Does anyone here use mobile broadband instead of wired home internet?

Options
It would save me a lot of money. I also live alone and prefer reading a book to spending time on the internet.
Also, All You Can Eat mobile data seems to be getting cheaper and cheaper.
Sorry if I've missed a thread dedicated to this idea.
Regards
H

Comments

• Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use 3 mobile broadband with a data sim on the end of a usb cable, with a sim only contract. Yes it works out cheaper but there are disadvantages.

The weather effects mobile reception and speeds, and I mean seriously effects them. Unless you live next to a mobile mast this will be an issue at some point.

Nearly all prices go up with RPI now, but it's RPI calculated against the full price of your package and not the discounted price you are actually paying. Over time it does become increasingly expensive compared to the best deals for those willing to switch around.

Data speeds can, and are, restricted if the network becomes busier in your area. You can find yourself in my position of having a reducing service and prices romping up at multiples of real RPI. Which is why I'm moving on from 3.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • renegadefm
    renegadefm Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Mobile data is really only ever any good for phones, hence why its mobile data. You couldn't rely on it for watching Netflix or downloading things on a laptop or PC.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    renegadefm wrote: »
    Mobile data is really only ever any good for phones, hence why its mobile data. You couldn't rely on it for watching Netflix or downloading things on a laptop or PC.

Not strictly true, you can use it on a laptop (or PC with wireless). Just set your phone as a hotspot and connect the laptop to it wirelessly and it will go on the internet. This is useful if the landline internet has gone off for whatever reason as a temporary stopgap. Yes it'll be slow but it'll work.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ^^ Why will it be slow ?

I get a good 30odd Mb/s out of my 4g connection.

Perfectly fine for watching any Netflix you like whilst downloading something else in the background
  • oldernonethewiser
    Options
    Yet another load of incorrect info from renegadefm.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• Frank99
    Frank99 Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Had mine for years and now unlimited, unlimited data for £17 per month, no line rental charge, 5g at no extra cost which is going to be faster than fibre or so we are being told,whats not to like!

I live on high ground which might explain my good reception but my future main concern is the situation with the Government possibly blocking Huawei upgrading the networks to 5g.
    Enjoy everyday like it's your last!
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    ^^ Why will it be slow ?

I get a good 30odd Mb/s out of my 4g connection.

Perfectly fine for watching any Netflix you like whilst downloading something else in the background

It may be slow compared to your landline internet connection, but we won't all get decent connections on the mobile network. I certainly don't.
  • Hostage
    Hostage Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Interesting comments. Unfortunately the only high ground that I inhabit is the moral high ground so I can't take the risk at the moment. I keep my laptop downstairs where I can't even have a mobile phone conversation and I don't want to move upstairs particularly.

I see that it's relatively easy to pay less than £18/month for fibre broadband thanks to Broadband Choices so I'll stick with that. Maybe 5G will have revolutionised mobile data when my 18 month contract is up.
  • stehouk
    stehouk Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a holiday home on a caravan park and i use vodafone sim only 100gb data £23 per month with a samsung galaxy s8 set up as a hotspot and it is brilliant, my tv is a smart lg with netflix and amazon apps, never had a problem speed is great, wife connects her iphone to it and i browse the internet on my laptop all at the same time, 100gb data is a bit excessive though i only use approx 30-40gb per month so i will downgrade it in june when i upgrade to the galaxy s10.
    I was told that ee throttle the data at busy times because i did consider moving to them when i got the vodafone sim, i don't know how true that is.
  • l14mmg
    Options
    Yes I was on 3 and set up hotspot on iPhone and used 2 iPads and the sky box was also connected to download movies. It takes longer to download but I just watch something else meanwhile. Full sky package for 30 pm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure