer to check if the phone's been activated?
  • I can't get a dialogue with the police, there's just nobody to talk to. They don't have any resources for non-violent crime.

I think DHL might be changing their mind...they're hinting that they may compensate the seller. It could be because the driver is telling even more lies, or perhaps their PR department have told them that it's worth 600 quid to shut me up. They can find my byline in various newspapers with a quick google.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure