Are free courses worth it on a CV?

CJRyder
CJRyder Posts: 238 Forumite
First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
edited 10 January 2020 at 8:48PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
HI everybody,

I'm looking at doing a few online courses in my spare time to put some additional skills on my (rather lacking) CV. I'm comfortable in a decent job that seems stable so this is more planning for when a SHTF moment occurs.

There are a number of courses using a few sites, but I am wondering if they're worth it for CV building. If I complete the course and don't pay for the certificate, how would I put that in a CV? For instance, if I wanted to do a Programming Language for Dummies course but don't purchase the piece of paper, would I write completed "Programming Language for Dummies Course" or "Can use Programming Language" on the CV?

As a potential employer, do you care what technical qualifications the candidate has (as in can provide you a certificate on demand) or do you prefer knowing that the skill is there?

Cheers all! Also, although "Programming Language for Dummies" is an example, I'm not just thinking of IT skills.
Mortgage free by 33 - (21/07/22 - 32 years and a bit...)

Most DIY problems can be solved by a combination of spanner, pliers, screwdriver, Allan key and a blade. (Hold it, twist it, cut it!) Very occasionally industrial language, a hammer and an adhesive may need to be added to the mix. (Curse it, hit it, patch it!)

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,614 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Nothing to stop you doing both (i.e. saying you did the course online/the skills it gave you), where the subject in question supports whatever job it is you are applying for - but be selective. Someone who lists everything from Grade 1 Piano aged 8 to the current day is asking for their cv to be binned, but if you've done a course quite recently and it has genuinely enhanced relevant skills and knowledge, no harm in saying so.

The only certificates which really count for me are those a candidate has obtained by public examinations set and moderated by an academic or professional body. Too many online courses give you too many opportunities to take an online exam any number of times until you get a pass mark - however low that may be.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • yksi
    yksi Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    For non-IT, focus on the ones which give you an NVQ. The free ones at Level 2 might not be blistering amounts of skill level, but they demonstrate an interest and commitment to the subject. There are tons out there which give a free NVQ level 2 in things like social care, business administration, autism awareness etc and might well be the thing that sets you apart from someone with no qualifications at all in that sector.

First Aid is another one which won't hurt a CV because every workplace needs someone with those skills.

Depending on your preferred line of work it might not be necessary to even quote the name of the certificate and might be fine just to list it as a skill. For example if you can code in C++ or build websites or produce stunning photography, then I couldn't give a rat's backside how you learned it, I care that you have this skill and whether you can demonstrate it during interview.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I wouldn't expect to list all courses on your CV, just those relevant to the job you are applying for. Covering letter or open statement would be where I would outline how I met their criteria eg programming course completed allowing me to xyz
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Pajaro
    Pajaro Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 26 January 2020 at 9:21PM
    No harm in it as long as it is relevant to the job you are applying for.

What is a LOT better than just listing a course that you followed, is to build a project for say the example you gave that uses your programming skills. This shows that you really have learnt the language properly and will have something meaningful to talk about if you get invited to interview.
  • I would only do any courses related to your goals, i have found that by listing various qualifications on my CV i tend to get more rejections and yet less seems to get me more interviews which might seem weird.
    I would use different CV depending on the Job Spec, only partake in courses which are going to lead somewhere, i have took part in numerous jobcentre schemes and work sector academies which led to useless certificates to feed into the shredder, Work experience is worth more than courses!
    Time Is The Enemy!
  • amandacat
    amandacat Posts: 573 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    There are quite a few free distance learning courses you can do that give you a certificate and are accredited by an awarding body. I’ve done a couple to enhance my cv. I did an I.T course and a level 3 ILM management qualification and have certificates for both. Various colleges do them and as it’s distance learning you don’t need to live close by.

Newbury college and Bridgwater college do them. Think there are others as well. Worth a look to see if they do any subjects you’re interested in.
  • I think that the main matter is in skills you are supposed to get on those courses. You can include them in CV, and point out the way you've gained it (just marked them as 'without a certificate'. As an HR manager, I can sure you that during the interview, a good recruiter finds out what you can and cannot do, what is truth, and what is false.
  • I don't think you need to mention free courses but yes, don't forget to mention what you can do. So, I would recommend using these words like " Good at Programming" and it would be great if you attach any of your projects there. Even to project your skills about programming you can create any site or sample. The showcase of your skills would project would be a nice idea to attract employers. Otherwise, it's common to use the words on a CV as I know, I can do etc. Better to use I am good at this or that and its my project.

By the way, best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport