Glasses Buying Cost Cutting Plan Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    For the last couple of years I've used "specs by post" and always found them an excellent company to deal with. Their products are reasonably priced and delivery very prompt. I've no connection with them other than as a happy customer.
  • pezlaa_2
    pezlaa_2 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Hope someone gets some use out of this.

10% off at Glasses Direct.

Click: www .freeglassesforlife .co .uk (google this or remove the spaces.

Recommend a friend and get 10% off.
  • coolio_2
    coolio_2 Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know somewhere that just puts in lenses to existing frames but for -7.5 prescription and for a decent price?
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    coolio wrote: »
    Does anyone know somewhere that just puts in lenses to existing frames but for -7.5 prescription and for a decent price?
    Most of the high street opticians will do that for you. You would be better if you had them made in high index lenses so as they don't look too thick and also they will not be too weighty if you do that.
  • jicms
    jicms Posts: 482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    coolio wrote: »

I think most of them will do this. Just try a Google search for "glasses own frames". Examples are -
    www.specs-by-post.com/glasses/pc/Reglazing-your-own-frame-c46.htm
    www.glassesdirect.co.uk/glasses-reglaze/
    www.onestopglasses.co.uk/products/own-frames-products.html
    www.eyeexperts.co.uk/reglaze-glasses.htm
  • FIL!!*_2
    FIL!!*_2 Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Hi coolio, I can only give advice on one company on the internet that I know of, as we use them to glaze the glasses from my practice when my lab tech is on holiday/away. The quality of thier work has always been first class. I don't really agree with this type of thing as it does have an adverse affect on the High Street Optician (though that is a well argued point), there is room for all of us as long as the customer/patient care and needs always come first! Have a look at ciliaryblue see what you think?
  • peaksoft
    peaksoft Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Beware if you decide to take up Glasses Direct's home trial frames offer.

The deal seems perfect - they require a £5 deposit, in return for which they will send you four sample frames to try on.

If you return the frames within 10 days, they will allow the deposit against your purchase.

However, here's the snag - they seem to have a recurring 20% "discount" in place for anyone....but they won't allow you to have both the "discount" and a return of your frames deposit.

Should have gone to Spex4Less, to paraphrase a certain TV ad!
  • glassesdirect_company_representative
    glassesdirect_company_representative Posts: 99 Organisation Representative
    edited 18 June 2009 at 1:52PM
    Options
    peaksoft wrote: »
    Beware if you decide to take up Glasses Direct's home trial frames offer.

The deal seems perfect - they require a £5 deposit, in return for which they will send you four sample frames to try on.

If you return the frames within 10 days, they will allow the deposit against your purchase.

However, here's the snag - they seem to have a recurring 20% "discount" in place for anyone....but they won't allow you to have both the "discount" and a return of your frames deposit.

Should have gone to Spex4Less, to paraphrase a certain TV ad!

Hi, I'm David Carruthers the UE manager for Glasses Direct, and Just wanted to comment on this.

Firstly, I'm really sorry about the discounts not being combinable. We're trying to resolve this as we realise it feels unfair. Unfortunately our systems don't currently allow us to do it, so we're looking at modifying them so you can combine these discounts. (The £5 is a service fee to cover our costs and not strictly a deposit, but we give a £5 discount off your next order in return so it should work out free if you end up buying something)

The home trials program is something that no-one else offers across their entire range, and the 20% discount was a short term sale that finished yesterday (Wednesday) unfortunately.

It felt to us that both of these were great customer deals in their own right, so even though combining them is not currently possible it's worth making them both available.

When another discount is available then either one can be entered at the checkout for the greatest benefit, ie, for a £100 order, rather than entering the £5 discount code from the Home Trial, you can enter the 20% discount code and get £20 off your order total.

In the mean time, if you do wish to combine the discounts then you can contact customer services who can do this for you.

I hope this is helpful, as I'm not trying to advertise, just respond to the previous post.

All the best!
    dvc
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Glasses Direct. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • peaksoft
    peaksoft Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ...and the result of this is that when I called Glasses Direct this afternoon, they were immediately as good as their word.

They said they had been in error by not allowing the discount in the first place, and they would put matters right now.

Obviously, it's a pity that I met a brick wall when I originally tried to put the case to one of their employees yesterday, but on reflection, I think the real test of a good company is not necessarily whether or not they make mistakes, but whether they are willing to sort things out.

So ultimately, they've got a satisfied customer after all.
  • bigzippy
    bigzippy Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    Options
    This little debate caught my attention, so I went to Glasses Direct's site as I am looking for some prescription sunglasses...I figured £5 wasn't unreasonable to try 4 pairs of sunglasees at home....except you can't have sunglasses on the home trial, as I discovered. :rolleyes: I can't imagine anyone buying sunglasses at some of those prices without having tried them first unless they've seen them elsewhere, in which case you'd have to be recent with stock and very competitive on price... I fear Glasses Direct are missing a trick here...
    "I am indelibly stained by hope and longing" - Nuts in May
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure