Plusnet - contract ending soon

egyptiancotton
egyptiancotton Posts: 525 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
edited 19 June 2019 at 11:17PM in Broadband & internet access
Currently with Plusnet on a 12 month contract paying £8.51 a month (with LRS) for Unlimited Fibre Extra. Speeds were about 63Mb down and 12Mb, but since Openreach did some work on the cabinet I'm connected to, speeds have dropped to about 57Mb down and 8Mb up. Plusnet are currently looking into what's gone on.

To recontract, Plusnet originally offered £11 a month for Unlimited Fibre Extra with LRS, which I wasn't fussed on, as new customers can get the same product for £28.50 a month (or £9.51 with LRS). I was told I couldn't get this deal. I spoke to another advisor tonight who asked what deals I had seen elsewhere and what I was looking for, and I mentioned I'd like to stay and pay the same price as new customers; BT is more expensive so I'm not that fussed on going back to them. I was surprised to hear him say that I could sign-up again as a new customer online or he could do it for me over the phone.

I was thinking about dropping to a cheaper package as I don't think I need the speeds I originally signed up for. I watch 4K streaming, game online, etc. Plusnet estimated the speeds I can get for Unlimited Fibre Extra Broadband are 37 - 56Mb down and 9 - 14Mb up, or for Unlimited Fibre Broadband I could get 37 - 40Mb down and 8 - 10Mb up.Would the speeds offered by Unlimited Fibre be sufficient for 4K streaming?

I was previously with BT and when I placed an order with Plusnet, they threw some pretty good offers on the table (obviously because I was actually due to leave). Would it be worth placing an order with BT to leave Plusnet, to see what offers they come up with to tempt me to stay? Although I could just sign-up for one of their new customer deals, which the advisor I spoke to tonight said I could do.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If streaming 4K then stick with Unlimited Fibre Extra or it's equivalent from someone else. See if you can get the £50 reward card or credit.
  • To be honest, I don't stream 4K that often. Is it still worth sticking with Unlimited Fibre Extra?
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Depends whether you think you're going to use the extra bandwidth or not. It's estimated that you can get away with a 25Mbps connection for pre-recorded/streamed 4k, though for live streaming of 4k 50Mbps is recommended.

Note that you'd need to add all your other data usage on as well so if you live on your own you may be able to get away with an up to 38Mbps package, whereas if it's you and 2.4 children you probably won't.
  • Tofu_eater
    Tofu_eater Posts: 86 Forumite
    Don't join Plusnet!!!
    Really,they are so,so bad!
    You'll be fine if everything goes to plan but if anything happens....you'll need customer service.....you'll rue the day you ever have to get Plusnet's customer service to do anything for you
  • Neil_Jones
    Tofu_eater wrote: »
    Don't join Plusnet!!!
    Really,they are so,so bad!
    You'll be fine if everything goes to plan but if anything happens....you'll need customer service.....you'll rue the day you ever have to get Plusnet's customer service to do anything for you

Yeah I think we're a long way past that, considering the OP is already with Plusnet...
  • I'm considering leaving Plusnet if they don't sort my problem out.
  • Neil_Jones
    Well if the issue is at the exchange which it sounds like it is since the issue only occurred after the work is done, what makes you think moving provider (which will use the same infrastructure as you are now) will make any difference?
  • egyptiancotton
    egyptiancotton Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 June 2019 at 11:16PM
    I have a feeling it's a profile issue which would be resolved by switching ISP. I didn't experience any speed changes switching from BT to PN so something''s happened recently with PN for my speeds to drop.

I'm maxing out at 57Mb down and 11.5Mb up, so I began to wonder if I was paying for extra speeds that I don't really need over and above 40/10. I live on my own, so there aren't multiple people using the broadband. Interestingly Sky quoted about 39Mb down and 9Mb up but my line syncs much faster than this.

Edit: TalkTalk has quoted £24 a month on an 18 month contract and about 34-37Mb down and 8.5-9Mb up. Plusnet is offering a 12 or 18 month contract. What would you recommend - 12 or 18 month contract?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure