PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2014 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• mags50_2
    mags50_2 Posts: 381 Forumite
    Got lots of veg and fruit today after I'd been to see one of our GS's in his school show. I love to see all the children and how proud they are with the work they've done :)

Will update my sig.

Stay safe x
    A family that eats together, stays together

NSD 50/365
    GC JAN £259.63/£400 FEB £346.41/£350.00 MAR £212.57/£300 APR £1/£250
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Ladyluck1 wrote: »
    No money again! The car needs some work doing and we don't have any spare cash so it HAS to come out of food budget :( so I now have whats left jn my purse for the whole month!? £22.
    Luckily my freezer and cupboards are full :) x
    Sorry about the car. Fingers xd and I'm sure you'll do well :)
    meg72 wrote: »
    I opened a big tin of Cods Roe yesterday, this gives me six portions so ate one and put 5 into freezer, opened a tin of pilchards had 1 on toast for lunch and put 4 into freezer, made a quiche on Sunday, 3 portions into freezer, so already thats another 12 meals added, must get myself a hungry dog I think:rotfl::rotfl:
    Wow - that's a brilliant idea :T Can you do that with anything tinned Meg ?
    Coxy11 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Budgets done to here :)
    Thanks for all your work Coxy

I have given up chocolate for Lent - hoping this will save me a few quid :rotfl:
    Coxy
    Good luck with the choc free challenge - you'll be savings pounds and pounds :D

We had HM potato cakes, black pudding(freezer), grilled toms, poached egg, steamed asparagus and hollandaise sauce for tea - yummy.

Spent £4.99 at Morrys on lunch stuff and YS dough balls and £26.44 at butcher (that comes out of bulk-buy fund).

Hope you all have a thrifty Thursday
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • NSD today, but simply had to shop yesterday. One of the major sm is being boycotted by a lot of people upset with their tactics towards suppliers. So they are offering super one day only bargains. Have managed to resist so far, but yesterday they were offering chickens at stupid prices. As chicken is the only meat that we do not produce or barter for it was time to stock up.

So not much money left to last the rest of the month, but meat freezer full to bursting.

went to the beach house today and the orchard was groaning with apples, pears and quinces, and picked about 50 kg of grapes.

Dinner last night was wild duck with potato and kumara mash, carrots and corn.
    Tonight is pan fried fish, chips and salad with grape sorbet for dessert
  • kayester
    kayester Posts: 1,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    yesterday turned into a spend day.
    went to help a friend decorate and it was too late to cook when i got home, so £9.20 on a chippy tea on the way back, not sure what today will be yet.
    question, if i took a meat and potato pie (uncooked) out of freezer yesterday morning, and didnt put it in the fridge until last night (we were meant to have it last night) will it be ok today?
    216/2018 (make ££ in 2018)

Grocery challenge
    Jan 227/400
    swagbucks target 2018 1452/27375
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Yesterday was another NSD taking me to 6/20. Need to go shopping today to buy some basics - bread, milk, fruit, veg etc - hopefully won't spend too much. Back later to update signature.

Denise
  • Ladyluck1
    Ladyluck1 Posts: 749 Forumite
    Soworried wrote: »
    You are so resourceful Ladyluck, you can do it :T x

Thanks, think I'll just try not to spend until I really have to...
    Tea at my mums today so that's saved me one dinner :)
    I'm C, Mummy to DS 29/11/2010 and DD 02/11/2013

Overdraft PAID OFF
    CC PAID OFF
    GC Sept £141.17/200
  • LESLAMP
    LESLAMP Posts: 110 Forumite
    Well Feb ended and march arrived without me noticing. Have been laid up for almost a week with an evil chest infection. Today actually feels like I may have turned a corner. Meanwhile my lovely Hubby has been trying to keep the house running. I did do a click and collect shop for him to collect from Tesco yesterday. It was free, everything I ordered was there and apparently the staff where really friendly so will be trying that again. Not sure where our March spends stand but will go on a receipt hunt soon and update.

Am hoping to keep March spend well under £400
    Credit Card £[STRIKE]2332.04[/STRIKE] at 1st Jan 14 now £2089 :mad:
    Joint debts currently £[STRIKE]25000[/STRIKE] £17388 Debt Free date dec [STRIKE]Jan 2025[/STRIKE] :(2022:)

PAD since 20/08/15 £61.16
  • Sorry to hear about the car Ladyluck! You can do it! :)

I had a team lunch today but spent pretty much exactly what I had planned. Did give in to chocolate in the afternoon though, *sigh*

I'm under lots of stress at work at the moment and I think it's making me crave sugar! :mad: I will just have to get more creative about bringing snacks from home.
    I just had pasta for dinner with an interesting collection of ingredients - mexican beans, half a capsicum (= red pepper :D), some broccoli and grated cheese. Not half bad! I was quite impressed seeing as I'd been having one of those 'but I don't have ANYTHING to eat' moments. I'll have the rest of the beans tomorrow for breakfast (provided I get up in time) :rotfl:

Just went through the sm catalogue and there is lots there that I might actually use - so will stock up in the next few days. Plus they have an offer on at the moment - spend $50 a week for the next three weeks and you get a $30 gift card (was originally $15 but it just went up!) Just have two more weeks to go, so I'm planning to stock up on pantry essentials and things for supper at church that won't go off - always good to have a stock of things available!

:j:j:j
    March 2020 grocery challenge $921.76/$500AU
    April 2020 grocery challenge $744/$800
    May 2020 GC $724.11/$750
    June 2020 GC $370.31/$700
    July 2020 GC $316.87/$700
  • Ali-OK
    Ali-OK Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    First spend of my March budget came in at £38.83 using the £5 off £40 Ald! voucher. We are well stocked now for store cupboard items, dog food and DS bottled water and have a meal plan for the next 2 weeks.

We have enough YS meat for all the Sunday lunches this month and 2 days of LOs from it.

I've batches of chilli, bolognese, chese and onion potato cakes and cottage pies to make and ingredients all in, so spending will be limited to fresh and the forgotten noodles (even though it was on my list :o)

Determined to come within my budget this month. Week 1 down, 3 shops to go. :)
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

CC - £3,300 on 0% til 04/2020
    CC - £4,500 on 0% til 02/2019
    Loan - £12,063.84 as at 4/1/18
  • kayester wrote: »
    yesterday turned into a spend day.
    went to help a friend decorate and it was too late to cook when i got home, so £9.20 on a chippy tea on the way back, not sure what today will be yet.
    question, if i took a meat and potato pie (uncooked) out of freezer yesterday morning, and didnt put it in the fridge until last night (we were meant to have it last night) will it be ok today?

I think it would be okay - was it quite a big pie or a little individual size one? I would use it for sure, but then I have a cast iron stomach! Make sure you heat it through thoroughly though.

Haven't had any breakfast yet as was up in night with DD who has a really awful ear infection - perforated eardrum now...

Have got a chicken carcass in the fridge so want to make chicken veg and barley soup with that - that will do me for lunches for the next few days and am planning to make a sweet potato bake as I have loads of them (made a mistake on my online order and ended up with 5 bags:o) - just sweet potatoes, seasoning and butter baked and top crisped up. Don't know what we will have with it but I have loads of stuff in the freezer - might defrost some chicken thigh fillets and have them. Also need to use up a big bag of salad so will make a big salad to go with.

NEED to have a NSD today. Have decided that I have given up cakes, biscuits and crisps for Lent.

Have a good day everyone!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure