Turning down job offer

Possibly being offered to stay on but with a reduction in wages of 28%. If I turned this down would I still be eligible for redundancy payment or have I made myself redundant?

Still in negotiations at present as I would still be expected to carry out my previous role as and when required but on a significant lesser pay grade.

Comments

• cheeky-peach
    cheeky-peach Posts: 327 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Isn't the whole point of redundancy in that the current role you do is "no longer needed/available" thus they need to make you redundant.

Not sure they can expect you to do the same role for lesser pay if the original role is part of redundancy. Unless they can fob it off as a completely different job. Have you spoken with HR?
  • farmerboy
    farmerboy Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Isn't the whole point of redundancy in that the current role you do is "no longer needed/available" thus they need to make you redundant.

Not sure they can expect you to do the same role for lesser pay if the original role is part of redundancy. Unless they can fob it off as a completely different job. Have you spoken with HR?

Its looking like they are cutting the team down and keeping some on on a dual role type of thing.(going from engineers to operator/engineer role)

As for HR, don't even know who they are, our company out source that and we have to go through our manager with any queries.

Just finding out information really, have another group meeting this week to get more info on whats happening then 1-1 meetings to follow.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you turn down a job offer, you must justify why it's reasonable to do so.

A 28% wage drop would probably qualify for that.
  • Not sure what's classed as reasonable. I don't think there's any hard list, just your and your employers opinion. If you don't agree with their opinion it's an ACAS/tribunal jobby.

I believe in most cases 28% pay cut and wildly different job role would give you reasonable justification to turn it down, otherwise everyone would be offered a less paid job and no company would ever need to pay redundancies again.

I would urge you to bring this up at your next meeting. They may agree that you can take redundancy as the role is not suitable. Going through ACAS etc would not be a quick painless process and you may not win anyway
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    How long have you been there?
    What terms are they offering

How easy to find another job.

Pay alone may be borderline for refusing as not a suitable alternative
    Anything else you can add as not suitable?
    One for an ET to decide if it went that far.
  • farmerboy
    farmerboy Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How long have you been there?
    What terms are they offering

How easy to find another job.

Pay alone may be borderline for refusing as not a suitable alternative
    Anything else you can add as not suitable?
    One for an ET to decide if it went that far.

Been here 7 years, as for terms, not exactly sure but looking like statutory pay and PILON so around £11k. Nothing else to make it not suitable as is basically the role I'm doing anyway, just the potential pay cut

Information from the company is very scarce, they still can't tell us how many will be going and when. We should be having our 1-1 meetings this week but have had nothing through as yet. At the last meeting we asked for confirmation on how many, what the process was, what they were offering etc and we're still awaiting answers!! That was a week ago. TBH we could rip them to shreads on how they have handled it, but we're all happy just to let it ride as they're still paying us full rate to sit at home mostly. Most of us are in a union but no one has used them yet, our local rep does know whats happening as he's been at our place recently for other things, he's happy to step in if we need him

As for other work, I'm pretty sure I can find another job very quick although not in the same industry as its on its backside. I wouldn't take it as far as a ET as I'm not that way inclined, but would need the redundancy to get a car for the new job as I currently have a company car, so may have to use that as some pressure.
  • superbigal36
    superbigal36 Posts: 734 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just do not apply for the new role.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business